Drum Software
kpgalligan
Aug 29 2008, 12:52 AM
GMC:er
I'm looking for drum software. Something fairly simple. I'd like to just drag types of tracks onto a sheet and jam along to them. Basic stuff to work out ideas on and bring to the real drummer. Not looking for anything of recording quality. Any suggesstions? I keep seeing EZ Drummer and Addictive Drums as suggestions. EZ Drummer works standalone, I think, so that would probably be first choice. Seems a little over the top for what I need, though.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 29 2008, 01:15 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
There's beatcraft too, I use it sometimes, although in a very simplistic manner. The program seems to be quite powerful though if you spend some time with it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Aug 29 2008, 01:40 AM
Instructor
I know that Band in a Box has some drum tracks to play along. It could be an option to use Fruity Loops, but I think the best way is to check some drum fills from a magazine like Drum Magazine or something else and make your own drum tracks. In that way you can learn a lot too. And you could use for that a good drum sound like the new BDF.
I hope it was useful.

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 29 2008, 01:46 AM
Instructor
EZ Drummer is quite good for what you need. That's actually pretty basic VST drum, not over the top at all. You have grooves, and a simple mixer and that's pretty much it.

Addictive has more options, and it is not that straightforward (at least for me mate). Also I find drum sounding a bit fuller with EZD.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kpgalligan
Aug 29 2008, 02:12 AM
Usually the way I do things is turn to my drummer and say (occasionally with a little drunken slur)

"Dude. Boom boom, tst, boom. Like that Sabbath song, but more 'us'. And a little faster. Then a little fill into the cool part"

I want that, but drag and drop.

EZ looks pretty good. You can watch the demo, but I don't think you can try it out, which always freaks me out a little. We have band practice tomorrow, so if I remember when I get home (after drinks), I'll probably be pumped up enough to pull the trigger (ie. buy the drums. Not the other trigger).

Downloaded beatcraft. Will play with that for a bit.

Thanks again

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Aug 29 2008, 03:30 AM
fruityloops....
stand alone...
does drums and so much more
free trial available
I will help you to figure it out if you need help
simple
49.00 usd for a basic copy

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Aug 29 2008, 03:41 AM
Ez drums is terrible imho, get Addictive drums.

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
matto
Aug 29 2008, 09:07 AM
I would check out the new superior 2.0, looks awesome!

+Quote Post
Kuba Szafran
Aug 29 2008, 09:15 AM
Instructor
I've been using Acoustica Beatcraft for exercising for a long time, and it did its job pretty well. In ezdrummer I don't like waiting by startup. But it has lots of really nice grooves which would be hard to make with Beatcraft.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 29 2008, 09:26 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I don't want to make too much efforts learning a drum software, I simply want to use it without reading a manual. That's why I'd got one of these in the first place.

My friend got a Addictive drums in his pro studio, he says he prefers the drum sounds before EZdrummer. It was not simple as that to use and I want a program I can just sit down to work with without further explanation, a no brainer.

So I got EZdrummer instead. Great drum sounds and I could use it rightway without reading any manuals. It's intiutive and easy to use. Being a guitarist and not the least interested in drums and I'm highly unwilling to learn - so EZD was and is the perfect package for me.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Aug 29 2008, 09:34 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
EZ Drummer is brilliant, I prefer it over addictive drums although I think the "tweaking" of the drums you are able to do in AD is a good feature, other than that I find it takes me half the time to add drums with EZ.

I believe also that the Superior 2.0 is supposed to be pretty outstanding, just ask Mr Cockburn for his verdict on that smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 29 2008, 09:47 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Smells @ Aug 29 2008, 10:34 AM) *
EZ Drummer is brilliant, I prefer it over addictive drums although I think the "tweaking" of the drums you are able to do in AD is a good feature, other than that I find it takes me half the time to add drums with EZ.

I believe also that the Superior 2.0 is supposed to be pretty outstanding, just ask Mr Cockburn for his verdict on that smile.gif

I checked the demo video over att Toontrack.com, seems pretty cool especially if you're the tweaking sort smile.gif

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 29 2008, 12:09 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I am using Sample Tank for my drums, but since this is a full sampler software that can play ANY sample, not just drums, this might be a bit over the top for your needs. If you are thinking about using more sounds than only drums you might want to check it out though, I love it.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 29 2008, 01:34 PM
Instructor
I use Superior Drummer 2 , I recently bought it, and it is the last word in drummer VST technology. It has a big sample database (18GB), and advance randomize algorithms, so that it plays many different samples, instead of few just like a real drummer. They sampled quite a lot of hits, 25+25+25 for each component if I'm not mistaken, and every sample range is dispersed over velocity range, and randomized.
Superior is nevertheless a bit harder to use straight from the box, and it doesn't come with a MIDI groove library. It is compatible with all other Toontrack products, and it can use EZD banks no problem, as well as any GM mapping.

Why I suggested EZD is because of it's "no-brainer" as MickeM nicely put it. Simple plug, no hidden features and levels, one level down and that's all - to a small mixer and to groove library straight from a front interface.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Aug 29 2008, 01:35 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Aug 29 2008, 01:47 PM
Singing Instructor
I work with Addictive,and I am pretty happy with him.But,I will make transition to BFD for shore in the next month.
Siggum haw it,and he uploaded some samples while a go,and that VST sounds the best to me.smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:54 PM