Announcement : Important For All Current Mtp:ers, and of course future MTP:ers :)
Chris Evans
Oct 6 2009, 04:24 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Hey GMC MTP:ers!

We`ve now completed the first month of the new style MTP! cant believe it has gone so quickly!!

We have been monitoring how things have been going and are really pleased with the interaction going on between mentors and mentorees! Lots of assignments, some cool explanation video`s and of course some general hanging out! smile.gif

Kris and I have been discussing various things and we believe that the MTP has the potential to be something really big and useful at GMC, for us to get it to that stage we will need to standardize the way the MTP`s run. Its probably going to be a little bit of a bumpy ride to get there, at times you will have to bear with us as we may try little things here and there to hopefully improve things in general.

As we gain more experience from the MTP we will add elements and possibly remove things that don't work till we get something that we believe is a workable standard.

This month we are going to introduce three new elements that the Instructors will begin to implement in the program this month.

1. Weekly assignments
A weekly assignment will be set by the Instructor and the student has one week to complete the assignment, and must then provide audio or video of how progress is going.

2. Monthly REC Take
After one month of mtp, the student must submit a REC take. This take doesn't necessarily have to pass, it would make sense to perhaps base assignments geared towards a particular GMC lesson that the student will submit at the end of the month. (as we get more experience we might set a minimum REC grade - it will likely be lower than 7,5 ) Note: This requirement will start from next month (November)

3. One new thread per month / per student
When the month is finished the instructor closes the mtp thread. The instructors' last post in the thread should be a summary of the student's four assignments and a link to the student's REC submission. If the student has failed to complete an assignment/progress report, or the monthly rec submission - he/she will not be able to continue with mtp until the missing parts have been completed. The student will then be eligible for the next round of mtp (note - we haven't exactly determined how the mtp cycles look - we won't be able to tell for sure until we have a couple of more months of experience from the program)

We know that these changes will mean a much higher tempo for some - and that some will probably not like it, but in order for the MTP to become a permanent feature then it must be a high tempo & hard working program, so before entering into the MTP you need to make sure that for one month at least you have the time to dedicate lots of hard work to complete the assignments and REC submission.

In other words - our number one priority will be to give the best possible mtp experience for those who have the possibility of putting lots of effort/time in the mtp program: If you have got the will and determination we will take you far.

We have already discussed this back and forth on the instructor boards - and instructors are very keen on keeping you guys as students, so they will do everything within their powers for you to progress at fastest possible rate.

At the same time as implementing theses changes we would of course ask for your input as well, and any suggestions that you may have that you think would improve the "MTP Experience" smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bondy
Oct 6 2009, 07:19 PM
Learning Roadie
Some nice improvements there Chris, Can I still apply for the MTP? or is it closed for now.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Oct 6 2009, 07:24 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Important parameters, guys. I think they will be a hit. I work better with defined time frames so I welcome the new guidelines. No complaints neither intended nor implied with the current setup, by the way. I'm very pleased to be involved in the evolution of this program.

Cheers!

Tom

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Oct 6 2009, 07:46 PM
QUOTE (Bondy @ Oct 6 2009, 07:19 PM) *
Some nice improvements there Chris, Can I still apply for the MTP? or is it closed for now.

closed just for the moment mate, keep your eyes out tho for the next application thread smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bondy
Oct 6 2009, 08:07 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Chris Evans @ Oct 6 2009, 07:46 PM) *
closed just for the moment mate, keep your eyes out tho for the next application thread smile.gif

I thought so thanks Chris smile.gif

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
Nimrandir
Oct 7 2009, 01:22 AM
GMC:er
Nice, this will deffinitely help with organization smile.gif
One question : I understand what happens if I fail to complete weekly assignment, but what happens if I complete it in say a couple of days? smile.gif Can the instructor still give more assignments on that week?

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Oct 7 2009, 08:02 AM
QUOTE (Nimrandir @ Oct 7 2009, 01:22 AM) *
Nice, this will deffinitely help with organization smile.gif
One question : I understand what happens if I fail to complete weekly assignment, but what happens if I complete it in say a couple of days? smile.gif Can the instructor still give more assignments on that week?

I cant see why not, your work rate is up to you smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
Oct 7 2009, 08:39 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I think it's great to tighten up the expectations on MTP students and push us a bit more to fulfill our assignments. I guess a dynamic solution was needed as well to kind of sort out less reactive members and free spots for others. This is indeed a great adjustment !!!

But i have some concerns with the REC entry part of these new rules.

The MTP added something new and fresh to GMC and covered some topics or approaches which are not easy to teach by video lessons. To be obliged now to create REC entries and with that necessarily work on GMC lessons within the MTP limits the options quite a bit.

REC demands to play lessons exactly like the instructor composed them and in original speed. Not sure how other members are doing with that, but i often need a LONG time to reach the original speed. May it be just one lick in the lesson or the whole collection of workouts. Any kind of improvisation or creativity assignments are incompatible with the REC by now.

That is maybe a personal thing, but i don't see the sense for me to post takes in the REC i'm not happy with .. just for to unlock the next month in the MTP.

My question is, why the REC obligation ? .. wouldn't it be enough to simply post at least one take of the lesson inside the monthly topic of the MTP?

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Oct 11 2009, 12:21 AM
I think wrk brings up some very valid points here and was wondering why it hasn't sparked any discussion? I would have thought that the whole point of the MTP programme is to help a student reach their goals and further their abilities? If so, then these may very well be incompatible with a REC submission by virtue of being more intangible measures of progress. For instance, one wants to learn better the techniques of improvisation, composition, theory etc. In that case, wouldn't the weekly assignments be more than enough to fulfil the requirement of showing clear and recognisable commitment to the programme? It does limit the mode of instruction and style of the instructor greatly.

I don't know. I just thought wrk's post warrants some food for thought ....

[EDIT] >> I am sure the proposed changes are a step in the right direction for purposes of administrative overhead - easier to gauge who is and who isn't IN the programme and therefore keep available slots for those that ARE committed. I have the distinct feeling though that I probably won't be enrolling in the MTP programme as I had intended and will continue to study on my own. Learning takes time and can't be forced. A dynamic schedule is useful for some but I ain't so sure it would work for me - someone who spends weeks on fingerings, patterns, technique. Not a lot to submit there for a REC really.

This post has been edited by Neurologi: Oct 11 2009, 12:41 AM

--------------------
My gear? Mesa Boogie Triaxis - TC Electronic G-Major - Marshall 9200 Dual MonoBloc (2x100W) - Fender Roc Pro 4x12 (300W) + a whole lot more!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 15 2009, 12:24 PM
Instructor
Thanks for the info. I've been away for about 10 days but back to work now.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Dr.Arp
Nov 12 2009, 04:17 PM
It would be great if you could post the new mtp application link here !
thanx a lot!

This post has been edited by Dr.Arp: Nov 12 2009, 07:02 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:38 PM