2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Opeth
PanicProne
Dec 17 2008, 10:38 PM
GMC:er
I find it hard with opeth. It's one of those bands whom, when looking at all the other I listen to really should top ny list but doesn't. I think the main thing is I never really liked death or "metal metal". Anyway, I've seen them live twice (at festivals) and I gotta say they're extremely talented musicians. But thing still is, their music never gets to me...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mandos
Dec 17 2008, 11:57 PM
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opeth

When news leaked that the band was signed to Roadrunner, who predominantly worked with trend-oriented rock and metal, some fans accused the band of selling out. "To be honest", Åkerfeldt said, "that's such an insult after 15 years as a band and 8 records. I can't believe we haven't earned each and every Opeth fan's credibility after all these years. I mean, our songs are 10 minutes long!"

And they've been playing for 18 years now.

Not pointing any fingers, but I just read that article and found the quote suiting for the thread.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
[color="#808080"]Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Gothic with EMG 81 and 85, Crafter Acoustic, ESP LTD F-205

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Dec 18 2008, 12:34 AM
Wow, I can't believe you are calling Watershed more accessible then for example Ghost Reveries. Imo Ghost Reveries is by far the most accessible and polished Opeth record. I happen to love polished albums so it's all good. But Watershed is less accessible than Blackwater Park for me. Accessibillity for me is not something that has to do with what kind of vocals there are etc, but more about how the songs are built.

Also, watershed is amazing. Maybe not the best release this year, but still amazing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
VinceG
Dec 18 2008, 01:04 AM
QUOTE (Mandos @ Dec 18 2008, 03:57 AM) *
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opeth

And they've been playing for 18 years now.

Not pointing any fingers, but I just read that article and found the quote suiting for the thread.

I find that last sentence to be quite weird to be honest. It doesn't matter if your song is 30 seconds or 10 minutes long, its how you attract and keep the balance of the song to the listener. For instance, Vital Remains makes very long songs, but there quite boring. I think, so what Akerfeldt if your songs are still 10 minutes long, ITS JUST BORING compared to your older songs that are more thought out.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 18 2008, 03:49 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I think he was making a joke.

And Vital Remains is awesome smile.gif

+Quote Post
VinceG
Dec 18 2008, 04:20 AM
They are, there older stuff at least. Icons of Evil wasn't bad, but would be better if they trimmed it down by 15 minutes haha.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 18 2008, 04:24 AM
I think I can see what you mean, Although I like Icons Of Evil more than Dechristianize, BUT, Dechristianize is my favorite song by them.

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Dec 18 2008, 02:26 PM
Learning Apprentice Player

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
jer
Dec 18 2008, 02:45 PM
I dont know what he's saying but HE SURE MEANS IT!!!

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
midnight
Dec 19 2008, 04:47 AM
I'm pretty new to Opeth, great band!

My favorites are My Arms, Your Hearse, Orchid and Blackwater Park.

The whole Prog metal scene is something I only started getting into over the last year and a half...I've been into Mastadon somewhat, but that's about it. All that stuff sounded so weird to me. Took some time for me to understand and appreciate.

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Dec 19 2008, 09:57 AM
Opeth is my alltime favorite band.. the closest thing to them for me is Daylight Dies and they aren't half as amazing.. people say steve wilson ruined opeth.. but as a porcupine tree and blackfield fan i think it made opeth better.. polished albums too me are better than wanna be good albums that just don't hit the mark. I really loved Ghost Reveries and i really love watershed. Roadrunner is doing a great job with opeth just like Dream Theater and Constant Motion biggrin.gif. Sorry another album that really comes close to opeth albums with me is Colours by Between the Buried and me and live they put on almost as good a show as Opeth. But Opeth is just top cheese as far as melodic death metal goes in my books smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Dec 19 2008, 07:06 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Dec 19 2008, 03:57 AM) *
Opeth is my alltime favorite band.. the closest thing to them for me is Daylight Dies and they aren't half as amazing.. people say steve wilson ruined opeth.. but as a porcupine tree and blackfield fan i think it made opeth better.. polished albums too me are better than wanna be good albums that just don't hit the mark. I really loved Ghost Reveries and i really love watershed. Roadrunner is doing a great job with opeth just like Dream Theater and Constant Motion biggrin.gif. Sorry another album that really comes close to opeth albums with me is Colours by Between the Buried and me and live they put on almost as good a show as Opeth. But Opeth is just top cheese as far as melodic death metal goes in my books smile.gif

I saw Opeth, Dream Theatre and Between the Buried and Me on the same bill this past summer smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 20 2008, 03:52 PM
As did I, I saw them on Progressive Nation a few months back, It was a fantastic show, One of the best performances from every band.

+Quote Post
Paiva
Dec 26 2008, 03:34 PM
Love them! Damnation is great probably buying watershed. I'm more fan of the softer stuff but for christmas i got Thee Candlelight Years that has the first 3 albuns they are awesome too.

I will leave here a interview with THE GUY!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/...ongwriting.html

--------------------
GEAR:

Guitars:
PRS SE Custom
Epiphone SG Special
Antonio Pinto de Carvalho Classical Guitar
Fender 12 strings
[/color]

Amp:
Epiphone Studio 10s combo
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe!!!!!!!!!!

Pedals:
Kork AX5G
Boss RC-2

2nd song :) Please go check it and post something ;) (again link below)

+Quote Post
jer
Dec 26 2008, 04:06 PM
great interview, thanks!!!

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:51 AM