18 Pages V  « < 16 17 18  
Get A Personal Gmc Learning Plan, This will speed up progress and give you structure
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 29 2014, 06:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Chrism @ Jul 29 2014, 09:15 AM) *
Hello Cosmin. Good day.
-I had been playing almost 30yrs on and off and only strumming with a songbook.
-John Petrucci, Yngwie malmsteen, James Hetfieid.
-To improvise Metal and neoclassical style.
-How the chords are constructed, the concept of circle of 4ths or 5ths, diatonic group of chords, Major scale thru the whole guitar neck and
its relative minor and harmonic minor.
-I can improvise melodically and have a bit of musical ear weak points are the technical side.
-I have 3hrs a day practice time.
-I had just acquired 5 days ago a not so expensive Taiwan electric guitar, metal zone mt-2, mxr phasor and digital delay and still familiarizing with it.
-the last 5 yrs I collected some DVDs guitar books and it helped me just a little maybe I'm without guidance that's why. And thank you for that. I attached an audio of me improvising. The quality is poor but you can know what my level is now.
I will video record myself playing on the exercises next time.
Thank you.

Hey buddy, got your answers and since I already took the time to build it up, what do you say if we would continue working in here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry692953

I left you something there smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Aug 18 2014, 06:57 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'm back from holidays and starting to practice again. Part of my routine is still AP, especially those damn triplets!! wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 19 2014, 07:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Aug 18 2014, 05:57 PM) *
I'm back from holidays and starting to practice again. Part of my routine is still AP, especially those damn triplets!! wink.gif

Hey Jeroen! Welcome back man!

Let's make a little roundabout regarding what you are practicing, so that we may get them finished and see you to the next step, deal? Please make a little list of your current routine elements in respect to the GMC lessons you are working on and we'll take it from there wink.gif

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Aug 19 2014, 08:08 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 19 2014, 08:23 AM) *
Hey Jeroen! Welcome back man!

Let's make a little roundabout regarding what you are practicing, so that we may get them finished and see you to the next step, deal? Please make a little list of your current routine elements in respect to the GMC lessons you are working on and we'll take it from there wink.gif

Among other things I'm especially working on the AP lesson to get it perfect. Besides that I'm working on winter tune, the last half of the song. Winter is coming soon, so I have to get this one going smile.gif. I'm also working with Gabriel on tapping and mini sweeps and designing a good practice routine.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 20 2014, 07:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Aug 19 2014, 07:08 AM) *
Among other things I'm especially working on the AP lesson to get it perfect. Besides that I'm working on winter tune, the last half of the song. Winter is coming soon, so I have to get this one going smile.gif. I'm also working with Gabriel on tapping and mini sweeps and designing a good practice routine.

Alright man smile.gif How about isolating the parts which are troublesome and making some recordings for them at a slow tempo? I would like to see how you are faring with them and make some analysis together in order to see what needs to be fixed and get you through with them so that we can move on to other lessons as well - what do you think?

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Sep 9 2014, 12:44 PM
Ok Cosmin,

I have been practicing hard and long on this. Months now. This is the best I can come up with. I'm gonna post this as a rec take and move on to the next lesson I think.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 10 2014, 08:32 AM
Instructor
Hey Jeroen! Great to see you are working hard, mate wink.gif

I gave the piece a listen and I think that you still need to work on it, but the choice, of course, is yours. I also know that it can get a bit frustrating not finishing a piece in a longer period of time, but rather than put it in the REC take knowing it still has stuff that needs your attention, I'd wait and tackle something else to get this one out of the system for a while and then get back to it with a fresh perspective - what do you think?

As for the fixes:

- the guitar is slightly detuned
- the triplet section is not yet steady - you are rushing and the notes are un-even
- you are missing notes and rushing in the 16th note part, after minute 01:02

Please let me know what your thoughts are smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Sep 10 2014, 10:35 AM
Good idea to let this one rest for a while and move on to other lessons.

I was thinking about this one

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...icking-Basics/#

and this one

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...entatonic-solo/

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 10 2014, 09:32 AM) *
Hey Jeroen! Great to see you are working hard, mate wink.gif

I gave the piece a listen and I think that you still need to work on it, but the choice, of course, is yours. I also know that it can get a bit frustrating not finishing a piece in a longer period of time, but rather than put it in the REC take knowing it still has stuff that needs your attention, I'd wait and tackle something else to get this one out of the system for a while and then get back to it with a fresh perspective - what do you think?

As for the fixes:

- the guitar is slightly detuned
- the triplet section is not yet steady - you are rushing and the notes are un-even
- you are missing notes and rushing in the 16th note part, after minute 01:02

Please let me know what your thoughts are smile.gif

This post has been edited by Jeroen: Sep 10 2014, 11:12 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 11 2014, 07:59 AM
Instructor
Hey Jeroen! These are very good! I will emphasize on a few important aspects:

- on the alternate picking lesson, don't use too much gain on the tone - the crunchier you can have it, the more you will get out of the lesson smile.gif Hi gain will only trick you wink.gif If you want to develop great picking skills, work slow, understand all the phrases and pick relaxed, on a slightly dirty tone - just like Darek has it

- on the other one, you can have higher gain, but in here you need to focus on the groove - it has a bit of a shuffle/triplet feel to it - have you ever tried that sort of pulse before?

+Quote Post
Jazzman
Oct 28 2014, 11:42 PM
GMC:er
* How long have you been playing the guitar?
* What do you feel your current level is?
* What sort of theoretical knowledge do you have so far?
* How much time/day can you spend practicing?
* What are your favorite techniques?
* What would you like to improve?
* What is your current experience as a player (band, studio, home)?
* What gear do you own?
* Name a few favorite artists that inspire your playing

If you can provide audio/ video materials of your playing, it would be very helpful.
If not, we can work things out either way smile.gif

Hi Cosmin,
1. Been "trying to play" for many years, just keep getting to a point and frustrated, so give up
2. I've learnt a lot of stuff (self-taught), just not very good at applying it - Intermediate
3. I tend to know princiiples, with not a lot of memorized knowledge. So major scale, minor pentatonic scale,. Understand principles behind harmonized major scale. Know basic major and minor chord arpeggio shapes. I don't sight read.
4. Probably an hour on 3 - 4 days a week.
5. Really tend to play alone at home, and most of it is just practice, with not a lot of repertoire. I've been trying to learn jazz and so have gotten stuck numerous times and ended up giving up.
6. I have a Samick archtop, and a very good amplifier
7. Favourite guitarists - Kenny Burrell, Wes Montgomery, George Benson

No audio/video as yet, but could work on putting something together.

Have a great day!!

Jazzman

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 29 2014, 03:23 PM
Instructor
Hey mate!

Thank you for your answers smile.gif So concluding on the fact that you basically have around 3-4 hours of practice/week, it will be a challenge to tackle a lesson in one week, so I would go for trying to tackle a lesson in 8 hours - that would mean two weeks practice. The idea here is to follow the next steps, in order to make sure that you get the most out of a lesson:

- understand the theoretical concepts - know what and why you are playing is a healthy way of learning
- learn the lesson structure - things will flow naturally once you know what's next when playing any piece
- learn each part and reproduce it slowly with the metronome - you will learn the lesson and become accustomed with the timing and feel
- put all the parts together and practice them against the slowest available backing track - respecting timing and phrasing will provide essential advantages when you will face the details of any piece!
- work your way up tempo with the available backing tracks

After being able to learn a lesson and make sure that all the steps above have been taken care of, we can get creative and for instance, you will have to build a chord progression based on the elements you have learned in a lesson or come up with an improvisation using the principles learned in a lead lesson, over that lesson's backing track wink.gif

Now, I would see things like this:

- playing one hour a day would be ideal for your development, but that's not an option maybe - you can tell me that, of course
- dedicating 2-3 hours of the 8 hours, to recording would be recommended as recording is pretty much your mirror, that shows your progress and it will help you enormously.

Please let me know what you thoughts are and as a first lesson, what do you think about this one?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/jazz_comping_jazz_blues/ - it features nice chordal play and shapes all in a jazz/bluesy context.

All the best and let's rock!

Cosmin

PS: please let me know if you want me to build you a separate thread or if you prefer working in here, or via PM wink.gif

+Quote Post
Aris
Nov 12 2014, 05:49 PM
GMC:er
Hi Cosmin,

Below I am also sending you my profile details so that you can make an impression of my level of experience, practice capacity, likes etc.

* How long have you been playing the guitar?
I have been strumming open chords or power chords for over 10 years now but I have only played methodically basically over a metronome or with the band for about 2 years.

* What do you feel your current level is?
Poor

* What sort of theoretical knowledge do you have so far?
I have learnt the major/minor scale positions but I 'm not fluent. I have had a look in modes but unable to apply them.

* How much time/day can you spend practicing?
I am struggling to make time of no less than one hour per day. This can happen just before I go to bed.

* What are your favorite techniques?
sliding, bending, hammer on/pull off, vibrato, alternate picking (everything that shows some heart in the playing)

* What would you like to improve?
Improvization skills, composing, riffs and technique.
You can have a more detailed idea by the information that Gabriel has posted in the first message of my personal threat: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=53348

* What is your current experience as a player (band, studio, home)?
This is also explained in the first message of the below threat
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=53348

* What gear do you own?
I own the crunch box distortion pedal, the visual sound jekyl & hyde overdrive/distortion pedal by visual sound and the digitech JamMan Solo XT looper

* Name a few favorite artists that inspire your playing
Apart from some dirty noisy hardcore/punk bands, I also like more melodic stuff which are musically interesting to me. To name a few:
the stooges,
The clash(& their solos),
Social distortion,
Radio Birdman,
The wipers,
Pearl Jam,
doors,
Last Drive (Greek band) - these guys seem to have so many good ideas and melodies. (Check it out you might like it as well smile.gif https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5jP0nOF16A)
Deus ex machina (Greek band) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kwwxeLrwRA

Below you will also find some stuff I recorded before GMC lessons and some recordings relevant to my routine at GMC over the past month.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy7PXvLqoNE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jonxNICioKo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGy1WVN_yeo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjWSM2ycx8Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PD4CeRU-1o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gsYsUaOpQ0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOXArxtrLr0

Please let me know what you recommend in addition to my practice with Gabriel.
unfortunately, my time is very limited to 1 hour per day on average so any advise on how this could all work simultaneously with Gabriel would be very helpful.

Thanks a lot!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 13 2014, 12:27 PM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif I have listened to your recordings and I think that what you should be aiming for would first be to improve your technique in terms of:

- hand synch - I noticed that you are having issues when playing lead lines
- movement efficiency - both your right hand and left hand move a bit too much and that will always slow you down
- alternate picking, legato, bending and vibrato - these are the basics techniques you should be focusing on and in your examples, because of the hand synch and movement efficiency issues, these techniques are not functioning too well. I also noticed that your vbrato is pretty small and not strong enough - it should definitely be wider and more expressive.
- expanding your vocabulary of phrases - you tend to be very static when improvising and you need more dynamics in your playing - this aspect can be solved with learnng theory and applying it, as well as learning GMC phrasing based lessons out of which you can borrow licks and phrases which with little twists and tweaks, can become your own.
- developing your rhythmic sense - I noticed that you tend to rush when playing rhythm and various phrases - being groovy and playing in great timing is a must for any musician

These are the things that you should focus on, in order to become able to freely express yourself, so one hour/dayespecially before going to sleep, when your mind and body are pretty down, is not doing too much justice. If possible, I totally recommend that you place this hour in the morning, by going to sleep earlier and waking up earlier - you will most likely see differences!

I just wanted to point these aspects out, so that your practice sessions will be more and more productive! Keep up the good work and follow Gabi's suggestions in your program!

Cosmin

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 16 17 18
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:28 PM