> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

10 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 >  
Adam M's Thread, for Gab's Army
Adam
Sep 21 2019, 09:48 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 21 2019, 06:16 PM) *
Great! Could you please make a list here with all the GMC lessons that you've worked and the current status?

Of course! It's actually the same list you have posted in the first post of the thread. I've done 2 attempts at Picking Hand Basics, 1 attempt at Neoclassical Solo and currently I'm working on Picking Hand Basics and Vibrato lessons. I've only passed the Neoclassical lesson but there was a lot of feedback and room for improvement in the REC thread, so I'm going to re-try it when I improve my vibrato at least.

As for the other lessons, the non-technical ones, if I have some extra time I try to take a while and play one of these chosen at random but it's nothing I could submit for REC or here. I still need some more time

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Adam: Sep 21 2019, 10:24 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adam
Sep 22 2019, 08:27 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi! Here is my cover of HIM, take one. I know I missed a few strokes and got the timing wrong in few cases but this is me playing blindly over the real song, with no tabs on screen to follow. I know I need more time practicing this song but I thought I'd share anyway. How does this look, besides the mistakes I've listed above?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 23 2019, 02:51 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam! Thanks for the list. I thought that we had more lessons. So please remind me every time that we need to update that list.

I've checked your take on Him's song. The first thing that I note is that your guitar is not well tuned. Besides this, you are on the right track with it, you just need to focus more on the sound of your palm muting, and making timing more precise.

I would like to suggest this lessons for the next days:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Land-Of-Legato/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Basic-Rock-Rhythm-2/

What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Adam
Sep 23 2019, 03:53 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 23 2019, 02:51 PM) *
Hi Adam! Thanks for the list. I thought that we had more lessons. So please remind me every time that we need to update that list.

I've checked your take on Him's song. The first thing that I note is that your guitar is not well tuned. Besides this, you are on the right track with it, you just need to focus more on the sound of your palm muting, and making timing more precise.

I would like to suggest this lessons for the next days:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Land-Of-Legato/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Basic-Rock-Rhythm-2/

What do you think?

I too thought we had more lessons. Speaking of which, the two you suggested are cool and I'll be happy to add them to my practice list!

As for the tuning, I should have made sure it is tuned properly just before recording but I have been playing for about two hours on that day and I simply forgot about it.

I really like how Ben has managed to make technical lessons and yet make them all melodic and pleasant to do! I noticed his vibrato is legendary even here at GMC smile.gif

Should I keep practicing the HIM song every day even if just for a while or should I save it for later when I'm done with the lessons?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 24 2019, 01:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam @ Sep 23 2019, 11:53 AM) *
Should I keep practicing the HIM song every day even if just for a while or should I save it for later when I'm done with the lessons?

Sure! Keep me updated mate! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Sep 25 2019, 10:29 PM
Learning Roadie
I did an attempt on these two lessons just to see and it will take some time, of course, but I can manage it. Could you add these to the list?

I had some more time for playing today but I wanted to do something else for a change and I revisited MF style bending lesson by Ben. I tried practicing chromatic bends by a half-step from outside the scale. No backing track, so I can hear if I'm hitting the correct pitch and so I can just get used to this concept. It was definitely something different than what I usually do but I can already tell: I absolutely love how big of a change it makes, even in my slow and careful playing. smile.gif I'll definitely keep coming back to this from time to time and add it to my technique arsenal! Bending up by 3 semi-tones sounds really fun!

This post has been edited by Adam: Sep 26 2019, 12:12 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 26 2019, 02:39 PM
Instructor
Added!! Great job working on bending like MF! This is a very cool element to add into your phrasing, but it's also a great way to train your ear and technique. Keep going!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Oct 4 2019, 10:33 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 26 2019, 02:39 PM) *
Added!! Great job working on bending like MF! This is a very cool element to add into your phrasing, but it's also a great way to train your ear and technique. Keep going!

Thank you! This is a fun challenge and I will work hard to master this technique!

I have recorded a video of Picking Hand Lesson but I was in a hurry before going to work, so I will post it when I get back home. I did my very best to focus on relaxing both my hands as much as I could to minimize the right hand movements and also on accenting the first note of each group. With this, the lesson's difficulty has increased up to 6-7 in my head.
I made a point for myself to continue improving on each lesson I tackle until my take gets rated 10/10. The more takes I do, the more fluent I get at playing any lesson, so after clearing the basic requirements, it will be easier to focus on new elements in it, so I can get the most out of it. Being rated under 10 means there is a room for improvement and learning.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 7 2019, 03:02 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam! I agree with this but I would only keep the lessons that you enjoy practicing. If you get bored of a lesson that didn't reach 10 level you can go for another one. Reaching a 8 or 9 grade sometimes can be enough. But it's great to put high goals, go for it!

I'll wait for your picking lesson take! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Oct 7 2019, 06:14 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 7 2019, 03:02 PM) *
Hi Adam! I agree with this but I would only keep the lessons that you enjoy practicing. If you get bored of a lesson that didn't reach 10 level you can go for another one. Reaching a 8 or 9 grade sometimes can be enough. But it's great to put high goals, go for it!

I'll wait for your picking lesson take! wink.gif

I was thinking to do just like you say, having a few lessons that I practice but as I keep playing, I improve and it's always worth to revisit an old lesson with new abilities and see how much I improved, just like you requested that I revisit the Neoclassical Solo smile.gif

I have been practicing my MF bends but I also discovered MF's Introduction and Scenes albums and I am enchanted by them both! I see there are lessons for both Eras at GMC but I will stick with my current plan for now.

In my recent REC thread I was suggested to work on accenting the notes and relaxing my both hands (I DM'd Kris about some details and he has been thinking about recording a lesson about that!) I found this lesson:https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Tightness_Etude/ and I think it's a good one to practice accenting, relaxation and minimizing the picking hand movement. Could you add it to our list on the front page?

I will try to record a fresh take for the Picking Hand lesson because the video file for my previous one turned out to be corrupted and wouldn't open.

Here is my today's video. It's not what I would like it to be but I hope it's an improvement since the last take.

This post has been edited by Adam: Oct 8 2019, 12:44 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 8 2019, 02:58 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam, thanks for the video!

I can see that you are getting more comfortable but there is still work to do in order to improve both dynamics and hands relaxation. The lesson includes different rhythms and speeds so it can be helpful to isolate each rhythm and work on it at a comfortable tempo with metronome to polish dynamics, and then play the whole thing again.

I think that Lian's tightness lesson is a very good choice for you since it's close to "Picking hand basics" so I'll will add it to the list now!

Keep on the good job mate!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Oct 21 2019, 11:37 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 8 2019, 02:58 PM) *
Hi Adam, thanks for the video!

I can see that you are getting more comfortable but there is still work to do in order to improve both dynamics and hands relaxation. The lesson includes different rhythms and speeds so it can be helpful to isolate each rhythm and work on it at a comfortable tempo with metronome to polish dynamics, and then play the whole thing again.

I think that Lian's tightness lesson is a very good choice for you since it's close to "Picking hand basics" so I'll will add it to the list now!

Keep on the good job mate!

Hi!

I'm starting to hit the notes subconsciously, that's how much time I've spend playing this lesson, but thanks to that I can now focus on the lesson's essentials. Isolating the tempos is a great idea and seems to be just what I needed to move on!

I've also been practicing "Friedman" bends and I'm absolutely loving it! Not only did the out-of-scale element make playing interesting but I'm also memorizing the fretboard a bit better thanks to it. I think my vibrato got stronger by just using that MF technique. Before I knew it, I absorbed it into my arsenal and I'm having so much fun doing it, that it's probably illegal! I practice this whenever I get a chance to throw that into just anything. I just shoot 2 videos for Todd's Quick Licks where I use it. I'm still a bit uncomfortable with the low and high E string bending or vibrato (because they are at the edge of the fretboard) but I really made a lot of progress smile.gif I'll share the videos here as well:

This post has been edited by Adam: Oct 21 2019, 11:39 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 23 2019, 01:22 AM
Instructor
Hi Adam!!

Those videos are very impressive!! You playing sounds very good mate. Congrats on your great job with Todd!! smile.gif

The only thing that I would like to suggest is to try to keep your left hand fingers closer to the fret board when playing the second lick. Notice how the right hand fingers movement is not small there. Fixing this will help you with future and faster licks.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 7 2019, 07:53 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 23 2019, 02:22 AM) *
Hi Adam!!

Those videos are very impressive!! You playing sounds very good mate. Congrats on your great job with Todd!! smile.gif

The only thing that I would like to suggest is to try to keep your left hand fingers closer to the fret board when playing the second lick. Notice how the right hand fingers movement is not small there. Fixing this will help you with future and faster licks.

I finally got my master's degree and it doesn't change my life one bit but I'm extremely happy it's finally over! It's a huge weight off my shoulder. And I picked up my new guitar from a luthier today, so you might see it in my future Collab takes and lessons smile.gif
I bought it some time ago but it needed a proper set-up and I was on a tight budget back then. He also re-wired it for me, like those 2-humbucker Ibby's are (with a 5-way switch). I'll try recording a demo because it's well worth it!

I also would like to ask if you could help me learn one tune from AI: Somnium Files. It sounds simple but I don't have experience tabbing things by myself. I've managed to get the first two bars already but this scale is weird, none that I'm used to or it uses notes from outside a scale.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 8 2019, 02:42 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam!! Congrats mate!! I know that you worked/studied a lot to get it!! Well deserved!! smile.gif

Let's get back to practice!

I'm checking that song and yes, it combines different concepts so it mixes at least 4 minor scales: Aeolian, Harmonic Minor, Locrian and Blues Scale.

The first part's progression is:

Bm - F# - Bm - F
Bm - F# - Bm - F#
Em - F# - Em - F#
G - F# - G - F#

The scale use over Bm is B minor (aeolian), then they switch to B harmonic minor over F#. The chord F appears as a modal interchange and the scale there is B locrian. Then, over the passage Em - F#, the scale is again harmonic minor, as well as over G and F#, but they also uses a chromatic passage that adds the b5 (blue note).

Does it make sense?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 15 2019, 06:54 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 8 2019, 03:42 PM) *
Hi Adam!! Congrats mate!! I know that you worked/studied a lot to get it!! Well deserved!! smile.gif

Let's get back to practice!

I'm checking that song and yes, it combines different concepts so it mixes at least 4 minor scales: Aeolian, Harmonic Minor, Locrian and Blues Scale.

The first part's progression is:

Bm - F# - Bm - F
Bm - F# - Bm - F#
Em - F# - Em - F#
G - F# - G - F#

The scale use over Bm is B minor (aeolian), then they switch to B harmonic minor over F#. The chord F appears as a modal interchange and the scale there is B locrian. Then, over the passage Em - F#, the scale is again harmonic minor, as well as over G and F#, but they also uses a chromatic passage that adds the b5 (blue note).

Does it make sense?

Thank you!

It makes a lot of sense the way you analyzed it. I have yet to learn how transitioning between modes and scales works. The way I tried it was taking out the notes and I got a Japanese scale with one extra note which made me realize it's more complex than that smile.gif A Japanese scale makes sense, because it's a theme of Yakuza, but as I learned, this can be achieved by using multiple modes as well.

I've been getting comfortable with these scales and keys (I tried soloing over G and F# backing tracks for some time because I rarely use these keys and I wanted my ears to get familiar with them.

It will take some time but I feel I'm making progress.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 16 2019, 09:55 PM
Instructor
That’s interesting! I’ve never learned that japanese scale. I wonder if it’s cover in our Exotic Scales series, have you seen them?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 24 2019, 06:50 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 16 2019, 10:55 PM) *
That’s interesting! I’ve never learned that japanese scale. I wonder if it’s cover in our Exotic Scales series, have you seen them?

I'm sorry for the late reply! I was certain I posted it already!

I noticed Hirajoshi scale got more attention, as far as lessons at GMC are concerned but I took some time and analyzed both and got some interesting information.

Hirajoshi and Kumoi/Japanese scales have both the same sounds. One is a mode of the other, starting at the fifth (interval) of the other, Hirajoshi being the main scale, if I remember correctly. Aeolian starts from the sixth of Ionian mode, so that's one difference.

Japanese music conceptions describe one as Male and the other as Female, I think Kumoi was the Male one. That is probably a thing born from dualism philosophy, like Yin-Yang.
There's not so much of Golden Ratio and Eastern music is a bit more asymmetric. Probably this is why their scales don't use regular trichords.

They don't really have a 7-step scales like we do, but I'm curious what kind of tetrachords they would use if they did. But traditional Japanese instruments are Koto and Shamisen, the latter has only three strings, so they wouldn't be able to use Western scales to the fullest with that.

Hirajoshi and its mode, Kumoi, can be derived from Natural Minor scale, just like Pentatonics. It's interesting how the Japanese don't include sub-dominant ((IV) and sub-tonic (VII). Western music pays more attention to sub-dominant, but as I said, Western conception loves symmetry.

With that said, you can use Minor Pentatonics where you can use Aeolian mode. Should I assume it's the same for Hirajoshi and Kumoi scales? I suppose the chord progression would have to meet some conditions but I'll try playing those over some Aeolian backing tracks when I get back from work smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 25 2019, 02:42 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam! Interesting stuff here!!

I know both scales because it was said that Marty Friedman used these scales. That’s why I think they became popular among shredders. I tried them a bit but never went too deep so your post really taught me. 😊

Keep on experimenting with new scales.

On a side note, have you ever heard Steve Vai’s Alive in an Ultra World?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Jun 27 2020, 09:13 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 25 2019, 03:42 PM) *
On a side note, have you ever heard Steve Vai’s Alive in an Ultra World?

I'm not a big fan of non-instrumental music but that song is pretty good.

I have a question about HIM style lesson: Do I need to upload a video for each track if I can't put multiple videos in one screen? I will probably be ready to post the rhythm part (palm muted with distortion) soon.
I've been through a lot for past weeks and I barely could grab the guitar and do daily 15 minutes of exercise but I think I'm getting comfortable enough to record a take on HIM lesson for evaluation.

--------------------

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:50 AM