Active Pickups
ElHombre
Oct 24 2013, 01:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hello

I have always been a "passive pickup" guy
But now with my new 7 string, I have tried it and it feels really good with active pickups, power biggrin.gif

Now I got told there are a few to avoid.
Well as mentioned i played mostly passive pickups before. But now it will mostly be metal on this certain guitar my 7 string.

And another fact

The guitar has passive pickup, so it needs some kind of system installed as well, price?
And i only want to change the bridge pickups, possible?

And what pickup should i buy

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 24 2013, 02:32 PM
Instructor
If You wantto have passive and active in one guitar, there are a few issues:

1. Most of active don't need grounding on the bridge (You know the "touch and the hum disappers issue") while passive do. If You have no grounding Your safe from electric shock if something goes wrong on stage.
2. Active has much smaller coil so they mostly use (at least emg has) much smaller pot values like 10-50 kOhm instead of 250 - 500 kOhm. Bigger value will affect the volume correction response on the active pickup.
3. Huge (not all cases!) difference in signal level can make You confused while trying to adjust Your amp gain

Had it myslef so writting from own expirience, not from the "read in internet" wise advices wink.gif

As for "avoid some" I always have only one comment for this. I work in the music shop. 80% people coming to the shop, buy things they didn't want to buy, because of "I read in the internet..." or "Someone told me"factors. Everything changes once they finally play it personally.

I had a bunch of different active pickups. Every single of those was good at something, or for something else.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Oct 24 2013, 11:29 PM
Learning Rock Star
Yes but would it be Ok to have just one active pickup?
And do i need some kind of system installed?

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Oct 24 2013, 11:39 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Oct 24 2013, 11:29 PM) *
Yes but would it be Ok to have just one active pickup?
And do i need some kind of system installed?

you won't be able to mix pickups, you can have them on the same guitar( they can't interact), but they will need separate controls

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Oct 24 2013, 11:40 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 25 2013, 02:22 AM
GMC:er
You can of course just add an ACTIVE PREAMP switch in to your guitar and leave your pickups alone. This will give them an "active" quality while retaining the character of the pickups. You get the bonus of being able to switch it on and off and it's MUCH cheaper. smile.gif About $50 U.S. for the unit plus installation. Your luthier/guitar shop can give you all the details.

Here is a link and pictur smile.gif

EMG PA2

http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/135

Attached Image

QUOTE (ElHombre @ Oct 24 2013, 08:59 AM) *
Hello

I have always been a "passive pickup" guy
But now with my new 7 string, I have tried it and it feels really good with active pickups, power biggrin.gif

Now I got told there are a few to avoid.
Well as mentioned i played mostly passive pickups before. But now it will mostly be metal on this certain guitar my 7 string.

And another fact

The guitar has passive pickup, so it needs some kind of system installed as well, price?
And i only want to change the bridge pickups, possible?

And what pickup should i buy

Cheers

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:25 PM