Legato/tapping String Noise
Tim
May 27 2007, 02:57 AM
GMC:er
Hi. This is my first post here on GMC, been a member for a few weeks now. I have been trying to play this lick which goes something like:

T T

20--19--15-------------15--19--20--19--15------------------
-------------17------17-------------------------17------17----
-----------------16-----------------------------------16--------
-----------------------------------------------------------------

T T T

15--19--22--19--15--19--22--19--15--19--20--19--15-----------------
--------------------------------------------------------------17------17----
-------------------------------------------------------------------16-------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The idea is that you tap the 20's/22's and then the rest is pure legato. My problem comes when you switch strings, i always seem to get string noise when i speed it up. When You try and do this sort of fast string switching legato is it best to have your left hand fingers vertically so they touch only the string you are playing or slightly angled so they hit (but not fret) the string below? In pavels lesson on legato i seem to recall him saying u need your fingers to be vertical and then just use the index finger to mute the strings but if you are playing these sort of sweeping patterns your index finger has to do hammerons as well so it can't always mute the strings. The only way to mute the strings below the ones you are playing seems to be to fret the strings with your fingers at an angle but then sometimes that seems to get string noise anyway when you start playing faster. Even when you don't fret the notes just coming near the strings seems to generate noise. Any help would be appreciated....Would anyone judge me if i went for the easy solution and got one of those noise gate things or whatever they are..... lol cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 28 2007, 04:38 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
A Noise gate probably wouldnt solve that problem, plus a good noise gate is $100, what i suggest doing is practice it slowly and use the palm of your picking hand to mute the strings, and when you sweep just move your wrist with your pick, and your palm should be just behind the string your pick hits.

BUT...

If you want to do it STRAIGHT LEGATO, No picking, the best thing to do untill you develop and freakishly strong hammeron ( eg. Vai, Batio, Satch, Petrucci or something like that) is to dampen the strings with your right hand (picking hand in case your a lefty) by grabbing the neck around the 3-5 frets and rest your plam lightly enough on the strings so when you do a pull off like this

|-17p0--17p0--17p0-
|-----------------------
|-----------------------
|-----------------------
|-----------------------
|-----------------------

So Those open notes cant be heard, only the ones where your finger hammerons can be heard.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:26 PM