2 Pages V   1 2 >  
A Plea To Instructors
jstcrsn
Sep 3 2011, 01:16 PM
Learning Tone Master
first off, I thank you for your time and talents that you give us all at GMC
I have grown much and hope to continue(not as a person but as a guitarist)
I love the lessons and all the site has but there is always been something in the back of my head and I think I figured it out

all you instructor are so far advanced compared to us and here is what you are asking us to do
to listen to a song to advanced and to fast for us , for us to get the feel, and before we can play fast enough we somehow have to get the feel for the song at half its speed , so we can play with the backing track, so we can get the feel , so we can then play faster
I don't know if this is clear , the way i stated this , but
I think it is in the wrong order
easy solution however
I propose that with every new song, the instructor also have a video of him playing with the slowest backing track
then students can get the feel for the song much quicker,cause you know , once you get the feel ,it is all downhill from there
thus wasting less time of the students trying to do something that he just can't do, and making their practice less monotonous with quicker results
I do however think that this video should be viewable only to members p.s. it would be a great tease to give to nonmembers once and a while to drag them down hill with us(evil doctor sound inserted here)

so what do you think ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Sep 3 2011, 01:44 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 3 2011, 01:59 PM
Instructor
Well, this is very interesting suggestion. I'm understand the problem. Have you tried with guitar pro files perhaps - they should provide if not the same, then very similar feel to what a slower tempo guitar work should sound.

I would be very interested in hearing other people's opinions on the matter too.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Sep 3 2011, 02:09 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 3 2011, 01:59 PM) *
Well, this is very interesting suggestion. I'm understand the problem. Have you tried with guitar pro files perhaps - they should provide if not the same, then very similar feel to what a slower tempo guitar work should sound.

I would be very interested in hearing other people's opinions on the matter too.

not to look to stupid,do you have to buy guitar pro

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 3 2011, 03:33 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Sep 3 2011, 03:09 PM) *
not to look to stupid,do you have to buy guitar pro

There is a free trial here : http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php
You can also use this alternative version of the software which offers similar funcionality (for free!) : http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/download.html

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Sep 3 2011, 03:54 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Sep 3 2011, 03:33 PM) *
There is a free trial here : http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php
You can also use this alternative version of the software which offers similar funcionality (for free!) : http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/download.html

i can notget it to open the guitar pro tabs in the lessons and not to be a pain , am i now going to have to spend hours learning software and not practicing

and to add, this is why todds students seem to progress so well , because he lets them hear songs at a slow speed along with being able to follow him at a slow speeds ,

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Sep 3 2011, 04:14 PM

+Quote Post
Michael AC
Sep 3 2011, 04:46 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Almost all of the lessons I have done here the instructor plays the sections slowly so we can see and hear the feel of the lesson. Also, every instructor constantly tells us how to play with a metronome. If you are not doing that part then I can understand how it may be harder.

Maybe the lessons you are trying to do are at a higher level than where you are and you should go back to one level lower. NOT that you should not push yourself, but you may be stepping out to far if that makes sense?

Maybe look at some of the timing lessons that are here too.

Personally I do not think there is a problem with the lessons as they are done now, other than making sure there is uniformity in how the lessons are done (presentation, backing tracks, pro files, etc) which in most part they are.

Just my thoughts.

+Quote Post
thefireball
Sep 3 2011, 05:15 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Michael AC @ Sep 3 2011, 10:46 AM) *
Almost all of the lessons I have done here the instructor plays the sections slowly so we can see and hear the feel of the lesson. Also, every instructor constantly tells us how to play with a metronome. If you are not doing that part then I can understand how it may be harder.

Maybe the lessons you are trying to do are at a higher level than where you are and you should go back to one level lower. NOT that you should not push yourself, but you may be stepping out to far if that makes sense?

Personally I do not think there is a problem with the lessons as they are done now, other than making sure there is uniformity in how the lessons are done (presentation, backing tracks, pro files, etc) which in most part they are.

Just my thoughts.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. I have felt that it was helpful the way it was; however, I also like the way Cosmin does it - he does play with the backing track slowly.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 3 2011, 08:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Sep 3 2011, 04:54 PM) *
i can notget it to open the guitar pro tabs in the lessons and not to be a pain , am i now going to have to spend hours learning software and not practicing

and to add, this is why todds students seem to progress so well , because he lets them hear songs at a slow speed along with being able to follow him at a slow speeds ,

You're not a pain man, just trying to let you know that tuxguitar will really help. If you have doubts with some of the parts, download tuxguitar, install it, open guitar pro file, and you can hear the tab playing in any tempo you imagine.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dark dude
Sep 3 2011, 11:14 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Sep 3 2011, 03:54 PM) *

All you need to know in Guitar Pro:

Open the GP file.

Select the instrument track you want by clicking

Hit the play button and jam along

or

Drag-select the part you want to analyse, and click the button to the right of the "Go to the last bar" button.

Select how much slower you want it to be played at.

Hit the Play button

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
JD_
Sep 4 2011, 02:30 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Michael AC @ Sep 3 2011, 03:46 PM) *

Just my thoughts.

I have to agree with you mate. The lessons you tackle have to be witihin your reach. However, there are slower video versions of each section and slower backing tracks. I believe it's up to us, a student studying the guitar to put together a song piece by piece, build it up to speed and then play along with it. That's my opinion though

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Michael AC
Sep 4 2011, 05:35 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 3 2011, 03:01 PM) *
You're not a pain man, just trying to let you know that tuxguitar will really help. If you have doubts with some of the parts, download tuxguitar, install it, open guitar pro file, and you can hear the tab playing in any tempo you imagine.

Thanks for the tip on TuxGuitar Ivan...just downloaded it...works great!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 4 2011, 05:45 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Sep 3 2011, 10:54 AM) *
i

Well, one reason my Saturday Video Chat students make such good progress is they PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE smile.gif And they come to a Two Hour Intensive Marathon Melt Your Fingers Clinic Each Weekend with yours truly @ 10PM GMT. smile.gif I have seen you there sometimes, and I want to invite you back! we had a great one today. Time does not always permit everyone to make it to the chats, I understand that believe me, but the lesson notes are always there with notes/tabs/clips and you can shoot me questions any time smile.gif I"m here to help!

I do try to build the lessons using simple shapes and pattern which then get a bit more complex and then are played against a backing so that they have some context. I do find that creating the simplest shape/pattern possible and working it with a metronome helps everyone to build some quick muscle memory so when we move to the hard bits their hands are in fighting shape. Then when we put it to music it all makes sense wink.gif

All of the lessons are in the WIKI as a bonus! Thank GOD for Fran! He RAWKS!

http://bit.ly/twtgmc

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 4 2011, 05:52 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 4 2011, 07:37 AM
Instructor
Ivan's idea is what I do nowadays when I'm learning a difficult song. There wasn't GMC or Guitar Pro when I was a students but nowadays I still learn songs over my level and I use to set the guitar pro file in a lower tempo to practice over it. It's an awesome tool. Tuxguitar is free and is made in Argentina! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Sep 5 2011, 02:45 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
Wow...I think that's a great idea! I would love to see and hear the instructors play at a slow, medium and regular speed!

This post has been edited by Praetorian: Sep 5 2011, 02:46 AM

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 5 2011, 08:28 AM
Instructor
This would be interesting for faster paced lessons, no doubt.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JD_
Sep 5 2011, 08:32 AM
Learning Roadie
I agree it would be great for difficult lessons and high tempo lessons, however, I believe you learn alot by putting it together yourself....You can't expect and instructor to do everyting for you. You grow alot as a musician and a guitar player by working on the timing and tempo at different speeds

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
DenisN
Sep 5 2011, 08:51 AM
Learning Roadie
I have one more suggestion regarding the lessons. Every time you select a video the instructor starts by explaining each single note of the lick. I woluld like to see first how the lick sounds slowly (like the instructiors repats it at the end) and then each single note.

I think taht wolud really help a lot as you see what he is aiming for.

BR,
Denis

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 5 2011, 10:30 AM
GMC Founder
Very good feedback here - please keep them coming and we will try to revise (and possibly better standardise) lesson guidelines!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 5 2011, 10:37 AM
Instructor
Is it possible to choose videos when on fullscreen? That's not so important option, but it would be cool smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 5 2011, 10:45 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 5 2011, 11:37 AM) *
Is it possible to choose videos when on fullscreen? That's not so important option, but it would be cool smile.gif

No the flash full screen mode is a little limiting. It's possible but requires a major rebuild

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:13 PM