Swapping Pickups - Need Wiring Help, with pictures
kahall
Nov 9 2009, 01:28 AM
Learning Roadie
I need to make sure before I solder in a new pickup that I am doing it correctly.

Here is a picture of the infinity pickup wiring as it is now in my ibanez. The larger green wire is the one that has to go as it leads to the pickup I am replacing. Coming out of the larger green wire there is a red and white wire going to the 5 way selector switch as you can see and a gray wire (might be more colors wired together but won't know until I unsolder it) going to the volume knob. The wires in the new seymour duncan I am going to install are slightly different as you can see in the next picture. I can do the unsoldering and soldering ok I am just not sure of what wires go where.

Do the red and white wires on the seymour just go where the ones from the infinity are now? I am thinking yes but not sure. Then if that is right where do the green, bare and black wire go in order for this to work? There is a wiring diagram with the new pickup but it is not really clear.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 9 2009, 02:01 AM
Learning Tone Master
Unsolder the everything that comes from the big grenn wire (aka the pickup you want to remove).
The green and bare cable of the duncan go ontop of the volume knob for grounding, white,red and black go to the 5 way switch. In which order is up to the switching options you want to have...

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wirin...1tone_super5way

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Nov 9 2009, 02:01 AM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
kahall
Nov 9 2009, 02:26 AM
Learning Roadie
Wow. Perfect timing. I just removed the old one and am ready to solder the new wires. So, I am putting the green and bare on the volume knob. No problem there.
The diagram you posted the link to shows the red and white together. Should I do that and put it where the red one was before and then put the black one where the old white wire was? I am not really sure what that does. I guess I may have to try it several ways to get it right.
Thanks man.

UPDATE: That is the way I hooked up. Seems fine to me. I may try something else when I'm tired of playing one day and see what I get.
Thanks again.

This post has been edited by kahall: Nov 9 2009, 04:36 AM

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 9 2009, 04:03 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (kahall @ Nov 9 2009, 02:26 AM) *
Wow. Perfect timing. I just removed the old one and am ready to solder the new wires. So, I am putting the green and bare on the volume knob. No problem there.
The diagram you posted the link to shows the red and white together. Should I do that and put it where the red one was before and then put the black one where the old white wire was? I am not really sure what that does. I guess I may have to try it several ways to get it right.
Thanks man.

UPDATE: That is the way I hooked up. Seems fine to me. I may try something else when I'm tired of playing one day and see what I get.
Thanks again.

Glad it helped you. I am not too experinced when soldering in multiconductors.

I just recieved two new sets of Bareknuckle pickups and I will spend the evening soldering them in with coilsplit...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:33 PM