Comparing Older Songs To The Newer Ones You've Made
enlo22
Jul 22 2013, 07:43 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
Hey, i had this thought today after looking at old videos of songs i've made. i noticed that as when it comes to technique wise i've improved a lot but I feel like the old stuff I used to make had more flow to it, even though a lot of the times I was unsure of what i was doing. I'm wondering if anyone has had this thought or anything of comparing your older music to the newer onethey've made! just a thought. I don't feel like i'm regressing in guitar playing but creatively.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 22 2013, 08:18 AM
Instructor
I think I understand what You mean my. I have a similar thoughts but Once a found the problem I was trying to find the reasons for this happening. I think I was trying to do too many things at the same time, in one song and thay made the main melody/groove concept a bit blurry.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jul 22 2013, 09:17 AM
Theory Instructor
Yeah, for me it was a case of making do with what I knew in the beginning and then once I learned a lot of material, I tried to cram it all into one solo or song. Something I found that works really well, is to just focus on one thing at a time when I'm soloing. So maybe one solo I use just arpeggios, the next song I use just major modes, the next just triads etc. I find that helps me take out the decision making process in the moment, and then I can be more creative with one idea, kind of like how I was back when I was just starting out. Hope that helps!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 22 2013, 09:50 AM
Instructor
Hehe, I know what you mean smile.gif

I think that the curve of evolution works in the following fashion:

Up to a point you assimilate information on a high rate - the urge of implementing what you know is also big and you tend to unintentionally give in to temptations -> I want to show all my theoretical/technical skills in ONE song (we know it's not the only song we will write, but that urge is there). Of course, creativity is killed because learning a certain technique or notion is not complemented at THAT point with the experience of using it in a proper and balanced way and that's how we tend to lose flow smile.gif With time, experience comes in and it complements our technique and knowledge and tastefulness appears as well as balance and flow in a composition. Not technical flow (that should already be there), but musical flow.

This is how I see it smile.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Jul 22 2013, 09:51 AM

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jul 22 2013, 02:54 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I know what you mean, I've seen many guitarists do what your describing.
Whenever I write a song, I don't care about theory, technique or anything like that.
If I have a song in my head I make sure to play it as I feel it should be played.
Me and Trond Vold (Instructor here at GMC) have had quite a few discussions about some of my riffs/melodies,
because he is really stuck up on theory and stuff like that and want me to change my playing to suite his style.
I never do though, and he is usually impressed when I'm done.
Don't think to much on what you're doing and why you're doing it, just play.
Just play the song as you feel it should be played, and take it from there. You can "fix" it later if need be,
but don't go into such details while writing the song. It will make your creativity wither away smile.gif

That's my two cents anyway..

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 22 2013, 04:49 PM
Instructor
I think that we have more and less creative moments in our life, and that it's not something very logical. However, it can sound crazy but I believe that creativity is something that can be trained. There are many books and many techniques that talk about it.

In my case, I don't think that old stuff is better than newer, I think that once I got some good skills, then music just reflects me at that moment. Reflects how I felt, how much I wanted to write that piece, how many free time to it I had... I think that our creations speaks a lot about ourselves.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jul 22 2013, 05:08 PM
Theory Instructor
I agree that creativity can be learned over time. I teach mostly jazz and improvisation for a living, so many of my students will come to me with great chops and knowledge, but no experience in creating music and improvising on the spot. So from there we can dig into developing creativity as a learned skill, rather than an inherent gift, and they end up learning how to improvise rather than leaving it up to change. It's often misunderstood that being creative can't be learned, but it absolutely can. Good point man!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 23 2013, 11:28 AM
Instructor
Creativity can be stimulated by emotions as well - for instance, I have a friend who is an excellent drummer but, his life is dull and not sprinkled with all sorts of normal youth stuff - his parents are obsessed with him becoming a 'serious man'. Because of that, he somehow turned into an older person than his age and he always says no to everything and he doesn't have that energy and enthusiasm that his age should reflect.

Instead, when he is away from his folks long enough and he stays with us, I can see that spark somewhere and he becomes creative, up to a point, but then he becomes influenced again and going back to his old self. A weird story, but my point is, if you do not allow yourself to be free of all sorts of exterior pressure sources, your creativity will be hindered and you will enter a state of normality, where this hindering is something that you consider normal.

Anyway, indeed, creativity is something that CAN be trained, but inspiration is something that comes and goes - just like Gabe said - each moment in our life reflects what we felt in a particular music piece that we have written at that point smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 23 2013, 02:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Professor @ Jul 22 2013, 01:08 PM) *
I agree that creativity can be learned over time. I teach mostly jazz and improvisation for a living, so many of my students will come to me with great chops and knowledge, but no experience in creating music and improvising on the spot. So from there we can dig into developing creativity as a learned skill, rather than an inherent gift, and they end up learning how to improvise rather than leaving it up to change. It's often misunderstood that being creative can't be learned, but it absolutely can. Good point man!

Interesting post! It's cool to know that you give importance to develop creativity in your lessons. I think that you should do a thread sharing some ideas about it!

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 23 2013, 07:28 AM) *
Creativity can be stimulated by emotions as well - for instance, I have a friend who is an excellent drummer but, his life is dull and not sprinkled with all sorts of normal youth stuff - his parents are obsessed with him becoming a 'serious man'. Because of that, he somehow turned into an older person than his age and he always says no to everything and he doesn't have that energy and enthusiasm that his age should reflect.

Instead, when he is away from his folks long enough and he stays with us, I can see that spark somewhere and he becomes creative, up to a point, but then he becomes influenced again and going back to his old self. A weird story, but my point is, if you do not allow yourself to be free of all sorts of exterior pressure sources, your creativity will be hindered and you will enter a state of normality, where this hindering is something that you consider normal.

Anyway, indeed, creativity is something that CAN be trained, but inspiration is something that comes and goes - just like Gabe said - each moment in our life reflects what we felt in a particular music piece that we have written at that point smile.gif

Sad story that one. I hope that he could go to the psicolgist to try to avoid that block.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jul 23 2013, 03:42 PM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 23 2013, 02:44 PM) *
Interesting post! It's cool to know that you give importance to develop creativity in your lessons. I think that you should do a thread sharing some ideas about it!

Good idea, just did! smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=49584

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 23 2013, 06:21 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
With my newer stuff, I usually realize during recording (or production, if we wanna call it that) that I try to record yet another guitar line, another fill, another guitar track with a different amp setting playing in another octave and so on...I always stop myself at this point and delete a few unnecessary tracks again smile.gif

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 24 2013, 08:28 AM
Instructor
Record as many as you feel like and keep those who serve the song best smile.gif That's how I do it and how we do it in Days of Confusion songs, as well.

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Jul 24 2013, 10:14 AM
Learning Rock Star
My old songs were rap rock influenced by punk and metal.

My newer songs are instrumental, and are more influenced by ambient, electronic, post-rock and progressive rock.

Enough said.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 25 2013, 12:19 AM
Learning Roadie
I can relate. I find many of my older songs had more melody and the simplicity of them were what drove the track and gave it its flavor.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 26 2013, 01:22 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Very good points in this topic! I can also relate to this. I'm very proud of the songs I composed and/or bass lines I recorded 5 years ago. I clearly remember at that time that I didn't worry to much about anything, just pluck my way through it. I think that as you learn more and more (theory, technique etc), you easily get tempted to try out too much of the new stuff, or to change the way you approach composing. This can turn out both good or bad. In my playing, I'm noticing that I try to simplify what I play and to add a bit of movement to the lines. I think as we learn we evolve and that composing can be practiced as any other technique or thing we do. But, in the end - the creativity and "the moment" is what is matters the most.

Here are some comparisons of my style :

Some of my favorite (funky) songs, from period of 8-5 years ago :

Here are some newer songs/bass lines composed relatively recently (mostly in more pop/rock style) :

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 27 2013, 07:47 AM
Instructor
Listening to my songs as well as your band's songs, Bogdan, I realized that one thing which is changing as time goes by is that the music matures along with us - that is usually a good thing, right? Do you feel this in your music, as well?

+Quote Post
enlo22
Jul 27 2013, 06:32 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Very interesting what everyone has said, I think whaet gabe said about they're all feelings of a certain time. I totally agree. I guess in a way listening to our own older stuff is reminiscing on times of your life!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 28 2013, 12:24 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 27 2013, 08:47 AM) *
Listening to my songs as well as your band's songs, Bogdan, I realized that one thing which is changing as time goes by is that the music matures along with us - that is usually a good thing, right? Do you feel this in your music, as well?

Very well said, yes I thought about this a lot! smile.gif
It is a bit hard for me to think about it in terms of music being more mature over time. I have a feeling it is true, but how can we define it, which music is more mature then other? If we look at applying more complex stuff or getting more experienced at songwriting - then yes I think that is inevitable with time. In the end we can always give our best to make the song which fits the vision in our head at that time and hope it turns out cool and others like it as well. As they say - we need to first make a lot of "bad" songs before we starting making good ones smile.gif

In my case - I really like the songs I composed a long time ago and always enjoy listening to them after a lot of time has passed.
I think my style got more defined over time, but I still make "same" songs in terms that they follow my taste and vision for the "ultimate song" I'm looking for and what I like to hear in a song.

Now the interesting thing to discuss here is : are bands composing better songs over time?
(due to developing their style, getting more mature/experienced, developing skills or any other factor)

IMO, as with any art... sometimes you are just more inspired and manage to make something that amazes everyone. Sometimes you don't...depending on the moment. In any case - we should all make music for ourselves and hope for the best smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 28 2013, 03:11 PM
Instructor
True words Bogdan - indeed inspiration comes along when it does, but the knowledge we amass, can make that song sound like it's wearing a beautiful dress - it's like a beautiful woman. She is already beautiful, but when she is wearing the clothes that suit her personality and make her shine - she is even more, right?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:31 PM