Help Clearing Up Some Playing In Key/theory ?'s
osakamitsu
Sep 13 2007, 03:30 AM
GMC:er
Ok... I am having a tough time understanding where to start with theory. I played for about 10 years. Even though I dont know any theory I have a good ear and I can still write some decent stuff. But I can really see where its holding me back not knowing this stuff. But thats why I joined this site... To fix those problems. So if you could help me I have a few questions.

Say I start with this riff... this is something I wrote for my band, its a metalcore type riff along the lines of as I lay dying:

tuning: cgcfad

C -------------------------------------------------------]----------------------------------
G ---12---10---8---10---12108---------------------]---8----7----5---7----875---------
C 99---99---99--99---99---------12-10-8-10-12-]55--55--55--55--55-----87578--

*bottom set of nines and fives are palm muted...

Well first of all I couldnt tell you any of those notes without starting with the open string/first fret and counting up to them. Thats bad I know... lol

But say I wanted to write some lead on top of that. Or maybe even harmonize parts of that. Where would I start? What key would that riff be in and how do I tell? And once I know that stuff what scales would I be able to play on top of it... and how do I pick and choose them?

sorry the notes got a little messed up in the 2nd half... they need to look like that first section.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by osakamitsu: Sep 13 2007, 10:36 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Asphyxia Feeling
Sep 13 2007, 04:56 AM
if you rewrite the tab in a different font it should turn out ok. you need to use a font in which every letter number symbol etc is the same size. there's a technical word for it but i can't remember.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
What did you learn tonight?
while shouting so loud, you barely joyous, broken thing.
You are a voice that never sings, is what i say.
You are freezing over hell
You are bringing on that end you do so well
and you can only blame yourself, is what is say.

+Quote Post
osakamitsu
Sep 13 2007, 10:38 AM
ok i figured something out to where it looks more orderly... so any ideas?

+Quote Post
osakamitsu
Sep 16 2007, 05:14 AM
anyone? I could REALLY use the explanation....

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 16 2007, 05:26 AM
What I do, when im writing riffs or w/e. I either just pick a scale in any key, and just go like that. Or when im just screwing around, and when i notice I have somethign sounding pretty nice. I look at the notes Im using, and either just go and put more notes in. Or i try to fit that part of a riff into a scale, for however it makes me feel yeah konw. Sad, Minor, Happy Major, or w/e.

Honestly, you shouldnt take advice from me. You can find really everythign you need. In Andrews Theory Lesson's, and those are all correct, I may not be to good of a person to tell you. Hope any of this ehlps htough!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 16 2007, 08:23 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Not used to the tuning you're using here osakamitsu - so apologies if I've got this wrong (I haven't got a pen to work this one out on paper rolleyes.gif ). Looks like it's either in Bbmaj or Gmin. I think there is something in Andrew's theory lessons on harmonisation.

Couple of quick ways to visualise the fret board and save you counting up form the nut. Octave at 12th and 5th at the 7th fret on a guitar irrespective of the tuning note. So for C string you will get G at the 7th fret (5th of C) and C one octave higher at 12th. Similarly for G string you get the 5th (D) at the 7th fret and the octave at the 12th. There's a thread on the board concerning how to learn the notes of the fretboard.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 16 2007, 11:06 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 16 2007, 02:23 AM) *
Not used to the tuning you're using here osakamitsu - so apologies if I've got this wrong (I haven't got a pen to work this one out on paper rolleyes.gif ). Looks like it's either in Bbmaj or Gmin. I think there is something in Andrew's theory lessons on harmonisation.

Couple of quick ways to visualise the fret board and save you counting up form the nut. Octave at 12th and 5th at the 7th fret on a guitar irrespective of the tuning note. So for C string you will get G at the 7th fret (5th of C) and C one octave higher at 12th. Similarly for G string you get the 5th (D) at the 7th fret and the octave at the 12th. There's a thread on the board concerning how to learn the notes of the fretboard.

Cheers,
Tony

Yeah that is a weird tuning.

My first guess, just a shot out of the dark, Drop C, but then again lol. There 2 C's up there.

This post has been edited by Ryan: Sep 16 2007, 11:07 AM

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
osakamitsu
Sep 16 2007, 03:26 PM
hey thanks for the info. I'll look into it and see what happens. It is Drop C... it sounds alot like a much deeper drop D.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 16 2007, 06:29 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Yes it's dropped C though I meant the scale rather then the tuning...

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:24 PM