Making A Living With Music
David Wallimann
Feb 7 2008, 02:40 PM
Instructor
We all want to make a living with our guitar.

But not all of us will end up in a multi-million album selling band.
But there are many ways now to make it as a musicians.
GMC is a good example of a new way that one can make money teaching online.

There are many ways we can earn a living with music.

Let's all brainstorm and post some of these ideas here.

I'll start with what I do:

Teaching:
Find someone who isn't as experienced as you, and teach him what you know on the guitar. Offering a discount for 4 lessons is a good way to build income.

Create backing tracks:
If you are able to record from home, you can create custom backing tracks for other musicians. A good idea would be to find a vocal teacher in your town, and tell him about what you do. Chances are that some of his students would bve interested in having custom tracks made by you for cheap instead of buying a karaoke CD.

Any other ideas?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 7 2008, 02:55 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Great topic Wallimann !

Playing in a band :

You don't need a multi million selling album to make money...If you have a band try to play as many gigs as you can and you will be able to make some money out of it..You can play covers with your band if your not into making original music (sometimes easier way to gigs)..I would suggest smaller number of people in a band and money split equally between members..As your band gets more famous the commissions for gigs will increase..Try to find a person who will act as a manager and who will book you gigs in clubs... smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Feb 7 2008, 02:56 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
jammer91
GMC:er
Creating Backing tracks is a creative idea (also teaching in sites like GMC).

Here are some obvious ones:
-Playing in a band
-Playing as a solo artist
-Playing for T.V shows
-Being a gear technician for a band
-Work in a music store
-Manage or work for a music company (i heard managers of Fender require an MBA and atleast an intermediate level of guitar playing ability)
-Making music instruments (maybe have your own guitar company)
-After being a musician you will have a better chance of starting your own music instrument store and franchising the right brands

There are millions of things you can do with a musical ability. Playing teaches you a lot of skills which other carrear options probably steer off from. Even university nowadays look for students who play an instrument. So being a musician isint just about playing live or recording.

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Aside from the whole rock band thing, Movies, TV shows, commercials.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
JensN
Feb 7 2008, 04:14 PM
We have the computer game business as well.
Writing and recording music for games could possibly bring in some cash and would probably be a different challenge.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Feb 7 2008, 04:19 PM
Get to da Chopper!
jingle writing for adverts/commercials

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Feb 7 2008, 05:06 PM
Great topic!
here's a couple:

Teach lessons
Own or Work in a music store
Build guitars for a company or make your own custom stuff

But I want the multi-million dollar band. biggrin.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 7 2008, 05:16 PM
Singing Instructor
being a profesional studio player.....

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
zoom
Feb 7 2008, 05:18 PM
Learning Roadie
play in coffee shop

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Feb 7 2008, 07:46 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Playing for solo artists(singers).

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Feb 8 2008, 01:03 AM
Instructor
music is big field if you can open all the doors you can make a good money .
for me its going good with me from teaching /composing/recording/bands/instrumental rents for gigs and festivals
commercial works /adding track for musicians/fixing instruments and many more also GMC sorry i for get it;.
i think with this big field we can live a good life

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 8 2008, 01:08 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Songwriting (freelance for music companies)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 8 2008, 01:27 PM
Lets go fishing!
Some great ideas David. I would love to get to the point here I could teach via the net and live. It would be great to open young peoples minds to music smile.gif Instead of just taking the easy way out and playing computer games all day etc like my newphews do wink.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Feb 11 2008, 05:05 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Session musicians are always needed- even Dream Theater get them in (cello, saxophone etc) - pop groups etc need guitarists wink.gif

+Quote Post
Iron King
Feb 12 2008, 03:10 AM
well all the ways were pretty much covered, except for one... which is the worst

if you play in a band you can impress the ladies in the crowd, get together with them and then mooch off them...
Sad I know, but a lot of guys do it. A lot of girls like that whole struggling artist thing

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:05 AM