New Workout Thread !
Ben Higgins
Feb 6 2011, 10:51 AM
Instructor
Hi Guys,

I thought it's about time we resurrected the subject of pumping iron ! I know there's an old workout thread.. but it's old.. so that's why I'm starting a new one. wink.gif

I recently reduced all of my physical activities (including guitar) in order to let my arm fully recover from an old case of RSI. Not playing guitar at all for 2 weeks wasn't fun but things are getting much better than they've been in years and when I'm 100% I'll be looking at bringing weight training back into my routine.

I know there's a few of you on here who use the weights and are much more experienced than me. I'll be looking for about 2 days a week to dedicate to weights, 1 day for certain body areas.. and the 2nd for the other areas. I've also recently started learning Karate so I've got a lot of other physical activity keeping my cardio rate up.

I'll be using free weights at home.. dumbells only, I don't have a bar sad.gif I've done periods of weight training over the course of last year so I'm not a total beginner but I'm also out of practice so I wondered if you guys have any tips and experiences you can share. I don't wanna get HUGE but I would like to pack on more muscle and improve the strength of my joints, particularly elbows and shoulders which are weak points. I'm currently about 138 lbs at just under 5'8 if that means anything. Also I'd be interested to know your training routines too so we can keep this thread going ! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Feb 6 2011, 11:35 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
del-4fr53e3
Feb 6 2011, 10:57 AM
Learning Tone Master
If you are going to be doing a lot of workout at home, I recommend Steve Cotters Encyclopedia Of Bodyweight. It's a great DVD showing a whole lot of excersises you can do without any equipment smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 6 2011, 11:32 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Feb 6 2011, 09:57 AM) *
If you are going to be doing a lot of workout at home, I recommend Steve Cotters Encyclopedia Of Bodyweight. It's a great DVD showing a whole lot of excersises you can do without any equipment smile.gif

Thanks I'll check that out ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Feb 6 2011, 12:08 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
One of the best workouts is a "high intensity" work out. Its not gonna make you huge but instead will make you muscular and rock solid. The aim isn't to achieve Hulk-like brute strength, but instead a combination of strength and endurance. In the 11 years I've been going to the gym, this is one of my favorites.

So what is a high intensity work out? Its a whole exercise regiment with little to no breaks in between sets, and as the name suggests, its pretty intense. For example, you will do 10 repetitions of bicep curls, then do 10 repetitions of tricep presses, then repeat, until you do a total of 100 for each muscle, with no rests in between. As you could imagine, it won't take you long to go through the whole exercise - thats the beauty of it, its a condensed exercise. You can do it 4 to 5 times a week, and it won't eat up too much of your time.

Don't let it scare you though, because at first it will be tough. When I first started doing it I got sick to my stomach smile.gif But you will be surprised how fast your body adjusts, the body is an amazing thing.

I just started getting into kettlebell exercises. The standard weight for a kettlebell is 35 lbs, but let me tell you, its really more than it seems. Just go on youtube and look up some kettlebell exercises, theres dozens of videos with beautiful women demonstrating exercises with kettlebells. Its also another exercise you can get done within 30 minutes, and therefore can do it more frequently throughout the week. Definitely recommend it.

By the way, I'm typing this with a serious hangover, so if the sentences are incoherent and make no sense, I apologize in advance. I'll stop by tomorrow and give a more comprehensive and coherent reply wink.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 6 2011, 12:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Feb 6 2011, 11:08 AM) *
I just started getting into kettlebell exercises.

By the way, I'm typing this with a serious hangover, so if the sentences are incoherent and make no sense, I apologize in advance. I'll stop by tomorrow and give a more comprehensive and coherent reply wink.gif

Yeah I looked those up earlier after Sollesnes mentioned Steve Cotter... they look INSANE ! I can only imagine what it's like working with those things.... ohmy.gif

Your ramblings are fine and perfectly understandable !! Maybe you didn't drink enough ??? tongue.gif

Thanks for the advice.. add as much workout chat here as you want, I want people to use this thread to chat about all things iron and hopefully be a source of advice and inspiration to anyone else looking to get into it.

+Quote Post
superize
Feb 6 2011, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I have started going to the gym more frequently now and i hope to increase it even more when Floorball season is over. The only negative side is that i dont have a gym partner but now but when the summer comes that will change . you get so much more motivated when you have some friends to work out with.

My goal with the training is to be stronger and loose some weight to be able to become a better floorball goalie.

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 6 2011, 12:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (superize @ Feb 6 2011, 11:22 AM) *
I have started going to the gym more frequently now and i hope to increase it even more when Floorball season is over. The only negative side is that i dont have a gym partner but now but when the summer comes that will change . you get so much more motivated when you have some friends to work out with.

That's really cool Superize. I imagine that having a friend would make the whole gym experience easier and you can push each other and make sure you don't slack. The good side of going alone though is that you don't end up chatting.... apparently it's best to get to the gym, get your workout done as efficiently as possible, then get out. Testosterone levels in our body dip after about an hour, so if you get your workout done in that time, you're more likely to get good results.

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Feb 6 2011, 12:59 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Due to my new years resolutions, I go to the gym three times a week for a full body workout, so every muscle gets worked three times a week. This is the most efficient method for me. Also, everytime I can manage to make 15 reps in all three sets I'm doing I will increase the weight newxt time I hit the gym. This way, I have doubled the weight I can lift or push since the beginning of the year. I have started with low weights though, but now I can move weights I have never moved in my life! I will have to take a break though since I'm getting a tattoo next wednesday...that brings me to a question: how long did you stay away from sports when you got your tattoo, Ben?
Anyway, since my training is really intense I realize that my forearms tend to get tired more quickly when I play guitar, especially when I practice really fast stuff. But well...guitar playing alone won't get you girls, you gotta look buff as well! tongue.gif
Edit: I really prefer training alone since I think it's more effective, e.g. your pauses between sets won't get too long etc...a little bit of Death MEtal in my iPod does the motivational trick for me tongue.gif Nothing better than having Angela Gossow from Arch Enemy scream in your ear while your wondering if you can really do another rep laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Gitarrero: Feb 6 2011, 01:01 PM

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Feb 6 2011, 02:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
Yep, having someone to train with is a good motivation, I'm currently doing a lot of running with a friend
to get ready for the Copenhagen Marathon in May.

When it comes to lifting weights it's important that your body is ready for it.
You can easily get stronger muscles, but other parts of your body adapt slower even your bones.
Without any training it is recommended to only train with weights that you can lift 12-15 times.
After 4-6 months, you can start lifting heavier, that would be weights that you can lift 8-10 times only.
Some months later you lift around your max at 6 repetitions.

All of this is off course individual. It depends on your body.
Which condition you are in. How often you train.
And off course it depends on why you want to train.

I recommend training the same part of your body twice each week.
Once a week is not much to get improvements.
But also don't train too much, your body needs rest, or you will just break it down, you even risk a real depression by overtraining.

To sum it up. Go easy in the beginning, but regularly.
Also if you get stuck, make small changes in your programme, for example using other machines/excercises.

If you have a trainingpartner I have a fun game for you:
You start on all fours, like you are about to do push ups.
You are across from each other, and now you try to slap each other on top of the hands.
You win a round, if you slap your partner and you don't fall to the floor at the same time. Best of 5 or 7!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Feb 6 2011, 02:15 PM
Experienced Rock Star
I'm still waiting to go to the gym but somehow I always delay that task over guitar playing laugh.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Fre
Feb 6 2011, 06:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
I was told that if you want to become strong, you need to lift heavy weights few times. If you want to become BIG, you need to do long runs with lighter weights.

I'm a rugby player, so I have to train on my muscles. Since I have to go to rugby training 3 times a week and I'm at school during day, I don't have/make time for the gym. Every night, before sleeping I do some exercises. Push-ups, sit-ups mostly. Sometimes pull ups. I don't put much time in it. 10-15 minutes a day. Maybe I should check out this dvd Solle mentioned.

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Feb 6 2011, 06:38 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
If You want to practice at home I would advice kettlebells, just like Mudbone. These are very good at improving "everything", especially if You do some complex exercises. Really good if You also train martial arts. Lets just say the thing is getting more and more popular amongst MMA fighters.

What is more, there is a theory that kettlebells were used by Ancient Greece athletes. While it means little, it sounds badass tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fre
Feb 6 2011, 09:39 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Feb 6 2011, 06:38 PM) *
If You want to practice at home I would advice kettlebells, just like Mudbone. These are very good at improving "everything", especially if You do some complex exercises. Really good if You also train martial arts. Lets just say the thing is getting more and more popular amongst MMA fighters.

What is more, there is a theory that kettlebells were used by Ancient Greece athletes. While it means little, it sounds badass tongue.gif

Ok, great.
Thanks for the advice!!

+Quote Post
dark dude
Feb 6 2011, 10:04 PM
GMC:er
Ben, if you're really unable to join a gym (would be heaps better), you can buy a few items to design a bodyweight home workout. Take a look at http://www.beastskills.com/, it's basically gymnastics-inspired style training using equipment you can have at home (chin-up bar, rings, parallettes and resistance bands). You'll need to be able to do a few pushups before you can do a muscle-up or a few chin-ups until you progress to a one handed chin, etc.

A workout should last around an hour, the idea being that you go in, pump it all out, get out.

Before you start working out, you need to think about your goals: for fat loss, endurance, you do more reps per set (looking at around >12), for hypertrophy (i.e. for size), 8 - 12 reps and for strength 4 - 7. These numbers are just a guide.

Your diet is incredibly important. You can have a good workout routine, and a rubbish diet and you won't make a lot of progress. The same goes for supplements such as protein shakes, creatine and multivitamins, they form ~5% of your progress. You must look into how much you eat and what you eat and obtain the right levels. This also varies depending on your targets. Generally, you'll be taking in a lot of protein regardless, but carb and fat levels will vary (you also require fat in your diet, however there are different types of fat, think extra virgin olive oil).

To echo good ideas already posted, it'd be a good idea to gradually get into a serious routine by doing a month or two of high rep exercises to get your muscles used to it and decrease chance of injury. Sleep is incredibly important if you want to gain in the gym. Drink a lot of water. Lastly, every person is different, a workout and diet that works very well for one person, may not work well for you. It's all about seeing how your body reacts to your training and tweaking it. A training buddy is great for motivation and for safety, music to get you pumped also helps. Complexes (i.e. exercises such as deadlifts and barbell squats that work multiple muscles, allowing for increased efficiency) are a better idea than isolated exercises (e.g. dumbbell curls).

There's a tonne of information, but my advice would be to check your diet and get doing something just to get into the swing of things. Too many people attempt to put exercise off until they find that perfect routine. Check this site for a lot of good quality info.: http://www.t-nation.com/. Try not to be intimidated smile.gif

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Feb 6 2011, 10:10 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Fre @ Feb 6 2011, 06:22 PM) *
I was told that if you want to become strong, you need to lift heavy weights few times. If you want to become BIG, you need to do long runs with lighter weights.

I've heard the opposite. Doing simpler excersises in longer runs makes your muscles more compact.
But I am not workout-holic, so I'm sure others here know much better than me smile.gif

+Quote Post
dark dude
Feb 6 2011, 10:33 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Fre @ Feb 6 2011, 05:22 PM) *

Yes, if you want to become stronger, as heavy as you can for a low number of reps.

If you want to bulk up, the weights need to be lighter as you'll be doing more reps with them, not as many as for fat loss, but still more.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 6 2011, 11:34 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I was going regularly to gym last year but now in lack of time (and gym being moved) I have focused on working out at home. I'm currently doing workout with EA Active (fitness game) on wii and I'm also going to incorporate P90X DVD course. I'm really amazed how fitness game can be fun and effective so far (EA Active). It also fits perfectly my schedule and training sessions are well organized and efficient.

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Feb 6 2011, 11:35 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 7 2011, 11:43 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Feb 6 2011, 11:59 AM) *
I will have to take a break though since I'm getting a tattoo next wednesday...that brings me to a question: how long did you stay away from sports when you got your tattoo, Ben?

I wasn't doing sports but with all my tattoos it was usually a week before I could resume normal activities... I would still be careful though until it had healed fully. smile.gif

Thanks for the advice and tips Ulrik and Dark Dude ! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Fre
Feb 7 2011, 10:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (dark dude @ Feb 6 2011, 10:04 PM) *
Take a look at http://www.beastskills.com/, it's basically gymnastics-inspired style training using equipment you can have at home (chin-up bar, rings, parallettes and resistance bands). You'll need to be able to do a few pushups before you can do a muscle-up or a few chin-ups until you progress to a one handed chin, etc.

This site isn't for beginners smile.gif But I did found some usefull tips. Thanks man!

Question: Is it bad or unhealthy in any way to do exercises before you go to sleep? (right before)

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Feb 7 2011, 11:59 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
When you plan your workout, bear in mind that there are two different types of muscle fibers: fast-twitch muscle and slow-twitch muscle. Fast-twitch fibers are bulkier than slow-twitch fibers, provide short bursts of strength, and are generally responsible for all out brute strength. These muscle fibers respond best to exercises that utilize heavy weights and low repetitions. If you want to bulk up, these are the muscle fibers you want to target.

Slow-twitch fibers are responsible for endurance, and are what enable you to do a repetitive task for long periods of time. They are not as bulky as fast-twitch fibers, but performing exercises that target them can provide great results, such as enhanced muscle definition. Exercises that target these muscle fibers generally use lower weights but higher repetitions.

Of course whenever you exercise you use both types of muscle fibers, you really can't isolate one set. Thats why its good to rotate your schedule every now and then, so you can completely develop your muscles. Now if you're exercising at home it will be difficult to target fast-twitch muscles, unless you have a full gym in your house. It takes a lot of weight to stimulate fast-twitch muscles, and you'll be surprised by how fast you grow out of the weights you have at home, no matter how big you are to begin with. If you are a man with testosterone flowing through your veins, than you will adjust, guaranteed wink.gif Don't get too excited, its takes a long time to get big, its not something that will happen unexpectedly. You'll get to where you're comfortable, then just maintain. If you've never worked out before, you'll be able to double your strength within 3-6 months, maybe even less. The human body is pretty incredible, just give it a chance.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:18 PM