3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
E.r.g. (extended Range Guitars) Only Thread
Todd Simpson
Aug 1 2013, 10:06 PM
GMC:er
Awesome smile.gif Would the strandberg be headless? BTW did you know you can download the strandberg build plans for free? They are creative commons so it's public smile.gif You might be able to get some ideas.

P.S. hand built guitars can easily fetch 4,000 each or more so it can be very profitable to build them smile.gif

d
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Aug 1 2013, 09:02 AM) *
The 5th string will be LOW C and the 6th LOW F! smile.gif The guitars are more of a hobby. I try to build 1 a year, as I get time. Every one gets a bit better. Don't see why I couldn't do a 7 or 8 V. I'd be up for it if you are!!! I also got plans to build an 8 that is a cross between a Strandberg ergo shape, and my F series 7 string style. But that is just a couple boards glued together at this point.

laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Aug 5 2013, 04:00 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 1 2013, 09:06 PM) *
Awesome smile.gif Would the strandberg be headless? BTW did you know you can download the strandberg build plans for free? They are creative commons so it's public smile.gif You might be able to get some ideas.

P.S. hand built guitars can easily fetch 4,000 each or more so it can be very profitable to build them smile.gif

d

laugh.gif I think I'm a little ways from getting 4 grand for them, but they are fun to build. My F series/ergo/Strandberg abomination will not be headless. I just can't get by the headless thing. I made up a template and have gotten a little bit done on them. I don't want to totally hijack this thread so I can post some pics in a new thread. smile.gif

This is a guitar made by Rick Toone. I love the organic nature of it. Even if it is headless. rolleyes.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 6 2013, 06:14 AM
I"m looking forward to seeing it smile.gif Yeah, the headless thing is not for everything. I personally don't mind it but hey whatever twists one's nickers!!!!

That guitar you like (even though it's headless, ahem) is certainly unique. There's something to be said for that! Nice grain on it smile.gif But yeah, I don't think I"ll need one. sad.gif Now a a VON guitar, that would be something spiff!!! i Vote you pull out your metal working skills and use zero plastic!

Todd

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Aug 5 2013, 11:00 AM) *
laugh.gif I think I'm a little ways from getting 4 grand for them, but they are fun to build. My F series/ergo/Strandberg abomination will not be headless. I just can't get by the headless thing. I made up a template and have gotten a little bit done on them. I don't want to totally hijack this thread so I can post some pics in a new thread. smile.gif

This is a guitar made by Rick Toone. I love the organic nature of it. Even if it is headless. rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 6 2013, 06:23 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 6 2013, 10:33 PM
Some spiff RAN guitars.

Attached Image
Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 6 2013, 10:33 PM

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 7 2013, 12:18 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 6 2013, 09:33 PM) *
Some spiff RAN guitars.

Attached Image
Attached Image

What a beauty! I'd like to try this one out biggrin.gif

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 16 2013, 08:37 AM
Now this is a bit CRAZY smile.gif IT's not so much and ERG as it is a bass and guitar slapped together smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 16 2013, 01:54 PM
Here is a pretty compact ERG Rig smile.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 17 2013, 08:52 AM
Todd, if I get a seven or an eight string, would I be able to tune the thickest string(s) so that the guitar can be in dropped tuning at the same time being in a standard tuning at the bottom six strings?

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 17 2013, 11:29 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 16 2013, 07:37 AM) *
Now this is a bit CRAZY smile.gif IT's not so much and ERG as it is a bass and guitar slapped together smile.gif

That is pretty fantastic. smile.gif With the amount of strings on his guitar and his approach to playing, it reminds me of a chapman stick.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 18 2013, 04:19 AM
Sure smile.gif The intonation might drift a pinch but you should be fine. I tune my ibby 8 low string to E like Tosin abasi and keep the rest in standard 7 string tuning. Despite the fact that the RG8 is designed to be 2 steps down tuned, I don't do that. None of my other guitars would match so recording would be a huge pain.

QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Aug 17 2013, 03:52 AM) *
Todd, if I get a seven or an eight string, would I be able to tune the thickest string(s) so that the guitar can be in dropped tuning at the same time being in a standard tuning at the bottom six strings?

Bingo!! smile.gif And in a way it's like Stanley Jordan Meets Tosin Abasi smile.gif

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Aug 17 2013, 06:29 AM) *
That is pretty fantastic. smile.gif With the amount of strings on his guitar and his approach to playing, it reminds me of a chapman stick.

Now this is a real beauty!!! Ibby 8. Spiff!

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 18 2013, 04:28 AM

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 18 2013, 07:14 AM
Thanks! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 18 2013, 03:19 AM) *
Now this is a real beauty!!! Ibby 8. Spiff!

Attached Image

I think Brandon (thefireball) here has that one smile.gif I didn't know they had any 8 strings in the RG series before finding out about rg8 tongue.gif and of course, then I saw you had one too tongue.gif

This post has been edited by sammetal92: Aug 18 2013, 07:18 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 18 2013, 07:24 AM
BRANDON has the RG8 like me smile.gif It's the starter 8 string but it gets the job done smile.gif You can get a KRAKON (Korean from the same factory as AGILE) for about $300 on ebay, but it's nearly 100 to ship from Korea. You can also get a AGILE used 8 for about the same price on ebay. But as per usualy, I wouldn't suggest it unless you've played one first smile.gif Speaking of 8 strings I"m going to sell mine on Ebay now that I think about it smile.gif I think I"m going to save up for a FANNED FRET model and they are not cheap sad.gif

QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Aug 18 2013, 02:14 AM) *
Thanks! biggrin.gif

I think Brandon (thefireball) here has that one smile.gif I didn't know they had any 8 strings in the RG series before finding out about rg8 tongue.gif and of course, then I saw you had one too tongue.gif

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Aug 19 2013, 03:50 PM
I just saw the other day that Ibanez is bringing back their 7 string acoustic. This is gonna be the next guitar I buy!!!!

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_ag_page...p;series_id=133

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 20 2013, 07:01 AM
Nice!!!! Can't wait to hear!

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Aug 19 2013, 10:50 AM) *
I just saw the other day that Ibanez is bringing back their 7 string acoustic. This is gonna be the next guitar I buy!!!!

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_ag_page...p;series_id=133

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 11 2013, 05:13 PM
I found a FANNED FRET 8 STRING by AGILE for a shockingly cheap (by comparison with any other fanned fret 8) price. $799. I'm guessing it needs new pickups and a good setup so really more like a grand. But still for a fanned fret 8 thats a steal. I've not read great things about the neck thickness though sad.gif Tad square and thick.

Anyone ever tried this guitar?

http://www.rondomusic.com/pendulumprodual7...blackflame.html

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 11 2013, 05:14 PM

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Sep 11 2013, 05:38 PM

why not???

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 11 2013, 07:49 PM
Well sure smile.gif Why not??

QUOTE (verciazghra @ Sep 11 2013, 12:38 PM) *

why not???

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 11 2013, 11:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
I'm considering (or not so much anymore...so, I have decided) saving up for an 8-string guitar, but only if I practice intensively for a year. That gives me time to save up as well. Maybe I should look into one of these 30-fret ones. The RAN ones, though not 30 fret, were staggeringly beautiful in my opinion.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 12 2013, 12:00 AM
The RAN guitars are pretty darn amazing smile.gif Keep in mind that fanned fret/multiscale guitars feel more like regular tension guitars on the higher strings while 8 string non fanned guitars have quite a bit more string tension so the high strings can feel a bit stiff. Make sure to try out some 8 string guitars at your local guitar shop to see which feels right smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 11 2013, 06:34 PM) *
I'm considering (or not so much anymore...so, I have decided) saving up for an 8-string guitar, but only if I practice intensively for a year. That gives me time to save up as well. Maybe I should look into one of these 30-fret ones. The RAN ones, though not 30 fret, were staggeringly beautiful in my opinion.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 12 2013, 12:04 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 12 2013, 01:00 AM) *
The RAN guitars are pretty darn amazing smile.gif Keep in mind that fanned fret/multiscale guitars feel more like regular tension guitars on the higher strings while 8 string non fanned guitars have quite a bit more string tension so the high strings can feel a bit stiff. Make sure to try out some 8 string guitars at your local guitar shop to see which feels right smile.gif

I definitely will, but only so when I get closer to having the funds, I think. Or maybe I'll go there once in a while to keep me inspired! I've been thinking about the RG2228 in white. Looks so darn cute! tongue.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:04 PM