Bends/vibrato [ 8 ] ** [8.08%]
Strumming [ 3 ] ** [3.03%]
Smashing your axe The Who style! [ 12 ] ** [12.12%]
Total Votes: 99
Guests cannot vote 
Pi38
Mar 27 2009, 02:43 PM
GMC:er
It's so fundamentally essential, yet, for me, it's alternate picking...I just can't seem to get a hang of it.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kjutte
Mar 27 2009, 03:31 PM
QUOTE (Artemus @ Mar 27 2009, 02:36 PM) *
That was an impressive display of technique! Thanks. I loved his bends and harmonics too!!

Yep. The composition is brilliant!

QUOTE (Pi38 @ Mar 27 2009, 02:43 PM) *
It's so fundamentally essential, yet, for me, it's alternate picking...I just can't seem to get a hang of it.

The only essential technique is bends and vibrato IMO

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Mar 27 2009, 06:51 PM
I voted smashing up your axe. You can practice getting good at everything else, but you have to have a really cold heart to be able to smash a guitar up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Mar 28 2009, 03:41 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I am not really great in sweeping, and I have to admit I never tried tapping with 8 fingers, but who knows, I might find it rather simple rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Frederik
Mar 28 2009, 03:54 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
voted guitar smash, have never tried 8 fingered tapping, but since i play piano i think it might be easy, guees sweeping is the hardest for me, can combine those patterens well, and i can include big shapes in my lead

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Mar 28 2009, 03:54 PM
I would have gone with string skipping

--------------------
Want a website for you or your band? http://www.websiteformyband.com

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 28 2009, 04:11 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Darfuria @ Mar 28 2009, 03:54 PM) *
I would have gone with string skipping

String skipping to me depends on which technique I am using. I can string skip using legato and tapping relatively easy. String skipping using AP....not so much. Everything that has anything to do with AP just KILLS me!! I'm working hard on it though!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Artemus
Mar 28 2009, 04:13 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
QUOTE (Frederik @ Mar 28 2009, 02:54 PM) *
voted guitar smash, have never tried 8 fingered tapping, but since i play piano i think it might be easy, guees sweeping is the hardest for me, can combine those patterens well, and i can include big shapes in my lead

Well I'm a classical piano teacher in my spare time and was once pretty good but I have trouble with 8 finger tapping because of the muting issue - since my palm is up off the fretboard I find it difficult to play cleanly. I'd say it takes a lot of concentrated effort and practise to pull off well.

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 28 2009, 04:24 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Artemus @ Mar 28 2009, 04:13 PM) *
Well I'm a classical piano teacher in my spare time and was once pretty good but I have trouble with 8 finger tapping because of the muting issue - since my palm is up off the fretboard I find it difficult to play cleanly. I'd say it takes a lot of concentrated effort and practise to pull off well.

I've never seen anybody do 8 finger tapping cleanly without using a dampner. Not saying it can't be done...I've just never seen it. I love tapping but to me 8 finger tapping seems like a lot of work for not a whole lot of payoff. I do a little tapping using my middle and ring finger but that is about a crazy as I get with tapping. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 28 2009, 04:28 PM
Instructor
for me it is 8 finger tapping because I never really practiced it that much. I remember I got Flight of The Bumblebee from Jenifer Batten pretty close with that technique. Maybe for a couple of months of practicing it wouldn't be that hard but for now that's what I am not good at.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
29a
Mar 30 2009, 09:13 AM
I voted for bends/vibrato. The other thing not on the list would be fast picking and string skipping without sweeping or legato techniques.

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 30 2009, 08:34 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I voted sweep picking, though 8 finger tapping would be up there.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 30 2009, 08:37 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Fran @ Mar 30 2009, 08:34 PM) *
I voted sweep picking, though 8 finger tapping would be up there.

I find sweeping relatively easy if you are staying in one position. Not so easy when you are shifting all around the neck connecting different shapes. 'sigh'.....another thing to work on. tongue.gif

Seems like a lot of people are choosing 8 finger tapping. I love tapping but have never felt the urge to use/learn 8 finger tapping. Go figure. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Artemus
Apr 6 2009, 10:45 AM
So, as it stands, it's officially tapping (in all forms) that is the most difficult technique.
I feel much better about my lack of tapping skills now. I'm currently struggling with string-skipping alternate picking but since that's ranked third (close second) at the moment, I can feel better about that too smile.gif

Actually.. I think all of these technique can be very difficult at the top levels. I should have put another option there "All of the above"

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 6 2009, 01:45 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
8 finger tapping for me, especially if done on bass smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Artemus
Apr 6 2009, 01:53 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Apr 6 2009, 01:45 PM) *
8 finger tapping for me, especially if done on bass smile.gif

Ah yes, Stu Hamm's version of Moonlight Sonata comes to mind..

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 10 2009, 11:42 PM
GMC Founder
I voted vibrato because it's a technique that's not so obvious to practice - for all the other techniques it's just a matter of playing it over and over to a metronome (well maybe whammy bar and smashing guitar excepted!)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Artemus
Apr 11 2009, 01:57 AM
Wow. Smashing your guitar to a metronome laugh.gif
Hey, d'you think I could get upto 200bpm, smashing in sixteenth note triplets? It'd look like a Benny Hill sketch in fast forward

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Apr 11 2009, 02:46 AM
Experienced Rock Star
Voted, probably 8 finger tapping is really hard to master ohmy.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
qoody
Apr 11 2009, 04:12 AM
Never thought of smashing guitar as a playing technique smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:01 PM