Lesson Request
guitargod
May 13 2007, 01:43 PM
GMC:er
Can we have a lesson solely on improvisation?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
live everyday of your life like its your last n treasure everything and everyone around you to the fullest!!!
max life!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 13 2007, 02:52 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (guitargod @ May 13 2007, 08:43 AM) *

If you can teach it in a lesson its not improvisation smile.gif

Sorry, not trying to be flip but the art of improvisation devolves from practice, practice and practice, recycling of licks you have learnt and knowledge of scales, there isn't a magic "this is how you do it" technique that everyone has been holding out on you laugh.gif

There are certainly guidelines, but at the end it has to come from you and from intense training, and practice of improvisation. By that I mean put away all of your tabs, pick a backing track, download it, or play some chords of your own, and spend an hour trying to play something good to it. Repeat every day for a year or two, and voila!

I would say the single best way to do this would be to start with 12 bar blues and the pentatonic scale - that's how I started.

Maybe one of our instrutors could put together some guidelines around this, and maybe that is what you are after, but at the end, it is all down to you!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: May 13 2007, 02:52 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Suib
May 13 2007, 03:40 PM
I hear everybody talking about this 12-bar blues, but never really knew what it was. Could someone please explain it to me?

--------------------
"THAT ONE GUITAR!!!" - Foriegner

+Quote Post
Robin
May 13 2007, 03:43 PM
Check out ALL the blues lessons, Blues licks 1/2/3, Kris' Hot Blues Licks lesson(or something like that) and Kris' 1on1 pentatonic lessons 1/2/3. Before I started on these lessons I couldnt improvise at all, now, 3-4 months later I can improvise blues/rock solos fast and with alot of cool variations and licks. Some licks I've "stolen" from GMC and just mixed alittle on them and I also have made many of my own, but without GMC I wouldnt be able to do that. I dont even have to think at all when I improvise, I can watch TV or whatever tongue.gif
I hope it doesnt sound like I'm just a pretensious bragger, but actually I'm just bragging about how good GMC is laugh.gif
Just go trough all these lessons, unless of course you arent interested in rock/blues at all... tongue.gif

Good luck.

+Quote Post
Suib
May 13 2007, 03:45 PM
What section is the hot blues lesson in?

--------------------
"THAT ONE GUITAR!!!" - Foriegner

+Quote Post
Robin
May 13 2007, 03:51 PM
QUOTE (Suib @ May 13 2007, 02:40 PM) *
I hear everybody talking about this 12-bar blues, but never really knew what it was. Could someone please explain it to me?

Watch these videos:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mjTztfsJxCQ
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1AIIY5mWxhw
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TuUl-vaIO08
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GFIrAAWDBRU
http://youtube.com/watch?v=h86Ume4qE24

These are awesome, really good teacher, and its all 100% free smile.gif

QUOTE (Suib @ May 13 2007, 02:45 PM) *
What section is the hot blues lesson in?

Solo lessons.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
May 13 2007, 11:49 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (guitargod @ May 13 2007, 01:43 PM) *

If you do Kris's Pentatonic position shifting lessons 1,2 & 3 it will put you on the correct track to improvising! He gives you to tools to move around the fretboard in key and some great idea on licks. Kris's ideas are very clear and easy to start useing straight away.

For the firs couple months i was just learning the scales, then i started slowley moveing between the boxes more fluid. Then once i knew the boxes off by heart licks just started to happen because you dont spend you time worrying about where your going and you loosen up and have fun!!!

Hope this helps.

This post has been edited by mattacuk: May 13 2007, 11:51 PM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
May 14 2007, 07:27 PM
Get to da Chopper!
if people are having trouble with improv, then might i suggest one of the more experienced members putting up an article in the forum that states what you need to do before you can improvise, different things to keep in mind whilst improvising, any keys that are perhaps easier to solo in, the number of licks you need in you "collection", what to improvise over etc etc etc.....

Perhaps im not one of the best people to ask tho....

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:28 PM