Finger Stretching
Artemus
May 5 2010, 07:54 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
Hey GMC folk!
So I've been giving my fingers some abuse lately and further to my previous thread, here, I come to you for yet more help, this time specifically regarding stretching the fretting hand fingers. If anyone has anymore suggestions for me for finger obliteration, please, please, please let me know in the aforementioned thread or here, or PM me.

Anyhow, my finger stretching/span isn't too bad. Apart from the first chord, I can comfortably reach all the chords in the Stretchminator lesson, and except for the last variation, I can manage all of John Petrucci's finger stretching exercises at the beginning of his Rock Discipline DVD all the way down the neck.

The reason I struggle with the last variation and what I'm looking for specific help with is the stretch between my middle and ring fingers. In comparison to the stretches I can achieve with the other fingers, they're my weakest. I think this is natural. The problem is that I don't know of any popular stretching exercises (like the Slinky, or Spider etc) that focus on these two fingers specifically.

At the moment, I practice stretching these troublesome fingers with legato practice; hammer-on and pull off between the two fingers with increasing interval distances. Legato 3-note per string diminshed arpeggios seem to help a little bit too. However, I'd love it anyone could offer any more exercises or ideas that I could try to improve this stretch. I know my fingers should be able to because my right hand can stretch no problem, but I'm not a lefty..

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I also try practicing the usual 3NPS scales using just my middle, ring, and pinky. In fact, although I can stretch that far, it's about the limit for my middle/ring stretch.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Artemus: May 5 2010, 08:21 PM

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 5 2010, 08:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
I came up with a stretching exercise that I'm doing that might something of benefit to you. In John petrucci's warmups, he has a section on doing chromatic scales, that is 4 note per-string half steps. I do the same execercise starting at the 20th or so fret, but instead of chromatic scales, I do full steps, then work my way closer to the neck.

I agree that those two fingers are the hardest to break apart. I don't feel any muscle strength between them and the exercises seem almost moot, but I've only just started myself in an attempt to be able to do 4 note per string scales out of morbid curiosity what they would be like smile.gif

Good luck.

QUOTE (Artemus @ May 5 2010, 11:54 AM) *
Hey GMC folk!
So I've been giving my fingers some abuse lately and further to my previous thread, here, I come to you for yet more help, this time specifically regarding stretching the fretting hand fingers. If anyone has anymore suggestions for me for finger obliteration, please, please, please let me know in the aforementioned thread or here, or PM me.

Anyhow, my finger stretching/span isn't too bad. Apart from the first chord, I can comfortably reach all the chords in the Stretchminator lesson, and except for the last variation, I can manage all of John Petrucci's finger stretching exercises at the beginning of his Rock Discipline DVD all the way down the neck.

The reason I struggle with the last variation and what I'm looking for specific help with is the stretch between my middle and ring fingers. In comparison to the stretches I can achieve with the other fingers, they're my weakest. I think this is natural. The problem is that I don't know of any popular stretching exercises (like the Slinky, or Spider etc) that focus on these two fingers specifically.

At the moment, I practice stretching these troublesome fingers with legato practice; hammer-on and pull off between the two fingers with increasing interval distances. Legato 3-note per string diminshed arpeggios seem to help a little bit too. However, I'd love it anyone could offer any more exercises or ideas that I could try to improve this stretch. I know my fingers should be able to because my right hand can stretch no problem, but I'm not a lefty..

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I also try practicing the usual 3NPS scales using just my middle, ring, and pinky. In fact, although I can stretch that far, it's about the limit for my middle/ring stretch.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Artemus
May 5 2010, 08:44 PM
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ May 5 2010, 08:31 PM) *
I came up with a stretching exercise that I'm doing that might something of benefit to you. In John petrucci's warmups, he has a section on doing chromatic scales, that is 4 note per-string half steps. I do the same execercise starting at the 20th or so fret, but instead of chromatic scales, I do full steps, then work my way closer to the neck.

I agree that those two fingers are the hardest to break apart. I don't feel any muscle strength between them and the exercises seem almost moot, but I've only just started myself in an attempt to be able to do 4 note per string scales out of morbid curiosity what they would be like smile.gif

Good luck.

Fantastic suggestion! Now that you mention it, I did start looking at some 4NPS scales and they did wonders. I think I was tackling a harmonic minor or phrygian dominant scale. Excellent biggrin.gif I'm going to dig out my notes and get cracking and make a note of your suggestion.
Thanks biggrin.gif

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
May 6 2010, 06:35 PM
Instructor
Did you check this lesson?
}
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/stretchminator/

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Artemus
May 6 2010, 07:20 PM
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ May 6 2010, 06:35 PM) *

Yes, as I said originally - I can comfortably stretch to all except the first chord in that lesson, and that first chord stretches the index/middle fingers, not the middle/ring fingers, which is what I need.

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:52 AM