Your Favorite Teachers
Cosmin Lupu
May 17 2014, 07:46 AM
Instructor
Since our friend Spock mentioned his 150-200 years old guitar teacher that managed to demotivate him when he was 7 biggrin.gif I thought I would as this question - what teacher did motivate you into learning something in your life (it doesn't have to be music necessarily) and how did he/she do it? Did you respect him/her or fear/love him/her?

For instance when I was in the 11th grade in highschool I flunked the chemistry course, because the teacher was completely nuts and I learned organic chemistry in such a way not only that I passed the course, but I also managed to help all my college mates understand things in the first year, when everyone was facing chemistry troubles biggrin.gif I guess fear was my motivation in this case and I didn't like it one bit, but I managed to pull my guts and go through it. How about you?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 17 2014, 12:54 PM
Instructor
The best teachers are the ones that can managed to get you to learn enough about a subject that you don't, or didn't even particular care about.

We had a brilliant history teacher from Belfast. I already liked history anyway, but we were in our last 2 (I think ?) years before our exams so there were 2 defined courses set out.. one was Medicine Through Time and the other was The American West.

Now I had no particular interest in either of those subjects but his teaching ability was so good that he could take a classroom of disinterested kids (and kids who weren't that bright or good at paying attention) and make them interested. He could pick pretty much anyone at random, ask them a question and they'd be able to answer. And this would include the sorts of kids that would have trouble spelling their own name. The dude was inspiring and that was the key. He made it interesting. I sincerely hope he still teaches or is doing well in whatever he does because he was great.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 18 2014, 11:27 AM
Instructor
Great story mate! smile.gif I also had a machinery organs professor in the university, who was a very intelligent and methodical guy. He managed to teach me some stuff, especially knowing that I was totally uninterested, but he understood my passion for music and somehow he related all the concepts to musical ones - gotcha! He caught my interest and that's how he managed to teach me smile.gif Great dude all in all!

So, who else has a nice story? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 18 2014, 07:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 17 2014, 08:54 AM) *
The best teachers are the ones that can managed to get you to learn enough about a subject that you don't, or didn't even particular care about.

We had a brilliant history teacher from Belfast. I already liked history anyway, but we were in our last 2 (I think ?) years before our exams so there were 2 defined courses set out.. one was Medicine Through Time and the other was The American West.

Now I had no particular interest in either of those subjects but his teaching ability was so good that he could take a classroom of disinterested kids (and kids who weren't that bright or good at paying attention) and make them interested. He could pick pretty much anyone at random, ask them a question and they'd be able to answer. And this would include the sorts of kids that would have trouble spelling their own name. The dude was inspiring and that was the key. He made it interesting. I sincerely hope he still teaches or is doing well in whatever he does because he was great.

This is a beautiful story. I really admire to those teachers who love what they do and had the power to make everybody feel interested in what he is teaching. I didn't have too many, but I had some special ones, mostly when I was at the University. The one that taught Semiology was amazing, he made me feel very interested on it, and I started to read extra books and some films.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Spock
May 18 2014, 08:08 PM
GMC:er
I had a lot of really good teachers that I liked, but I think my favorite was a 10th grade Criminology teacher. He was just a good, good, good old soul. Always wanted to laugh and make us students laugh. Bless his heart, he was built like a golf ball sitting on a tee. I never could figure out how his pants stayed up.

The man was never in a bad mood, and always made everyone feel like they were his true friend. I wish I was more like him, and I wish everyone was more like him too.

+Quote Post
Hexabuzz
May 19 2014, 03:00 AM
Before I played guitar, I played piano, and when I was about 14 or 15, my dad realized I was getting bored with my classical teacher, and I don't know where he found him, but he found this old Jazz cat named Melvin Williams...

He was also about 100 years old, constantly smoked cigarettes and coughed, and you could just tell that he had about a million miles of experience on him...

Anyway,

Every week, he would take out a blank piece of staff paper, and totally from memory write out a lead sheet of the chord changes and melody to a jazz standard... He wouldn't even touch the keyboard, he just had it all in his memory...

And we would spend an hour talking and playing different chord voicings and improvising over the melody...

I only studied with him about a year before he got to be too sick to teach anymore but I'll never forget everything he taught me about comping and improv...

This post has been edited by Hexabuzz: May 19 2014, 11:08 AM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 19 2014, 10:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ May 18 2014, 08:08 PM) *
I had a lot of really good teachers that I liked, but I think my favorite was a 10th grade Criminology teacher.

I don't know what age 10th grade is but learning Criminology in school ? How ? I wish we had that smile.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
May 19 2014, 04:08 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 19 2014, 05:42 AM) *
I don't know what age 10th grade is but learning Criminology in school ? How ? I wish we had that smile.gif

10th grade is around 14.5 to 15.5 years old I would guess.

Yea criminology was great. It was really a sociology class, but the teacher was a retired law enforcement officer; he said he was a Teacher by Day and Rent-A-Cop by nights.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 19 2014, 06:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ May 19 2014, 04:08 PM) *
Yea criminology was great. It was really a sociology class, but the teacher was a retired law enforcement officer; he said he was a Teacher by Day and Rent-A-Cop by nights.

Well that would make sense for sure... sociopathic behaviour is found in most deliberate criminal activities, I reckon. Really interesting subject. I bet he'd have some great stories to tell smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 19 2014, 09:57 PM
Instructor
Wow! As Ben says! Criminology in the 10th grade? Hell man, we had chemistry and literature and maths - what kind of an awesome school did you have?

Another great teacher I had was the elementary school history teacher smile.gif She really cultivated my passion for history up to the point in which in the 7th grade I managed to get 3rd place in the Municipial History Olympics - that's a big History contest between various students in our capital biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:23 AM