How To Attack Floating Fr Bridge, after going from thick to thin strings
Rowan
Jul 30 2009, 03:00 PM
GMC:er
Hi,

On my Jackson RR24 I had .11s and now ive went to .10s

Ive put the strings on and the guitar is in tune (im sure) but the bridge is sticking up.

I have 2 springs in the back of the guitar.

What is the best way to fix this, do I screw inwards or outwards from the back etc.

Also I want my whammy bar to be very loose and easy to use, last time I had to push it quite hard to get it down this time I want it very easy like ive seen im some videos.

All help is greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Rowan

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Jackson RR24 Snow White
Schecter C-1 Exotic Star w/ EMG 81-85
LINE6 PODxt Live w/ all additional patches
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Celestion Vintage 30

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

https://www.youtube.com/ScottR31
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sigma7
Jul 30 2009, 03:05 PM
what i would do is screw inwards but only until the bridge is sticking up halfway. This is so I can pitch hike both ways (up and down) and the whammy will be loose. Yes, so screwing inwards will bring the bridge down.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rowan
Jul 30 2009, 03:07 PM
Ok ill screw them up the way, but also what I think im noticing is when I screw up the bridge goes down but then I have to tune from b to c so it goes back up again because its getting tighter...

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 30 2009, 03:21 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Rowan @ Jul 30 2009, 04:00 PM) *
On my Jackson RR24 I had .11s and now ive went to .10s

Ive put the strings on and the guitar is in tune (im sure) but the bridge is sticking up.

Sounds odd that the bridge sticks up if you added thinner strings. Oh well, could be the rest of the strings on the .10 are thicker.

For a bridge sticking up, first things in your case would be to add a third spring, second to tighten the screws (clockwise)

QUOTE (Rowan @ Jul 30 2009, 04:07 PM) *
Ok ill screw them up the way, but also what I think im noticing is when I screw up the bridge goes down but then I have to tune from b to c so it goes back up again because its getting tighter...

it takes time to set it up. You have to tune your guitar inbetween tightening the screws until you finally get it set up straight.

+Quote Post
Rowan
Jul 30 2009, 03:26 PM
Before I had like 3 or 4 springs and I went down to 1 because it felt better to push down, then I added a second but thats as far as I got, how do you make the whammy easier is it less springs?

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 30 2009, 03:51 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Rowan @ Jul 30 2009, 04:26 PM) *
Before I had like 3 or 4 springs and I went down to 1 because it felt better to push down, then I added a second but thats as far as I got, how do you make the whammy easier is it less springs?

Ok, I never got that you had more springs before.
Yes, removing springs would make it more easy. I like some resistance myself, I have five in my Charvel. Feels too sloppy with three and I can only imagine two wink.gif
It'll be more stable overall with more springs aswell which is a plus in my book.

+Quote Post
Jesse
Jul 30 2009, 05:18 PM
Hm, I went from 10's to 11's in a strat, and I just put 3 more springs in:D
Got a real heavy whammy, but just got to develop strength and it'll be fine!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:49 PM