Thoughts On The New Cynic Record?
SindreD
Feb 19 2014, 02:40 PM
GMC:er
Cynic used to be one of my all-time favorite bands. Their debut, Focus, was the album that really changed my life and got me out of the whole simplistic riff-based metal I was listening to at the time, and got me into Jazz/Fusion/Prog. Their blend of Death Metal and Jazz Fusion is still to this day one of the most awesome things I've ever heard.

Traced in Air from 2008 shifted more towards progressive rock, but still retaining that old-school Cynic vibe. I loved it! But this new album, entitled "Kindly Bent to Free Us", is completely different.

I don't really know how to feel about this one. I know that Paul Masvidal is a very spiritual person and will do exactly what he feels, but I'm afraid to say I think the old Cynic is too far gone. I'm kind of speechless, as I don't really know if I like it or not. Here's the title track, tell me what you guys think of it! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 19 2014, 11:48 PM
GMC:er
I hear ya!! smile.gif Early Cynic (among other like early Atheist, etc.) was truly groundbreaking music. They were among the first to invent "Death Jazz" which was simply unkown at the time and much copied since. Setting the bar that high can be a burden to bands as they evolve. How to you beat the "lightning in a bottle" record without being compared directly to yourself and found wanting.

The approach Cynic have taken to this problem seems to be to simply embrace experimentation and intentionally try to sound nothing like previous records. I applaud their efforts and appreciate the music but I'd be lying if I said I"m glad they didn't play anything that sounded liked old Cynic."

Music, like everything, has to either EVOLVE OR DIE and I"m glad they are evolving. At the same time, it would be nice if they threw a bone to their fans and had a few songs that were expanding on ideas from earlier work.

I just made a huge post about how bands can't change because fans won't let them and it's starting to stifle the Metal scene. And here I am saying "yeah I liked the old stuff". I really think a band can do a bit both and be taken seriously. It's the point on the record where those songs diverge that's important. It can't be half and half, needs to make a logical progression. This would allow fans to start with something familiar and move towards something new and exciting.

Todd

[

quote name='SindreD' date='Feb 19 2014, 08:40 AM' post='675358']
Cynic used to be one of my all-time favorite bands. Their debut, Focus, was the album that really changed my life and got me out of the whole simplistic riff-based metal I was listening to at the time, and got me into Jazz/Fusion/Prog. Their blend of Death Metal and Jazz Fusion is still to this day one of the most awesome things I've ever heard.

Traced in Air from 2008 shifted more towards progressive rock, but still retaining that old-school Cynic vibe. I loved it! But this new album, entitled "Kindly Bent to Free Us", is completely different.

I don't really know how to feel about this one. I know that Paul Masvidal is a very spiritual person and will do exactly what he feels, but I'm afraid to say I think the old Cynic is too far gone. I'm kind of speechless, as I don't really know if I like it or not. Here's the title track, tell me what you guys think of it! smile.gif

[/quote]

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:31 PM