2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Learning The Fretboard?
Andrew6
Feb 28 2009, 04:53 AM
Learning Rock Star
hey guys, quick question... what would be the best way to go about learning the notes in relation to the fretboard? thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Rogue Electric Acoustic (CHEAP lol)

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Feb 28 2009, 05:20 AM
Instructor
The first thing is to learn the C major scale all the way on the fretboard.
Once you've mastered that scale keep transposing them. But in that process you have to be aware of the notes that you are playing, not only just playing positions. The best way to do that is to sing while practicing this stuff and sing with the note name C D E F G A B etc etc.
Another thing is to learn the concept of diagonals, you know that in the guitar (and every stringed instrument we have the same note in different strings) so if you learn to recognice these "diagonals" where all the same note is you have a real good placement in the neck.
Of course one of the things that should help you is to learn to read traditional notation, in that way you can relate the notes in the score to the ones that are in the neck.

I've made a lesson with all this stuff for this purpose but is not uploaded yet, I think soon it's comming smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Feb 28 2009, 05:28 AM
Instructor
For single notes you can start by learning the "drawings" for octave, this ay you can know three notes at the time, but I sugest you recognice them in relation with some chord structure you already know for example let´s say a C major chord on position 3rd with the barre we have from 5th do 1st string: C G C E G. If you don´t know intervals or just want the names of the notes for comping start from 6th to fourh string making chords with roots there, buy a set of 50 black cards, then write note names as randomly, mix them. then choose a string and keep all the notes in that string, take a card and press the note.
Another game, where is a B: 1string 7 fret, 2 string open, 3 string 4 freet, 5 string 2nd fret, 6 string 7th fret. (use numbers 17-20-34-52-67). Good luck.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 28 2009, 12:35 PM
Lets go fishing!

For me I purchased a fretboard trainer which uses a sit of drills for area training. It was alot of hard work but it was worth the time and money because it really ingraines the notes deep into your brain laugh.gif laugh.gif

Just another option to the many different ways of learning the fretboard smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Matt23
Feb 28 2009, 02:47 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
This program really helped me learn the notes on the fretboard. And it's free. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew6
Feb 28 2009, 04:21 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks for all the suggestions!

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Feb 28 2009, 10:48 PM
Instructor
You're welcome mate smile.gif

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to post them wink.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
sigma7
Feb 28 2009, 10:50 PM
GMC:er
What helps me first is knowing the cmajor scale across the low E string. Then after when learning the scales, I find pickout the root notes so i no where they lie as well

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Mar 1 2009, 12:05 AM
Instructor
Another sugestions I forgot, grab 20 bucks and get a sight reading book like the ones William Leavit have written, practice with them 30 minutes a day and it is like a miracle!!! (I know it is expensive but some times books are the answer....)

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Mar 1 2009, 12:42 AM
Jazz Instructor
First, you need to know diatonic scales, up and down the neck, 3-notes per string, played in one positions, then you need to play them through intervals, in different patterns, then through arpeggios. The more you practice, the more familiar you will be with fretboard, and you will also develop your ear. You must get to know the fretboard, to put it this way:)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 1 2009, 01:43 AM
Instructor
There are many methods to learn it, so it is up to you mate. I learned the notes by learning first the whole C major scale on the fretboard, and then just added those sharps and flats in between in time.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Mar 1 2009, 09:59 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Lots of good suggestion here, I still need to work on it aswell so I also say thanks biggrin.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Andrew6
Mar 1 2009, 10:06 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Mar 1 2009, 04:59 PM) *
Lots of good suggestion here, I still need to work on it aswell so I also say thanks biggrin.gif

Yeah there is! I am actualyl doing the one gerardo suggested with the cards!

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 1 2009, 11:00 PM
Instructor
Have you tried this website www.musictheory.net

If not give it a shoot it has great note and fretboard learning tools among other things (theory harmony and ear training !)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Blister
Jan 14 2013, 04:30 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I thought giving this thread a bump. There is a direct link to the game/exercise:

Fretboard Note Identification Game

I found it helpful, hope others might also. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jan 14 2013, 05:06 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Blister @ Jan 14 2013, 03:30 AM) *
I thought giving this thread a bump. There is a direct link to the game/exercise:

Fretboard Note Identification Game

I found it helpful, hope others might also. smile.gif

That is really useful. smile.gif Thanks for the link.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jan 14 2013, 10:16 AM
Learning Roadie
I have fretboard warrior on my iphone, it's also a download for pc and i think mac

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 14 2013, 11:16 AM
Theory Instructor
Yeah, I like to learn the notes of the C major scale to start with, C D E F G A B C, on one string at a time. So find them only on the 6th string and play them from memory, saying the notes out loud or to yourself to help get the names down.

Then do the same thing on the 5th string, 4th string etc until you have the C major scale memorized over the entire neck on one string at a time.

After that you can work your way around the cycle to cover the sharps and flats on the fretboard as well.

So repeat those exercises with the keys

C
F
Bb
Eb
Ab
Db
F#
B
E
A
D
G

It seems like a lot of work, but you'd be surprised how quickly you get the harder keys after working one or two out in the beginning.

Try it out, might be helpful.

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Spock
Jan 14 2013, 11:35 AM
GMC:er
Hey,

I am having the same issue, so I purchased these stickers. You can buy them online, Fret Daddy Stickers.

Figured it would get in my head sort of subconsciously.

Can't post an image in this thread but you can see the URL

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Mzc0WDI3OQ==/�...#33;~~60_35.JPG

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jan 14 2013, 11:47 AM
Learning Roadie
Beware the sticker don't just create a crutch.

I found I learnt the fretboard in two ways,

The Caged system really helped.

Breaking the fretboard down to what I already knew

I knew the open strings,5th fret, 7th fret and 12 fret because you use it to help tune the other open strings (excepting the cool.gif

So I worked on remembering the ones in between.

Octaves also help if you know your E and A string.

So my way was a mix of various methods because I did purposely set out to learn them, it just happened as I learnt and grew as a guitarist. I think where I am with music theory happened the same way.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:35 PM