GMC:er
Hi, so I sold my epiphone les paul custom and want to replace it
Here is sort of what I am looking for:
price: under $1000 USD
play clean, blues, heavy rock, not interested in active pickups at all
24 frets
Fast neck
Would prefer coil tapping not necessary
I would also like a trem but something that is manageable and not complicated, ie not an original floyd, I can live without the trem though
Here is a list of guitars I am considering
PRS SE Custom 24
ESP LTD EC 1000 - with the seymour ducans
ESP LTD MH 1000
Shecter Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy GX
I also want a guitar with proper fret markers, I really like the look of the Schecter C1 Classic but I wouldn't be able to locate frets with that thing haha
There are also a few Ibanez models I'm looking at but it seems they all use cheap pickups

Can anyone suggest any other models to look at because I'm heading into Toronto on the weekend where they have a much bigger selection of guitars

Cheers!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Feb 18 2009, 03:25 AM
Just a note about the C-1 Classic, it really isn't any harder to find the frets, although it seems like it would be. Even if it was, there actually are still side markers (dots on top side of the neck), so no worries there.

And just thought I'd throw it out that I still think Schecters are the highest quality instruments you can find for the price. The quality of the parts and construction is unbelievable for the price, really. If you're shopping on a budget under $1000, then make sure you try one out for sure!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
inertia
Feb 18 2009, 03:50 AM
Thanks Zephyr, I didn't realize about the fretmarkers, that's awesome, that one will be on my shortlist then

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Feb 18 2009, 04:19 AM
Instructor
I'd go for the PRS but that's just me, I love those guitars tongue.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Feb 18 2009, 04:30 AM
Really, you cant go wrong with the C1-Classic. People think that the inlays might confuse you, but, like Zephyr mentioned, it still has the side markers.

Definitely go for the C1-Classic or the EC-1000 (with Seymours). The ESP is a great guitar if you like the Les Paul shape, but they're thinner, so people say they sound more like SGs than LPs (they kinda do). Really, you can't go wrong with either one smile.gif

This post has been edited by Fullmetal_Tmd: Feb 18 2009, 04:31 AM

+Quote Post
sigma7
Feb 18 2009, 04:49 AM
you cant go wrong with esp's but they are usually the best whjen they are really expensive, the cheaps ones are like any other guitar

if you want to get a good shredding guitar, I recomend a jackson or schecter

make sure thoguh you go to stores and try out all the guitars and see which one fits you

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Feb 18 2009, 06:43 AM
What is coil tap.

I'm selling a guitar, and someone asked me if my guitar had it. I didn't have an answer for him

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
sted
Feb 18 2009, 10:09 AM
Learning Rock Star
OMG!! Finally someone who doesnt want an Ibanez!!!

I think im going to faint!!

Have a look at a strat mate, i know it hasnt got 24 frets but it never bothered Gilmour or Clapton wink.gif I know its not on your list but it is ideal for the type of playing you go for, and they are infintely upgradeable too.

+Quote Post
Yanzibar
Feb 18 2009, 10:39 AM
QUOTE (Sircraigery @ Feb 18 2009, 06:43 AM) *
What is coil tap.

I'm selling a guitar, and someone asked me if my guitar had it. I didn't have an answer for him

If Humbuckers can sound as a single coil element, for an example: If you switched you're lead humbucker on, it could give you the option to use the single coils within the humbucker seperatly. This is used to simply get a single coil sound wink.gif. If you still don't understand the coil tap here's a link where it is explained: Guitar coil tap and guitar coil tapping

xD's
Yannick

This post has been edited by Yanzibar: Feb 18 2009, 10:40 AM

--------------------
My gear
I play a Jay's sound strat like guitar
Line 6 spider III Amp with 30 Watts
New gear is coming ;)

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Feb 18 2009, 11:12 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
From your suggestions I would go for either the PRS or the Epiphone, but seriously, you should check out those guitars yourself, after all YOU will be the one playing on your new guitar, so YOU have to like it. Try as many guitars as possible, only like this you can really compare them and see what you like most in the end.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
29a
Feb 18 2009, 10:40 PM
QUOTE (inertia @ Feb 18 2009, 02:50 AM) *
I also want a guitar with proper fret markers, I really like the look of the Schecter C1 Classic but I wouldn't be able to locate frets with that thing haha!
I have a C-1 and it's absolutely no problem because there are dots on the neck. Besides the inlay has "dots" / spirals where the fret markers would normally be. I can absolutely recommend you this guitar!

Jonas

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 18 2009, 11:50 PM
Instructor
My vote on 2 guitars, but as everybody said, try them all out if possible in local stores, and see how they fit you.

PRS SE Custom 24
ESP LTD EC 1000 - with the seymour ducans

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
berko
Feb 18 2009, 11:56 PM
My vote would also go for the PRS. But that's personal preference cuz I love those guitars and have tried several SE models (Tremonti and Paul Allender signature stuff inluded; I even layed my hand on a hollow body custom featuring the double soapbar setup ph34r.gif ).

It doesn't have locking tuners and there are no locks at the nut either so if you like abuse the whammy bar then it goes out of tune pretty easily. Other then that, it's really cool looking, very light, has a good action and a comfortable neck. The pickup configuration allows you many different styles and thus versatile playing! smile.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Alex Lewis
Feb 19 2009, 12:20 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
prs all the way if not then try the ltd

--------------------

+Quote Post
inertia
Feb 19 2009, 03:04 AM
Thanks for the feedback everybody, I'll definitely try as many as I can and hopefully leave the music store in Toronto with a new guitar. If I get the PRS I will definitely put locking tuners on it, as has been mentioned it will go out of tune pretty quickly without them. I just love the sound of seymour duncans though so I guess we'll see.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 19 2009, 02:51 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (inertia @ Feb 19 2009, 03:04 AM) *
Thanks for the feedback everybody, I'll definitely try as many as I can and hopefully leave the music store in Toronto with a new guitar. If I get the PRS I will definitely put locking tuners on it, as has been mentioned it will go out of tune pretty quickly without them. I just love the sound of seymour duncans though so I guess we'll see.

I recommend PRS but its really up to you to see what guitar feels like "the one" in your hands...Once you try all possible choices you will easily know which one to get..Good luck with the music store visit! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
inertia
Mar 5 2009, 02:44 AM
So I ended up getting an ESP H-500, it suited me almost perfectly (except without tremolo), it's a discontinued model similar to H-1000 without the fancy inlay work. It has the 24 frets, the 2 duncan pickups that I wanted, awesome grover tuners that stay in tune, and the best part is the 5 way switch. Normally you don't see that much on humbucker guitars as far as I know, but you basically get 2 out of the 5 settings use one coil from each humbucker at half output so it's not as hot and quite single coil sounding, totally amazing, couldn't be happier. And it was only $700 Canadian, which I guess is about $600 USD. It reminded me very much both in playability and look to the Schecter C1 Plus but with way better pickups.

Here are the specs:
* Construction/Scale: Set-thru / 25-1/2"
* Body: Mahogany with flamed maple top
* Neck/Fingerboard: 3-piece maple/rosewood
* Nut Type/Width: Earvana compensated/ 42mm
* Neck Shape: Thin U
* Inlays: Abalone dots
* Frets: 24 extra-jumbo
* Binding: White (B/N/H)
* Hardware: Black nickel
* Tuners: Grover
* Bridge/Tailpiece: Tune-o-matic style w/ String-thru body
* Pickups: Seymour Duncan JB (cool.gif / 59 (N) Active
* Electronics: Vol / Tone / 5-way switch

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Mar 5 2009, 02:57 AM
QUOTE (inertia @ Mar 5 2009, 02:44 AM) *
So I ended up getting an ESP H-500, it suited me almost perfectly (except without tremolo), it's a discontinued model similar to H-1000 without the fancy inlay work. It has the 24 frets, the 2 duncan pickups that I wanted, awesome grover tuners that stay in tune, and the best part is the 5 way switch. Normally you don't see that much on humbucker guitars as far as I know, but you basically get 2 out of the 5 settings use one coil from each humbucker at half output so it's not as hot and quite single coil sounding, totally amazing, couldn't be happier. And it was only $700 Canadian, which I guess is about $600 USD. It reminded me very much both in playability and look to the Schecter C1 Plus but with way better pickups.

Here are the specs:

very good choice man! I almost bought a H1001. It was a very very very close second, only I didn't like the lacquered neck.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 5 2009, 07:26 PM
Instructor

Here are the specs:

Awesome specs man, congratulations! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 5 2009, 11:30 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor

Here are the specs:

Congrats on making a choice!! May it serve you well! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:44 PM