Guitar And Working Out
Salivtomte
Sep 23 2007, 10:06 AM
GMC:er
Does any of you know anything about the cons of doing physical workouts while trying to improve guitarskills.

I have recently started going to the gym (again) and i dont feel as comfortable picking as i did before, it feels like my wrists has gone more stiff then they where before, after lifting weights.

so the question is, should i avoid lifting heavy weights with my hand if i want to improve my guitar skills?

thx/john

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Robin
Sep 23 2007, 10:19 AM
Hmm, remember to stretch out biggrin.gif

Mr. Petrucci shows some good wrist stretches here: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LL-QD0kZqA8
and alot more.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Robin: Sep 23 2007, 10:35 AM

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Sep 23 2007, 10:39 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
This is odd, ive always heard it helps you. Maybe you just need to adjust to it.

+Quote Post
Soul_Decision
Sep 23 2007, 10:45 AM
QUOTE (Salivtomte @ Sep 23 2007, 02:06 AM) *
Does any of you know anything about the cons of doing physical workouts while trying to improve guitarskills.

I have recently started going to the gym (again) and i dont feel as comfortable picking as i did before, it feels like my wrists has gone more stiff then they where before, after lifting weights.

so the question is, should i avoid lifting heavy weights with my hand if i want to improve my guitar skills?
thx/john

If your wrists feel stiff it's because you are either using wrong technique for lifting wieghts or it's a result from strength training. Meaning your muscles are still trying to recover from the workout. Keep lifting for a few more days and see how it goes.

This post has been edited by Soul_Decision: Sep 23 2007, 10:48 AM

--------------------
Push through all barriers.......Never self-limit.........Because there is none

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Sep 23 2007, 11:01 AM
Solution = Get a heavy guitar (ex. Les Paul) and bench press it while shredding! laugh.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif mellow.gif dry.gif Or not.

+Quote Post
JOhn
Sep 23 2007, 11:09 AM
I found I was worse to becuase my arms used to always hurt from doing weights so i stopped.

--------------------
The only man it's OK to love is Paul Gilbert.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 23 2007, 11:13 AM
QUOTE (Zephyr @ Sep 23 2007, 05:01 AM) *
Solution = Get a heavy guitar (ex. Les Paul) and bench press it while shredding! laugh.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif mellow.gif dry.gif Or not.

Haha

QUOTE (JOhn @ Sep 23 2007, 05:09 AM) *
I found I was worse to becuase my arms used to always hurt from doing weights so i stopped.

NO PAIN NO GAIN

QUOTE (Soul_Decision @ Sep 23 2007, 04:45 AM) *
If your wrists feel stiff it's because you are either using wrong technique for lifting wieghts or it's a result from strength training. Meaning your muscles are still trying to recover from the workout. Keep lifting for a few more days and see how it goes.

Most likely, your just not used to it. Make sure you do some warm-ups plus some stretchs.

I used to lift weights. I did for 2 years. NEVER got in the way of playing guitar. It actually helped it. Helped stenthen my fingers, from holding the bar. My shoulders. It helped me overall. But then again. I had near perfect techqniue, because i took it SUPER SERIOUS. Maybe a little 2 serious.

Oh yeah. Make sure when your playign guitar, AND lifting weights. Stay relaxed and properly breath. It will help also. Tension is bad to certain point. You must be relaxed, but also have a certain amount of tension. Quotes from the great Shawn Lane.

This post has been edited by Ryan: Sep 23 2007, 11:15 AM

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
JOhn
Sep 23 2007, 11:20 AM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Sep 23 2007, 08:13 PM) *
Haha
NO PAIN NO GAIN
Most likely, your just not used to it. Make sure you do some warm-ups plus some stretchs.

I used to lift weights. I did for 2 years. NEVER got in the way of playing guitar. It actually helped it. Helped stenthen my fingers, from holding the bar. My shoulders. It helped me overall. But then again. I had near perfect techqniue, because i took it SUPER SERIOUS. Maybe a little 2 serious.

Oh yeah. Make sure when your playign guitar, AND lifting weights. Stay relaxed and properly breath. It will help also. Tension is bad to certain point. You must be relaxed, but also have a certain amount of tension. Quotes from the great Shawn Lane.

what i meant was after doing the weights not while doing them. So i would do heaps then after (a few hours) my arms would kill so i stopped doing weights.

--------------------
The only man it's OK to love is Paul Gilbert.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 23 2007, 11:31 AM
QUOTE (JOhn @ Sep 23 2007, 05:20 AM) *
what i meant was after doing the weights not while doing them. So i would do heaps then after (a few hours) my arms would kill so i stopped doing weights.

Ahh, never happened to me dude. After a while. I needed to work out. I had to or i would die from exhaustion, and didnt have energy to play guitar. So yeah. I dont know hwat your problem was.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jenkinson
Sep 23 2007, 11:41 AM
I asked myself the same question, after getting back into weight lifting this past summer. The conclusions I have drawn from it are this:

1) It will not effect your guitar progression
2) Stretch before you play & Stretch before you workout
3) Try not to play for a few hours after you workout, your muscles will still be tense from working out
4) I talked to a few guitarists about it and they all have told me the same
5) I decided for myself that is was ok, I just took a look at Zakk Wylde, he clearly lifts... and shreds

+

6) Who doesn't want to look good when your up on stage and things get crazy and your adrenaline causes you to rip your shirt of and continue rockin! cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hungus
Sep 23 2007, 11:43 AM
QUOTE (Salivtomte @ Sep 23 2007, 09:06 PM) *

thx/john

Are you talking about like coming back from the gym and then practicing guitar or a few hours later?
If thats what you mean just do your guitar practice before going to the gym..... or just 'harden up' and you will get used to it.

QUOTE (Ryan @ Sep 23 2007, 10:13 PM) *
NO PAIN NO GAIN

QFT

I found when I was lifting weights the day after a good workout my muscles would be tired and aching but if I done the same workout or more the next 3 days in a row the pain would eventually go away and I would start to make huge gains..... But I think you gotta spend at least 2-3 hours.

You gotta be very careful not to hurt yourself, you need to stay very intune with your body and have a good stretching routine before and after otherwise you will screw yourself up

QUOTE (JOhn @ Sep 23 2007, 10:20 PM) *

To quote Ryan again "No pain, No gain"

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 23 2007, 11:45 AM
QUOTE (Jenkinson @ Sep 23 2007, 05:41 AM) *
I asked myself the same question, after getting back into weight lifting this past summer. The conclusions I have drawn from it are this:

1) It will not effect your guitar progression
2) Stretch before you play & Stretch before you workout
3) Try not to play for a few hours after you workout, your muscles will still be tense from working out
4) I talked to a few guitarists about it and they all have told me the same
5) I decided for myself that is was ok, I just took a look at Zakk Wylde, he clearly lifts... and shreds

+

6) Who doesn't want to look good when your up on stage and things get crazy and your adrenaline causes you to rip your shirt of and continue rockin! cool.gif

HAHA, I 2ND THAT

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hungus
Sep 23 2007, 11:59 AM
Oh Ryan I forgot to ask you this in my previous post you are experienced with working out and practicing....

Lately when I have been practicing fast stuff I have noticed the back of my shoulder, around where the arrow points to the subscapularis on wikipedia, starts to get tired and sore really quickly... Just wondering if you think this would be because I have gotten really unfit or I am just using bad technique?

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 23 2007, 12:11 PM
QUOTE (Hungus @ Sep 23 2007, 05:59 AM) *
Oh Ryan I forgot to ask you this in my previous post you are experienced with working out and practicing....

Lately when I have been practicing fast stuff I have noticed the back of my shoulder, around where the arrow points to the subscapularis on wikipedia, starts to get tired and sore really quickly... Just wondering if you think this would be because I have gotten really unfit or I am just using bad technique?

Well this happens to me to man. I will play classical style, and sometimes switch it up. My left arm will start hurting. Like when I stand up, and play. Sometimes my shoulders will start hurting after a hwile. There is many reasons that this coudl be happening.

YOur not used to it.
Bad Technique.
Not staying relaxed.
Not enough strength to go for long periods.

There is many reasons. Just try and stay relaxed. Stretch some. and make sure you warm up properly. And check your technqiue also. I cant really be for sure. And also. Try playign classical style for a bit. It might help. I like to switch back and forth. Sometimes i can get the feel for the blues better just the regular way with it on my right leg. Sometimes its better for me. Soemtiems not.

Just try a few things out. Stretch, breath, relax, warm-up properly. If those dont work. Check the techinque.

Also, i remember another thing. Try eating better, i remember if you didnt eat decently good. You wouldnt get better at lifting weights, and become stronger. Make sure you body gets what it needs. Its a big thing!!!

This post has been edited by Ryan: Sep 23 2007, 12:13 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hungus
Sep 23 2007, 12:26 PM
Cheers man.... I have spent ages making lots of tiny adjustments to everything I do so I think maybe its cause im hell unfit cause its my 'push up muscle' that is giving me the problems and I havent worked out properly in about a year which is pretty shocking. Motivation is such a hard thing to get sad.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Soul_Decision
Sep 23 2007, 12:35 PM
QUOTE (Hungus @ Sep 23 2007, 04:26 AM) *
Cheers man.... I have spent ages making lots of tiny adjustments to everything I do so I think maybe its cause im hell unfit cause its my 'push up muscle' that is giving me the problems and I havent worked out properly in about a year which is pretty shocking. Motivation is such a hard thing to get sad.gif

How long have you been having shoulder problems?

--------------------
Push through all barriers.......Never self-limit.........Because there is none

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 23 2007, 12:43 PM
QUOTE (Hungus @ Sep 23 2007, 06:26 AM) *

Hm, yes Maybe your muscle is just under developed. But hmm I try playing the guitar classical style, or well opposite of what your already doing. Then after a while. Switch back. And see if that doesnt help some. I coudl help more if I was there with you, but yeah.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hungus
Sep 23 2007, 03:17 PM
QUOTE (Soul_Decision @ Sep 23 2007, 11:35 PM) *
How long have you been having shoulder problems?

Its not eactly a problem... well it is a problem but not in the way you are thinking I dont think. It just feels like the muscle is doing more work than it seems to be, like it just feels tired quickly as opposed to strained. it probably is just from under use though. I will have to start doing push ups again as it is one of the main muscles that gets used for that......

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Asphyxia Feeling
Sep 23 2007, 03:22 PM
i think it could be that you just started working out again, so your muscles are sore afterwords. i'm sure after a while that soreness will disapear and your guitar skills will be unaffected.

--------------------
What did you learn tonight?
while shouting so loud, you barely joyous, broken thing.
You are a voice that never sings, is what i say.
You are freezing over hell
You are bringing on that end you do so well
and you can only blame yourself, is what is say.

+Quote Post
symon
Sep 23 2007, 10:55 PM
Ok Hungus and Ryan in regards to shoulder pain the pain you are feeling could be from a number of muscles that make up the rotator cuff and upper back i know for me its rhomboid muscles that cause a fair bit of trouble you use these muscles whilst pulling your shoulder blades back like the way you pull your left shoulder back to hold the neck of the guitar also most people will have active trigger points in infraspinatus and levator scapula is usually another hot spot
check out this site http://www.mypressureproducts.com/index.htm and click on the pain chart look for the muscles i have mentioned you could then have some one at your own discression apply bearable pressure say an eight out of ten with there thumb or other rounded object to the trigger points shown for aprox thirty seconds or so you should feel a slight release and the pain will become more tolerable do this several times have a quick read about what trigger points are and also there are some stretches shown
also having tight over developed chest muscles can make rhomboid problem worse as it pulls your shoulders forward so try to have a balanced work out routine that includes upper back exercises also
ok now the disclaimer i have a diploma of remedial massage but i am no doctor do this at your own risk if pain still persists you really should see a health professional this is only what i would do if you should follow the above advice please do so at your own risk smile.gif
lastly there would be people on here with greater anatomical knowledge to mine so please keep an open mind to other suggestions

hope this helps
warm regards symon

This post has been edited by symon: Sep 23 2007, 11:01 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:39 AM