Chords With Bassnotes
Lester
Jul 31 2010, 02:12 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi guys,

I was playing around a bit with some chords over the C major scale and I noticed that it's possible to add a G note on top of the C major open chord (3rd fret, low E-string)and that it would probably make an C/G or you could say a C with a G bassnote.

So I looked it up on some chordsite, and it said it was indeed, but as I scrolled through the chords it also named this as a C/G: xx5557
Now that's what I don't understand: the notes in the chord are in ascending order: G, C, E, C
In my thought this would be C major chord (inverted fifth) with a high C added (it remains C major though)
I would rather call this a C/G: xx5553, because then you have a C major triad with a G above it (on the D-string)

Some other site said that the bassnote is always the deepest (lowest) note played, is this true?? Because if it is, shouldn't every inverted chord be named with a bassnote next to it, like the example above? huh.gif

Any thoughts on this anyone?? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Pedja Simovic
Jul 31 2010, 02:54 PM
Instructor
My new series that I just recorded 2 lessons for are focusing on that! Chord superimposing... Triads over bass note. It will be very useful for you I am sure. Hope it will be on site soon !

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lester
Jul 31 2010, 03:03 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jul 31 2010, 03:54 PM) *
My new series that I just recorded 2 lessons for are focusing on that! Chord superimposing... Triads over bass note. It will be very useful for you I am sure. Hope it will be on site soon !

Ok, that's great! I'm looking forward to it!!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 31 2010, 05:45 PM
Instructor
Great to hear that. I just submitted parts 1 and 2 of the series for publishing. If all goes well they should be on site sometime in the near future.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Thrasymachus
Aug 1 2010, 04:16 PM
GMC:er
To my knowledge the lowest note is the bass note even though it might not be very low at all, and an inversion should therefore be named with a bass note.

What might confuse you though, is that in a band context the bass player might play an even lower c, so the chord being played would just be a C (with a c in the bass) even though you are playing one of the mentioned chords.

Ps. the 7th fret on the e string is a b note, so xx5557 would actualy be a Cmaj7/G but im assuming that is just a typo

+Quote Post
Lester
Aug 5 2010, 06:04 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jul 31 2010, 06:45 PM) *
Great to hear that. I just submitted parts 1 and 2 of the series for publishing. If all goes well they should be on site sometime in the near future.

Sound good, I'll look into them.thanks!

QUOTE (Thrasymachus @ Aug 1 2010, 05:16 PM) *
To my knowledge the lowest note is the bass note even though it might not be very low at all, and an inversion should therefore be named with a bass note.

What might confuse you though, is that in a band context the bass player might play an even lower c, so the chord being played would just be a C (with a c in the bass) even though you are playing one of the mentioned chords.

Ps. the 7th fret on the e string is a b note, so xx5557 would actualy be a Cmaj7/G but im assuming that is just a typo

Yeah, it's a typo... I did know about the bass. anyhow, it sounds logic what youre saying, still unsure if everyone applies this though.

Thanks for the help!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:14 PM