7 Year Old Practice Routine
Outlaw2112
Feb 7 2009, 03:12 PM
GMC:er
Does anyone have any suggestions to get a 7 year old motivated to play and practice guitar?
He tells me its too hard

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sted
Feb 7 2009, 03:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
have you tried a novelty guitar? I think they do some 3/4 size kids guitars with cartoon characters (Spongebob square pants is one, dont ask me how i know.......) or something, also it might be an idea to get him on Guitar Hero on the playstation or similar which might want him to take it up for real, or it might turn him into a couch potato of course!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Feb 7 2009, 03:22 PM
QUOTE (sted @ Feb 7 2009, 03:17 PM) *
have you tried a novelty guitar? I think they do some 3/4 size kids guitars with cartoon characters (Spongebob square pants is one, dont ask me how i know.......) or something, also it might be an idea to get him on Guitar Hero on the playstation or similar which might want him to take it up for real, or it might turn him into a couch potato of course!

he picked out a guitar that he wanted for christmas and i got it for him.. He also has his own line 6 spider amp to play through.. and he plays guitar hero with his cousin all the time

I think im going to just make him practice with me sitting there with him, but i only get him on the weekends so once or twice a week practice probably wont help him much.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 7 2009, 03:22 PM
Learning Tone Master
Guitar Hero or a live concert/DVD of his favourite band (if has one)...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
vampire18
Feb 7 2009, 03:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
starting is hard especially for young kids but when you build them a routine they can handle it. if you force him to practice he will se it as a bad thing like a chore and hell never grow to like it. instead you can make him some goals like i dont know in 3 month time to be able to play iron man or nothing else matters or something like that and reward him for his progress... after a while hell start getting good at it and he would be able to learn songs and riffs he likes by himself and show off to his friends and he will be self motivated

just think how much time it takes from starting to play guitar to a point your able to play reasonably well even the easyest song on guitar hero

This post has been edited by vampire18: Feb 7 2009, 03:36 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Artemus
Feb 7 2009, 03:37 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
I'd recommend some simple open chords like Em or taking chords and only utilising say, just the top three strings (less fretting). Simple melodies can be good too. There's always the ole Status Quo type riffs too where you could teach him the 12 bar blues and jam along with him.

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Feb 7 2009, 04:07 PM
i asked him if he wants to learn iron man and he seemed stoked...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Artemus
Feb 7 2009, 04:19 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
Nice one! Hope you both have fun. Wicked tune too wink.gif

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 7 2009, 04:32 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I think he also needs to want it himself. If he doesn't, he'll only play because you want to, then he stills doesn't get into guitar tongue.gif I get the idea, if he starts, he'll love it tongue.gif Also... he just started out and he got a Line6 Spider and a little 500 bucks guitar? .. ok tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Feb 7 2009, 04:36 PM
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Feb 7 2009, 04:32 PM) *
I think he also needs to want it himself. If he doesn't, he'll only play because you want to, then he stills doesn't get into guitar tongue.gif I get the idea, if he starts, he'll love it tongue.gif Also... he just started out and he got a Line6 Spider and a little 500 bucks guitar? .. ok tongue.gif

I wanted him to have a nice sound, it would suck to have his dad's sound soo much better than his... so i got him something that would have a nice sound to it... he has a dean guitar and a line 6 spider III

--------------------

+Quote Post
vampire18
Feb 7 2009, 05:46 PM
Learning Rock Star
i hope stoked is a good thing i dont know what it means but i glad i could help. iron man was my first song on the guitar.
i wish my parents was half as supportive as you are.. they dont want to help me get a new guitar and not because we cant afford it or anything... they just dont get why is a 1k rg better than 250 dollars worth of a crappy chinese squire... tehy think its like a computer that doesnt need replacing until its old or broken

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Feb 7 2009, 06:00 PM
I would start him out with nylon strings. It would be a shame if he didn't want to play because of sore fingers.

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:08 PM