First Pedal!, Whitch one to get?
Wh1skey
Aug 26 2008, 11:59 AM
GMC:er
Yay, finally got a PayPal account, the idea to subscribe to this site was in my head for some time now smile.gif

I have been living on Guitar + Marshall MG40 for a year, no pedals, no nothing tongue.gif So, I'm looking for a pedal, whitch one to get? Price should be capped at 100$.

Currently I'm looking at Boss DS-1, DS-2, Metalzone, what do you guys say? I play rock-grunge-metal tongue.gif

Cheers,
Newbie..

P. S. Damn, wrong category, move this to "Gear" section, please, thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Wh1skey: Aug 26 2008, 12:10 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Aug 26 2008, 01:00 PM
Instructor
mmm Ibanez tubescreamer is a great option, specially if it's modified by Keeley !!! amazing wink.gif but it's a bit more expensive... but you can find second hand pedals for a reasonable price biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 26 2008, 01:01 PM
Learning Tone Master
What do you wnat from yoour pedal? Solo boost, an effect, delay or a metal distortion? Or something else?

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 26 2008, 01:05 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well what effect do you like ? Anyway I would really suggest you to buy a wah pedal , Crybaby 535q or similar...Its a really must have pedal for many genres and also really fun to use! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Aug 26 2008, 01:06 PM
METAL MUFF

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 26 2008, 01:10 PM
Instructor
Do you need more distortion out of your Marshall? Do you like how Marshall drive sounds? I think with a DS1 or DS2 you will not get a nice pedal that you can boost your Marshall drive. On the other hand if you need DS1 and DS2 to practice with them on the clean channel on bedroom volumes it's OK to buy them, they are good only for that.

If you like your Marshall drive channel and just wanna make it more distorted, I suggest getting Tubescreamer TS9, and try to buy a modded one, to resemble to TS808. The other option (that I use currently) is SD1, nice mild overdrive that can serve as a booster for Marshall as well.

As far other pedals goes, if you don't need distortion, get a wah or delay pedal.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Aug 26 2008, 01:11 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 26 2008, 02:15 PM
Lets go fishing!
Is your amp Tube/Valve driven? If it isnt, I would recommend against buying pedals like the Tubescreamer as these pedals are designed to work with valve amps, and will have little effect on your tone wink.gif

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Aug 26 2008, 02:16 PM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Noangels
Aug 26 2008, 02:28 PM
You should get enough overdrive out of your amp,and if your happy with your tone dont bother sticking a booster in the chain.If you dont like it,then get a TS9 or DS1-as these pedals are realy good at what they do

If your happy with your tone,then get a crybaby and bring something else to your playing:)

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
Wh1skey
Aug 26 2008, 02:40 PM
Thanks for all the responses smile.gif

I like my amp's overdrive effect, really nice. When gain is on MAX, it's a bit too much and messy, besides that it's ok, i like how it sounds. But, it's not a pedal, you know, so, because I need to switch from clean to disorted, or whatever, I need a pedal! Yeah i need metal distortion (distortion = overdrive?), delay isn't needed..

Uhm, Crybaby or DS-1? tongue.gif The price difference is pretty huge though..

+Quote Post
Noangels
Aug 26 2008, 02:47 PM
cool,now I know the full picture I can easily say overdrive pedal.Get a nice clean sound on your amp and use the pedal for your dirty tone.
Best bet is to google online for soundclips,as there are so many out there to choose

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 26 2008, 03:02 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Playing grunge as you do there's a pedal called Grunge from Digitech. I have that one, I'm not too fond of the grunge settings but a little dialed back it gives the sweetest 80's hard rock tone which is more useful to me smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 26 2008, 03:09 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Wh1skey @ Aug 26 2008, 03:40 PM) *
Thanks for all the responses smile.gif

I like my amp's overdrive effect, really nice. When gain is on MAX, it's a bit too much and messy, besides that it's ok, i like how it sounds. But, it's not a pedal, you know, so, because I need to switch from clean to disorted, or whatever, I need a pedal! Yeah i need metal distortion (distortion = overdrive?), delay isn't needed..

Uhm, Crybaby or DS-1? tongue.gif The price difference is pretty huge though..

Do you have a footswitch for your amp , so you can switch between clean and overdrive channels ? That way you don't need a pedal smile.gif

Between Crybaby and DS-1 I would not choose much wink.gif Wah is a very good effect and you can find a lots of use of it in songs etc , and its just fun to practice it and play wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 26 2008, 03:10 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
There's the Digitech DF-7, which I have never tried but has really good reviews, and it models 7 different pedals from metalzone to overdrives, muff etc.

If I were to get a distortion pedal, I'd get the DF-7.

have you considered getting a multieffect box instead of a pedal? Something like a POD or a Pandora, they deliver great tones plus a load of effects. (For home use).

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
inertia
Aug 26 2008, 03:27 PM
I would get a Fulltone OCD or a BB Preamp, they both have amazing and warm distortion, but are also so well designed that they can work simply as a boost. I think they hands down sound way better than the typical boss distortion pedals and even a bit better than the tube screamers. Plus I believe they both have true bypass, so when you have them turned off they won't color your sound at all. So if you want better sound and versatility go for one of these. Of course this is only my opinion smile.gif

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 26 2008, 03:38 PM
Lets go fishing!
Is this a tube amp though?

Im seeing some great suggestions for some amaizing pedals but I fail to see the point if its a solid state amp unsure.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
kjutte
Aug 26 2008, 03:45 PM
QUOTE (Wh1skey @ Aug 26 2008, 12:59 PM) *
Yay, finally got a PayPal account, the idea to subscribe to this site was in my head for some time now smile.gif

I have been living on Guitar + Marshall MG40 for a year, no pedals, no nothing tongue.gif So, I'm looking for a pedal, whitch one to get? Price should be capped at 100$.

Currently I'm looking at Boss DS-1, DS-2, Metalzone, what do you guys say? I play rock-grunge-metal tongue.gif

Cheers,
Newbie..

P. S. Damn, wrong category, move this to "Gear" section, please, thanks!

A delaypedal without doubt, if your amp has distortion.

+Quote Post
Skalde
Aug 26 2008, 04:25 PM
Learning Roadie
I prefer the Digitech Metal Master. In my opinion its sounds much better than the DF7 by Digitech.
If you play live and are satisfied with your tone in general. I would suggest the "MXR M 108" I think its the best equalizer you can get. It can create an awesome tone and it helps you to reajust your sound to the situation when you play live.
On the Digitech website you can listen to some samples.

This post has been edited by Skalde: Aug 26 2008, 04:30 PM

+Quote Post
Wh1skey
Aug 26 2008, 04:51 PM
No, my amp doesn't have a foot switch. And the thingie is, when I go to studio I don't play with my amp smile.gif With pedal just settin' warm clean sound sounds easy <3

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 26 2008, 05:56 PM
Instructor
Ah so you need a pedal to play in a studio and at home. Well it should definitely be a distortion pedal then.

Well I would recommend DS1 for that, although DS1 can be pretty edgy and acquard sometimes. I suggest that you first try in a store several different pedals, like these here:

Boss DS1
Boss SD1
Boss Mega Distortion
Boss Metal Zone

These are all different pedals and not expensive, so you should get a pretty good picture how every one of them sounds. Then you can choose the one you like the best, the choice is after all yours smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
PanicProne
Aug 26 2008, 07:09 PM
To em, hte best pedal in the world is the Boss TU-2. But if you want something to help develop your sound and options I say a crybaby or a delaypedal should be it!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:07 PM