Practicing Hard Songs, how to do it?
toho
Sep 1 2008, 04:51 PM
GMC:er
Hi, I was just wondering, when you guys learn an advanced piece of music such as arpeggios from hell or something. How do you practice? Do you learn the whole song at about 50% speed first and then speed it up as you practice or do you learn for example the first 15 bars first really well, up to 100% speed and then go on with the next 15? Hope you get what im asking tongue.gif

BTW I love this site! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Capt.Z
Sep 1 2008, 05:32 PM
I will usually learn it piece by piece... learn them at full speed, then combine it...

There are lots of oher approaches wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

GMC IS TIGHT DAWG

+Quote Post
Kuba Szafran
Sep 1 2008, 05:39 PM
Instructor
I usually start with learning whole piece in a really small tempo, if there are any difficult places I practice them separatly, then I'm trying to play solo properly couple of times in row, after that I increase metronome tempo gradually (5-10 bpm). Ofc when you want to practice any long solos or songs you should practice it piece by piece, then combining them and speeding up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Sep 1 2008, 05:58 PM
sloowwwlly.. I think sometimes its acceptable to break the song into chunks. If there is a fast solo i obviously practice it slowly until i can work my way up and play it faster. But if i can play the majority of the stuff up to speed i will definatly practice it at speed!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
toho
Sep 1 2008, 06:04 PM
thanks for your answers smile.gif i usually break the song into pieces aswell but it is more fun to learn the whole slowly and then gradually increase tempo, but it seems like if i do that, i usually do not have the patience to practice it until i got it 100%.

+Quote Post
Gus
Sep 1 2008, 07:35 PM
first of all, use guitar pro wink.gif

break down in small pieces and practice more the most difficult. play each part at the speed you can (you don't have to play all slowly just because of a part)_

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Canis
Sep 1 2008, 07:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
I break it into pieces, kinda like the lessons here at GMC, and practice at slow tempo. I've found out that when I practice too large parts at a time, I've forgotten it after a while.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Siggum
Sep 1 2008, 07:47 PM
Start slowly, and make sure you get each part right, a normal piece i normal divide into 6-7 sections and then working on each untill they are playable, and i can move on.

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Sep 1 2008, 09:15 PM
Instructor
Go directly of the fragments I cant play confortabbly, practice it with no tempo to make sure I know/decide how I should play that passage, then use slow metronome to let my body memorize it.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
wrk
Sep 1 2008, 10:08 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (toho @ Sep 1 2008, 07:04 PM) *
thanks for your answers smile.gif i usually break the song into pieces aswell but it is more fun to learn the whole slowly and then gradually increase tempo, but it seems like if i do that, i usually do not have the patience to practice it until i got it 100%.

I would suggest you to simplify or replace some parts when there are too advanced for your current level. Like this you are able to play through the complete song/solo.

You still should keep these parts in mind and practice them separately.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 2 2008, 02:48 AM
Instructor
Piece by piece is a good way to go. If there are many similar sequences, try to combine them so they are not boring, and make a nice little interesting "practice game" out of them. You should practice them as long as you feel comfortable playing them. When you stop feeling comfortable, take a break, day or two and carry on pushing it up the tempo.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 2 2008, 12:15 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Normally I go piece by piece, like this I can focus on the difficult parts and only continue after I can play those parts without problems. But of course there are other options as well, like learning the song as a whole, just in a slower tempo. Basically anything that makes it more easy for you is fine.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Sep 2 2008, 03:24 PM
Instructor
yeah, the best is going piece by piece, in short fragments (verse, riff A, chorus, etc.) and write your own exercises for the most difficult parts wink.gif This will help you in the song and in your own technique and imagination biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mark.
Sep 2 2008, 03:27 PM
I mostly learn the whole piece first at a slow tempo, and then I'm starting to speed things up.

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Sep 2 2008, 04:40 PM
Instructor
All of this works, I do both, learn it piece by piece fast, then find out the parts I am having problems with, practice those slow and slowly increase tempo, then put the whole thing together and practice it slow, then start increasing the speed for the whole thing.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Sep 3 2008, 10:17 AM
Instructor
I prefer to broke down in pieces. When I learn to whole piece i try to play a little faster, this way I'm more confident with the original speed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FrankW
Sep 6 2008, 12:10 AM
I usually take an easy song and triple the speed and learn it that way. Then I'm ready for a moderately hard song which I double in speed. Then I'm ready for a hard song which I play at normal speed.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:27 PM