Carvin Preamp?
Todd Simpson
Nov 9 2014, 05:40 PM
GMC:er
In my perptual quest to try every single preamp on earth, I've run across this CARVIN unit that many
high gain fans seem to dig for it's solid state crunch. I"m thinking of adding one to my riggage. Anyone ever hear/try these?

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 9 2014, 05:41 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
klasaine
Nov 9 2014, 05:56 PM
I've used the 2x12" combo amps with those same preamp section several times. They were popular backline for awhile.
Very aggressive. Not necessarily 'smooth' or sexy or super ballsy but the crunch and medium gain tones definitely will cut through just about any mix.
Cleans are pretty good.
Super saturated lead tones get lost in a mix.
Loud as hell (100 watt amp version).
Didn't really like 'my' pedals.
Built in FX are (typically) terrible IMO.
Built like tank.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 9 2014, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the info! I've got my bid in smile.gif I"m every curious about how preamps sound and if I can get adequate gain from them. As a result I run through preamps like most folks run through socks. I usually don't keep them though unless they impress me. Here's to hope!

The ONLLY preamp I've kept out of the dozens I've bought in recent years is the 11 Rack. It was 10 years before that (gnx3) that I kept one.

I'm currently curious about the ENGL rack mount pre, this one, and the rocktron black wido pre.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 9 2014, 12:56 PM) *
I've used the 2x12" combo amps with those same preamp section several times. They were popular backline for awhile.
Very aggressive. Not necessarily 'smooth' or sexy or super ballsy but the crunch and medium gain tones definitely will cut through just about any mix.
Cleans are pretty good.
Super saturated lead tones get lost in a mix.
Loud as hell (100 watt amp version).
Didn't really like 'my' pedals.
Built in FX are (typically) terrible IMO.
Built like tank.

+Quote Post
waynedcoville
Nov 9 2014, 11:35 PM
I'm a big fan of Carvin instruments. I've been playing them for about 20 years now. Once upon a time I had a Cyclops Carvin bass amp
(http://www.bazaar-world.com/guitar-amp-12289-Carvin-RL6815-Cyclops-Bass-Amp). It had a great tone, beefy power (for a combo) and lots of control over your sound. The problem I had was that I burned it out twice. Not saying that's indicative of all Carvin amps, but it happened to me twice. It was still under warranty fortunately so both times I sent it back to San Diego, they sent me a new one. The second time I got it back, with sadness in my heart, I promptly traded it in for a used Hartke stack. That was over 15 years ago and I still have the Hartke. I do however, highly recommend their instruments.

--------------------
Carvin 6 string bass (walnut neck and body w/burl maple top)
Carvin 5 string AE fretless bass(mahogany neck and body w/ quilt maple top)
Dean 8 string bass
Danelectro BassVI
Washburn 5 string acoustic bass
Hartke HA3500 w/ 4-10x1-15
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Zoom B9.1ut / Crybaby
Monster cables

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:35 AM