Opinions On Ibanez Rgt320z
HexDump
Sep 14 2008, 02:32 PM
GMC:er
Hi all,

I´m in the process of buying a new guitar. My Ibanez RG has been with me during 7 years but now I notice it is poor at some points like sustain, tremolo, and sound on the highest frets (among other little things).

I like Ibanez sound, and when I saw the Ibanez RGT320Z I felt in love with it. I´m not an experimenced guitarrist and I´m not too much aware of all brands, prices, features, etc... but this guitar sounds extraordinary to me. Could anybody give any feedback about it? other options, etc...?

By the way this is the guitar: RGT320Z

Thanks in advance,
HexDump.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 14 2008, 06:38 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
It definitely looks good, and i've heard good things about the trem on this. You should try it before you buy it though.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
HexDump
Sep 14 2008, 07:16 PM
Well, it is not possible for me to try it, because I can´t fidn any place selling this on spain. I should order it from germany.

Anyway, I have geard some samples and it seems pretty amazing. More opinions are wellcomed though.

Tahnks in advance,
HexDump.

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Sep 14 2008, 07:32 PM
VERY nice Guitar. i have played it, i know for a fact That Ihsahn of Emperor uses this guitar alot, and he appeared with it in his Guitar World Photo shoot. one of my Most Wanted guitars, HIGHLY Recommended!

This post has been edited by Guitarman700: Sep 14 2008, 07:33 PM

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 14 2008, 07:49 PM
Instructor
This guitar does look awesome, but it is more important to try it out and see if it fits you. If you don't feel comfortable playing it, and don't feel like the sound is good, don't buy it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
HexDump
Sep 14 2008, 09:07 PM
Well, as I said it is not possible to for me to try it, but I have owned a RG for 8 years and I like the construction and I feel very confortable with it. So, I think I will buy it next week. I hope it will play sweeps by itself smile.gif.

Thanks in advance,
HexDump.

+Quote Post
kjutte
Sep 15 2008, 01:11 PM
QUOTE (HexDump @ Sep 14 2008, 03:32 PM) *
Hi all,

I´m in the process of buying a new guitar. My Ibanez RG has been with me during 7 years but now I notice it is poor at some points like sustain, tremolo, and sound on the highest frets (among other little things).

I like Ibanez sound, and when I saw the Ibanez RGT320Z I felt in love with it. I´m not an experimenced guitarrist and I´m not too much aware of all brands, prices, features, etc... but this guitar sounds extraordinary to me. Could anybody give any feedback about it? other options, etc...?

By the way this is the guitar: RGT320Z

Thanks in advance,
HexDump.

I would get one with a middlepickup aswell, preferably a singlecoil.
I have a 2570Z, and it rocks for playing clean, because position 2 3 & 4 of the mic switch, makes the humbuckers work as singlecoils.

Anyway, I personally prefer versatility, but if you don't expect to be playing anything clean at all, go for it, it's a great guitar for sure.

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Sep 15 2008, 06:18 PM
Instructor
Nice looking guitar, really nice! I'm sure it's sound good too, but you have to try it before, If don't like the sound or the neck shape it won't be a nice deal. Good luck!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
HexDump
Sep 15 2008, 10:59 PM
Well, I have seen this guitar has 5 switch positions so, it will produce good clean sound too (just stating what I read in the specs).

Thanks ina dvance,
HexDump.

+Quote Post
Gus
Sep 15 2008, 11:45 PM
QUOTE (HexDump @ Sep 15 2008, 11:59 PM) *
Well, I have seen this guitar has 5 switch positions so, it will produce good clean sound too (just stating what I read in the specs).

Thanks ina dvance,
HexDump.

Hey man! I hope this will be the post you have been waiting for tongue.gif

Short version: just buy it!!!

Long version: I have the 2007 version of this guitar, the RGT320q. Man, this guitar is just insane. 11 out of 10 playability. Every friend that I let play this guitar asks: "WoW! How much did you pay in this guitar? It can't be so easy to play!". If you like the features (neck-thru sustain, jumbo frets, thin neck, floyd rose you can't go wrong with this guitar).
My previous main guitar was a epiphone LP custom, and when moving to this one I think I instantaneously increased 20-30% speed. I am not kidding.

I did not play Ibanez before testing this guitar on the shop, but I knew it was potentially real something.
I love Les Paul sound, but to be fair it lacks a little bit of flexibility (no single coil sound on it). Later I played another prestige on the store (60% of the price of this one). Yes, it was really nice, but nothing close to the RGT 320q.

I wanted a high-end stuff, and when you talk about high end you must be absolutely satisfied with everything, including look. I knew about JEMs and their amazing sound and flexibility, but to be fair I never liked the floral painting (yep, I know lots of people love it) and body top. I thought of the mirror paint JEM, but I could not put my hands into one... So I looked for what else Ibanez offered. J-custom would be even harder to get than the mirror paint JEM. I tried to look of what else Ibanez could offer. Then I came across Ibanez RG prestige, RGT 320q. There was not that much about it on the internet. A few reviews (all very positive) saying "So sexy that it hurts", "Ultimate metal sound", "Absolutely amazing" or "Better than JEMs. More on J-custom level". 2 crappy videos on youtube not really giving a good idea of it... (This one which came later shows a little better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uIbkjKlL_M )
Well, the store had it, so I went for a try. Man, I can't remember spending so many hours in a guitar shop. I could not believe that sustain... So many different amazing tones. It was so reasonable light for such a deep mahogany tone. By the way, was the guitar really that easy to play? Or I just improved 100% in 10 minutes? That was really expensive (still not nearly expensive as Custom Gibson Les Paul, my other target), way above my savings. But to be very honest I dreamed about it every day after I first played it on a shop until the day I bought it. By the way, when I arrived in the shop to buy it, it was fully accommodated to be shipped to another city, because someone wanted to give it a serious try. It was the last one on stock in Denmark. I never let it go =D . It was simply meant to be mine. When I came home I could not stop playing for 4 hours... blink.gif

Several months after, I am still amazed by this guitar. I even became to love the pickup position I consider the "less hot". About pickup positions:
- Neck double coil - All you can expect from neck humbucker. Powerfull clean lead.
- Neck "single coil" - this is absolutely so sweet clean sound. One can make it sound exactly like sultans of swing... At the same time it has also its own character with the proper amp set. My second favorite position.
- Middle, combined 2 double coils - Nice sound. Though, I miss a little bit the 2 separate tone controls from LP that allows some special tones. Still I like this much more than having a middle single coil pickup.
- Combined 2 single coils - This one is really different from whatever I tried before. This was the position I did not figure how should I use out on my first test, and considered it less hot. It has some kind of "too much" harmonic content. Well, with tone at 100% you can add chorus and strong reverberation and finger pick. This is an amazing sound! Roll down to 70-80% and you will get a sound more similar to stratocaster at bridge/middle. I use this a lot for funky rhythm.
- Double coil at bridge - Well, I cannot live without a guitar that has double coil at the bridge. This one really gives me the hard rock, metal and lead sounds I love!

About not having a middle pickup, I think it is also a matter of taste. Recently after owning this guitar for months I played again a JEM, and my overall impression was that JEM is a little bit hotter in intermediate positions probably because of the middle pickup. But that's all. In my opinion RGT 320q beats JEM in every other single aspect. However I have also to mention that on JEM the middle pickup seems to be exactly on the way of my picking when I was playing... That's the reason why Herman Li's signature has it absolutely inside the body... So contrary to previous opinions I now prefer Ibanez models without the middle pickup.

About the stock pickups, I am not planning to change them any soon. I fear that if I change for one of the most famous pickups, I will have worse sound in the end...

I hope I helped. I shall also turn this post into review later... wink.gif
I may post some sound samples later.

This post has been edited by Gus: Sep 16 2008, 12:43 AM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:04 PM