Gibson Vs Ibanez
Kyle Logue
Mar 7 2008, 07:15 AM
Drum instructor
I need to upgrade my guitar...I currently have an epiphone les paul and it's just time to retire it.

I've seen that there's a huge argument between which of these guitars are better. I've played both and could get used to either, but what is your opinion on what I should get?

I play stuff mostly like nickelback, breaking benjamin, three days grace, and the likes.

I'm thinking a Gibson would fit me best, but everyone seems to think that ibanez's are faster.

Give me reasons why you choose what you choose!

I have a feeling that I'll get a bias-ed response cause most of the people on this site play Ibanez guitars.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 7 2008, 07:23 AM
Singing Instructor
Gibson.........well couse is Gibson...I personali think that les paul is the best guitar in the world..... ..reasons...well the rough sound of him...smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
fkalich
Mar 7 2008, 07:45 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Kyle Logue @ Mar 7 2008, 12:15 AM) *
I need to upgrade my guitar...I currently have an epiphone les paul and it's just time to retire it.

I've seen that there's a huge argument between which of these guitars are better. I've played both and could get used to either, but what is your opinion on what I should get?

I play stuff mostly like nickelback, breaking benjamin, three days grace, and the likes.

I'm thinking a Gibson would fit me best, but everyone seems to think that ibanez's are faster.

I have a feeling that I'll get a bias-ed response cause most of the people on this site play Ibanez guitars.

Real men play Les Pauls. Ibanez is a girlie man guitar,

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 7 2008, 08:03 AM
Instructor
I got one of both.. and i think they are both just as easy and fast to play on. Gibsons are way heavier weightwise though.

The main difference is the sound or if you want a tremolo or not

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
ch00ch00man
Mar 7 2008, 08:04 AM
QUOTE (Kyle Logue @ Mar 7 2008, 02:15 AM) *

why one or the other? there are dozens of quality guitar manufacturers out there. dean makes a few nice model. so does schecter. why not go down to your local music store and try them all out. your bound to find something just for you. everyone has their opinions, but none of them will be yours. buying a guitar is a very personal thing. too many variables to consider that only you can answer. do you like thin necks or thick? do you like 24 frets or 22, or 21, 20, 19? do you like a tremolo and a locking nut? pickups? so on and so on. btw, saying i can get used to either, is something that i just don't buy. if you have played for any length of time, you get used to certain things being a certain way. other things feel, weird, uncomfortable, alien.

boris

+Quote Post
bsamn
Mar 7 2008, 08:11 AM
Hey Kyle,

Ibanez's have thinner necks, resulting in better grip = easier playing with lesser effort put in.
Gibson thicker necks, but you will surely get the hang of it in sometime, (depending how long you play it).

But otherwise its all upto you, see which guitar fits best in your hand, try every company.
Though the sound of a les paul is you know..... smile.gif but there are very many guitars with amazing sound available now (which im sure you know off)

So yea give everything a try and keep rockin' bro smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Mar 7 2008, 09:30 AM
Comparing a Les Paul to f. ex. an RG, would be like comparing a 50's Cadillac to a Nissan Skyline GT-R.
Offcourse, Ibanez doesn't only make shred guitars.

This post has been edited by botoxfox: Mar 7 2008, 09:32 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 7 2008, 09:32 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I'd choose a Gibson.

You said ppl say an Ibanez is faster.... even if it is, so what? huh.gif

The reasons I'd go for a Gibson myself are a couple.
- The neck is tilted and therefore more comfie to play imo
- it's got 22 frets which is better tonewise since the neck pu would be on the octave (harmonic position)

I never make use of all the frets anyway. 22 is perfect, 21 is not, 24 is unneccessary imho. If I need to hit the octave note on the high E string for some reason I can bend it up to E which sounds nicer too for that matter.

But if I got to choose anything else but a Gibson LP I would go for a high end PRS, 22 frets for tone - of course.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 7 2008, 10:51 AM
Instructor
Gibson man. No Ibanez can match the tone of a Gibson imo. For your kind of music, I don't really see Ibanez in your hands.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 7 2008, 11:11 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Mar 7 2008, 10:51 AM) *
Gibson man. No Ibanez can match the tone of a Gibson imo. For your kind of music, I don't really see Ibanez in your hands.

+1
Nickleback and Breaking Benjamn, you can pull that off with an Ibanez, it's just not right, you'd look like if you had no clue at all wink.gif laugh.gif but it's true.

+Quote Post
Tomotoms
Mar 7 2008, 11:40 AM
I much prefer Ibanez, but seeing as you are already playing an Epiphone Les Paul, you will probably find the change to Gibson easier.

I love the thin shape of Ibanez, as to which sound you prefer that's totally subjective.

Worth listening to:

Ibanez:

Steve Vai
Paul Gilbert
Joe Satriani
Pavel

Gibson:

Jimmy Page
Slash
Angus Young
Gabriel

I think Nickelback sometimes use Gibsons but mainly PRS guitars.

The best way to decide is to try both and go with your heart (cheesy advice).

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Mar 7 2008, 01:47 PM
QUOTE (ch00ch00man @ Mar 7 2008, 08:04 AM) *
why one or the other? there are dozens of quality guitar manufacturers out there. dean makes a few nice model. so does schecter. why not go down to your local music store and try them all out. your bound to find something just for you. everyone has their opinions, but none of them will be yours. buying a guitar is a very personal thing. too many variables to consider that only you can answer. do you like thin necks or thick? do you like 24 frets or 22, or 21, 20, 19? do you like a tremolo and a locking nut? pickups? so on and so on. btw, saying i can get used to either, is something that i just don't buy. if you have played for any length of time, you get used to certain things being a certain way. other things feel, weird, uncomfortable, alien.

boris

+1. Well put.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Mar 7 2008, 02:01 PM
QUOTE (ch00ch00man @ Mar 7 2008, 08:04 AM) *

boris

He's right, all we can do is reccomend guitars to you, but I do suggest you try as many as you can before you make your desicion, both are good brands, and I'm sure if you try both you'll like one better than the other. But don't just choose between those two, Fender, Jackson, Dean, PRS, and Esp are just a few other brands that make good guitars.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 7 2008, 02:12 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I like gibson more wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 7 2008, 02:15 PM
Parker are the best guitars around. I'd get a Gibson SG if I had to choose between Gibson and Ibanez guitars.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Mar 7 2008, 02:18 PM
Learning Roadie
i have an epiphone les paul and an ibanez rg.
ive replaced the pickups in both and i love them both.
i'd go with gibson, ive NEVER heard anyone say they have a bad gibson lespaul. i have however heard of bad ibanez's... however thats probably due to them not being setup right.

either is a good investment, have a play of them both and see which suits you best.
for the type of songs, gibson would probably be best.

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
Khaos Keith
Mar 7 2008, 02:40 PM
i have one of each haha. but ill tell ya, nothing beats a my les paul custom gibson on marshal amp. you just cant duplicate that amazing sound with an ibanez in my opinion, and ive tried haha. i just use my ibanez if i need 24 frets haha. ive messed around with strats too, but ooo do i love that gibson sound haha. that and you're used to an epiphone, so switching to a gibson will feel pretty natural i would assume.

--------------------
Random Person : "got a myspace page?"

Me : "hahaha who doesn't? the url is

http://www.myspace.com/maidenmayhem

hahah"

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Mar 7 2008, 03:04 PM
I'd say get a Les Paul. You have had experience with something similar in your Epi LP so you may already feel at home using it. But the thing is there are many variables your looking at in choosing between the two.

+Quote Post
Goliath
Mar 7 2008, 03:06 PM
Given the style of music you play, I'd say a Gibson. None of those bands really get to the point where having a thin neck or 24 frets will make a difference.

I certainly don't think 24 frets is a waste as some others have stated, 24 frets mean that the typical "lead" range of frets are in a more accessible area and you don't need to come across your body as much.

A Gibson Les Paul will hold it's value better than most Ibanez guitars and DEFINITELY all "off" brand guitars, like Schecter, Dean, ESP, etc. The LP will hold better than even an SG, but the SG I'd say is still a bit ahead of the curve on other brands. A Highend IBZ will also benefit from this same phenomenon (JEM, JS, PGM, etc etc).

The one downside to Gibsons in my opinion (and a lot of Ibanez guitars) are that the stock pickups are lower output, so if you like obnoxiously high output like myself, you'd need to consider a swap. For many, the Gibson pickups are sufficient, so that might not be an issue.

For the style you're advocating, something like a Les Paul would be a definite. If you're considering an Epi, i'd just as soon point you at an ESP LTD eclipse series guitar, they're better made (IMO) and have better components than an Epi.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Mar 7 2008, 03:20 PM
+1 with 24 frets being a good thing

If you were more into speed type stuff, I would defintitley tell you to go with Ibanez, but the stuff you play would be more suited to a Les Paul.

Oh, and Ibanez ARE NOT girly man guitars http://ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=XPT700

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:17 PM