The Pick
aenima1891
Jul 28 2008, 02:56 PM
GMC:er
hi to all.
I've a simple, and probably stupid, question. I just want to know if there is a correct way to hold the pick. I've started to play guitar after 2 years of rest, and before i hold the pick with the fingertips of my index and my thumb. Besides when i was playing a fast palm muting my pick was always turned upwards..i't difficult to explain.
now i'm practising to hold the pick like many GMC teachers.

Is it just a mental issue of mine, or really the way of holding the pick will influence my progresses?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by aenima1891: Jul 28 2008, 02:57 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Jul 28 2008, 03:11 PM
Instructor
They is no real "wrong" way to hold the pick, to me the picking is one of the most unique things about each player, even though there are similiarities between some players the picking style is very unique to each individual.

There are ways of holding the pick that can slow you down though depending on your technique, holding the pick at an angle is usually best because it will "roll" over the string rather than get hung up on top of or underneath it.

This is not to say you can't develop playing with it straight, it just takes alot more control and effort. Especially for Alternate picking and heavy Rhythms.

My advice is what ever is comfortable to you if you can learn like that and it feels good that it is right for you.

You may later as you progress find holding the pick differently will benefit you in other ways its a constantly evolving thing. Even the way you hold your hand.

For years i anchored my hand on the body of the guitar with my hand open across the strings, after awhile i realized if i wanted to play faster i needed to stop anchoring like that because i was fighting myself. It took a few weeks to get used to it but now playing with a closed hand is like second nature.

Daniel

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 28 2008, 08:50 PM
Instructor
I'm with Daniel here - You should hold the pick so you feel comfortable while playing. WHatever position gives you the best tone and playing flexibility you use it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Jul 28 2008, 09:04 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
I would advice You to also buy few different picks, because different shapes "lay" in hand better while held in certain way. So buy few picks, try different ways of holding them and choose the one that fits You most.

--------------------

+Quote Post
aenima1891
Jul 28 2008, 09:06 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Daniel Robinson @ Jul 28 2008, 04:11 PM) *
They is no real "wrong" way to hold the pick, to me the picking is one of the most unique things about each player, even though there are similiarities between some players the picking style is very unique to each individual.

There are ways of holding the pick that can slow you down though depending on your technique, holding the pick at an angle is usually best because it will "roll" over the string rather than get hung up on top of or underneath it.

This is not to say you can't develop playing with it straight, it just takes alot more control and effort. Especially for Alternate picking and heavy Rhythms.

My advice is what ever is comfortable to you if you can learn like that and it feels good that it is right for you.

You may later as you progress find holding the pick differently will benefit you in other ways its a constantly evolving thing. Even the way you hold your hand

For years i anchored my hand on the body of the guitar with my hand open across the strings, after awhile i realized if i wanted to play faster i needed to stop anchoring like that because i was fighting myself. It took a few weeks to get used to it but now playing with a closed hand is like second nature.

Daniel

ok Daniel. I understand. so there is only one thing that i can do: play play play

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jul 30 2008, 10:48 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
good plan, play play play smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:17 PM