Pickups Decision! Cant Decied What To Haveee!, please helps me out with ur gd opinions thanks
Kevin98497
Jan 27 2008, 01:19 AM
GMC:er
heyhey
I just got a new epiphone sg custom and its great and all, but the thing is, its got 3 humbuckers, but they all stupidly sound the same so i wanna replace the bridge and neck pickup but i got quite a few choices, and i cant decide!!!! so please help here

NECK:
PAF JOE
BREED NECK
EVO NECK

BRIDGE:
D ACTIVATOR
SUPER DISTORTION
EVO BRIDGE
EVO 2

i am currently thinkin paf joe and d activator, what do you guys think? any other good conbinations?
thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 27 2008, 01:25 AM
Learning Roadie
PAF Joe seems like the perfect neck pickup, but thats just me. I haven't tried it tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 27 2008, 01:41 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
If the Epi SG's are made from Mahogany like Gibson SG's I'd say go for PAR and Super Distortion.
Breed pu's together with the mahogany will be way too dark, muddy, so forget about those. I don't think they'd do well. Evo's are a bit brighter so they could work.

But if you go for one Evo you should get both! Don't mix with the Super distortion or PAF when you know Evo brigde + Evo Neck work great together.
So would Super distortion + PAF so either of the two combinations.

I have a Super Distortion in a mahogany body and that sounds just great! I'm very happy with it. Ace Frehley played with a SuperDist too wink.gif

EDIT: And correct me if I'm wrong but the D-Activator are active pu's so they would only make things difficult for you to switch into those.
And if I wasn't clear enough, I'd choose SD + PAF - it's rock, hard rock. Classic! Epic! wink.gif

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jan 27 2008, 01:46 AM

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Jan 27 2008, 12:23 PM
hmm sounds like im gonna go for the paf joe + sup dist combo
the D Activator isnt actually active, its just a passive replacement for an active pickup (emg for example).. would that go well with the PAF Joe?
Thanks

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 27 2008, 07:45 PM
Instructor
I see it's all about DiMarzio's but check THESE out as well,
good price,extra sound,custom option available too.
I play the same brand pickups. smile.gif

If not, I believe Evo and Paf or Evo and Evo,as MickeM said.
Even Tone Zone,who knows...

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Jan 27 2008, 10:11 PM
Instructor
demarzio working good with SG

+Quote Post
PanicProne
Jan 30 2008, 02:48 PM
Weel, I'm not even close to an expert on the subject but I've just been through the whole "what pickups should I put in my guitar"-dilemma. I finished up with two Seymour Duncans. A Jazz pickup in the neck! (absolutely love it!!!) anc a custom custom in the bridge (not as nice as the jazz but they sound nice together). But then again it comes 'round to what style of music you're gonna be playing. I mostly play a type of progressive rock-ish music and I'm overjoyed with my pickup choice.

With pickups It's usually the hard way since they sound really different in different guitars. But I good way to find out is to try and find and test play guitar with the pickups you're looking at. Also the manufacturers webpages can be of some help, if only a bit.

Good luck!

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Jan 30 2008, 09:18 PM
I personally like Dimarzios in the bridge and Seymour Duncans in the neck postitions. Just watch out for the Dimarzio SD and Tone Zone, they sound great but can't really handle detuned chugga chugga metal; they have lots of bass and mids so they can get inarticulate and muddy if you're not careful. I wouldn't recommend tuning any lower than half a step down with those. But if you stay in standard tuning the SD sings.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 30 2008, 09:55 PM
Instructor
If you want a warm and mellow sounding neck pickup, I would suggest the Seymour Duncan Jazz pickup. It's very creamy and warm, I had one in my Epiphone that I sold and I loved it!

But out of those options that you listed I would probably go with the Super Distortion and maybe the Evo Neck smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Jan 30 2008, 10:09 PM
cannttt decide
sup dist + paf joe
sup dist + evo neck
evo + evo
???????????????????????????????????????

This post has been edited by kevin-riff-after-riff: Jan 31 2008, 05:53 PM

+Quote Post
boneT
Feb 1 2008, 04:11 AM
QUOTE (kevin-riff-after-riff @ Jan 30 2008, 04:09 PM) *
cannttt decide
sup dist + paf joe
sup dist + evo neck
evo + evo
???????????????????????????????????????

you don't say what kind of music you are playing but these two pups are used by some of the best rock and blues players in the world. I have Fralins in my strat ( vintage pups ) and my dc 400 ( unbuckers). They are not gonna be best for metal but will make you salivate at mid gain and lower think SRV,Clapton,Gilmour, Knopler.

I may put some rio grandes in my LP I just bought on ebay. I think it has a JB and a 59t in it now and that may be just what I want. I haven't played it yet.

http://www.riograndepickups.com/

http://www.fralinpickups.com/

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Feb 2 2008, 12:08 AM
hmmm my dad kinda helped me decided fast coz i was never gonna choose one lol

got the Super distortion and evo neck

will inform on how these 2 work together when i put them in smile.gif wooh more gear reviews heh

+Quote Post
KloCkWorXx
Feb 2 2008, 09:56 PM
i have a paf joe on my ibanez its a nice pick up, and i got the mo joe bridge which is nice too

--------------------
My gear:
epi zakk wylde
ec 1000 cherry
js 100 w dimarzios
dean from hell
5150 half stack
micro cube
Effects: boss delay dd-6, EH small clone chorus, Wylde Wah, Heil talkbox, Boss super overdrive, Rp 250
NS2 Noise Suppressor, DOD YJM308 Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive

+Quote Post
KloCkWorXx
Feb 2 2008, 10:55 PM
oops just saw u picked one haha

This post has been edited by KloCkWorXx: Feb 2 2008, 10:59 PM

--------------------
My gear:
epi zakk wylde
ec 1000 cherry
js 100 w dimarzios
dean from hell
5150 half stack
micro cube
Effects: boss delay dd-6, EH small clone chorus, Wylde Wah, Heil talkbox, Boss super overdrive, Rp 250
NS2 Noise Suppressor, DOD YJM308 Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Feb 3 2008, 11:20 PM
QUOTE (KloCkWorXx @ Feb 2 2008, 09:55 PM) *
oops just saw u picked one haha

ah... haha now i gota live with the fact that if i had got the mo jo it might sound better than the super distortion thats comin

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:52 AM