Staying In Tune With Tremelo
fkalich
Jul 31 2007, 01:59 AM
GMC:er
Yngwie says: "It has totally to do with the way you string and tune the instrument, the way you SET the strings when you tune them so they don't slip. And the order in which you tune them can make a difference, as well as the direction in which the strings are wound on the peg. Proper stringing and tuning is a very sensitive business. Since I decided at an early age that the Strat was my guitar of choice, I knew I'd better damn well learn how to string them properly. I don't have a locking tremolo or any such device, and my guitars never go out of tune. The strings may be dead after a concert--if you've been to one of my shows you know why--but they don't go out of tune."

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 31 2007, 02:22 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Tempting to comment that on a non-locking trem that provided you have properly stretched the strings, lock them on the post and wind them properly that provided you haven't got a nut that binds then keeping the strings in tune isn't a big deal imo. (Most of this also applies to a locking trem). Thing I thought was a tuning issue with strats were the string trees as Fender don't have the bridge to tuning post in a straight line so that the string cuts at an angle at the nut to the peg. and the tree exacerbates this...

This comes from a guy who has his guitar strung and tuned by a tech anyway...

Or am I just being controversial and/or being stupid and missing Yngwie's point?

Or all the above.

Cheers,
Tony

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 31 2007, 03:21 AM) *

Sorry meant Yngwie there fkalich.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 31 2007, 03:00 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 30 2007, 08:22 PM) *
Tempting to comment that on a non-locking trem that provided you have properly stretched the strings, lock them on the post and wind them properly that provided you haven't got a nut that binds then keeping the strings in tune isn't a big deal imo. (Most of this also applies to a locking trem). Thing I thought was a tuning issue with strats were the string trees as Fender don't have the bridge to tuning post in a straight line so that the string cuts at an angle at the nut to the peg. and the tree exacerbates this...

Or am I just being controversial and/or being stupid and missing Yngwie's point?

Or all the above.

Cheers,
Tony
Sorry meant Yngwie there fkalich.

well, his point was that you can stay in tune just fine with a standard Strat tremolo, if you do things correctly. Unless you think he owns magical strats, or that he is lying to us.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jul 31 2007, 03:07 AM
Is it tremelo or tremolo ? huh.gif unsure.gif

This post has been edited by FretDancer69: Jul 31 2007, 03:08 AM

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Jul 31 2007, 03:18 AM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Jul 30 2007, 10:07 PM) *
Is it tremelo or tremolo ? huh.gif unsure.gif

Its tremolo smile.gif

My expereince trying to use any bridge other than a floyd to whammy is useless.This doesnt mean it cant be done but, it is a real pain and just not worth the time for me.I had a Jackson with floyd that stayed in tune but, then there was a down side to it for me.It is a pain to put strings on and tuning isnt fun either.I'm waiting for a bridge that is easy to work like a standard but with the effects of a floyd. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 31 2007, 10:17 AM
first off, stretch the strings. then, tune up, check intonation, check if bridge is paralell with guitar body. fix feathers, fix intonation, lock strings.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 31 2007, 10:28 AM
Instructor
Last week i managed to restring EDGE tremolo in 1 hour and the guitar doesn't go out of tune for a week now! Usually these Edge and Floyds are pain in the ass to restring but i guess i just did it the right way. I just put the new strings on - tuned the guitar, than stretched the strings with right hand when they were already tuned - and than retuned it and there it is. 6 days now and it is still in tune.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:57 AM