2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Strings, Drop C Tuning
Marcus Siepen
Dec 17 2008, 10:48 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
In theory you can play any tuning with any kind of strings, but I seriously recommend thick strings when you use tunings like that, otherwise the strings will get way too sloppy. For a C tuning I would at least use .12 strings.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Dec 18 2008, 05:15 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Pizzoaro @ Nov 12 2008, 10:34 PM) *
Ok thanks anyway smile.gif Got a lot of money right now, so I guess ill just buy more strings until its perfect smile.gif

I have an old strat which I have used for a lot of experimenting. The current tuning is C / drop Bb, and the current gauge I`m using is 0.11 . The whole guitar in C is ofc a little lower than drop C, but I recommand you using at least 0.11. But the high e-string and b string will a little sloppy, so my advice for you would be to choose 0.12 for drop C tuning. The thin strings won`t get too sloppy, and the thicker bass strings, the more chunk you can get out of your riffs tongue.gif
If you`re wealthy at the moment, maybe you want to check out the Zakk Wylde signature strings(think they`re called boomers) as an experiment, they cost around 11$ in Norway. There are two versions, and both of them are hybrid sets. As you may know, Zakk has almost low tuning on every song (for instance Counterfeit God, thats LOW!), so he has one set with 0.11 on top and 0.60 at the bottom, and one set with 0.11 on the top and 0.72 at the bottom. You most propably will have to grind(?) out your nut if you choose the second set so they`ll fit since they`re so freakin thick biggrin.gif
For comparison, a standard G-string for bass guitar is usually 0.45
The reply became a little longer than planned, but I hope you got at least something helpful out smile.gif
One last thing, if you try 0.12 sets or thicker, I wuold certainly NOT tune my guitar to std E, since your neck or bridge surely will suffer severly from it. I`ve seen necks almost been deformed to a U shape...
Please give me a wink and a review If you try them out and tell me what you think:) I`ve just seen them, never tried them

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by mhskeide: Dec 18 2008, 05:21 PM

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
Rock
Dec 21 2008, 11:06 PM
GMC:er
I only have one guitar and I tune to drop d and drop c regularly and have not had a problem using 10 - 46. To me it's not sloppy but I'm no expert guitar player either. It provides more versatility since I tune back and forth from std. If I get another guitar strictly for metal I would most likely just use it for drop d, c or even b and use 11s or 12s exclusively.

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Dec 21 2008, 11:46 PM
Tuning to D standard or drop C with 10's is no problem, they have about the same tension as 9's in standard E.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Dec 22 2008, 12:02 AM
QUOTE (botoxfox @ Dec 21 2008, 11:46 PM) *
Tuning to D standard or drop C with 10's is no problem, they have about the same tension as 9's in standard E.

10 in Eb = 9s.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:51 PM