Sunday Improv, Blues anyone...?
TesttubeMammoth
Oct 3 2011, 08:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey guys,

I did a blues improvisation this weekend, I am trying to record one a week to track my progress.
This is the first one I have recorded with a video camera so pressure was on a bit!

I tried to incorporate some modes in this one which is a bit new.

So I thought I would share - hope you like! (by the way, I messed up the end pretty badly so brace yourself for it):

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by TesttubeMammoth: Oct 3 2011, 08:56 PM

--------------------
be excellent to each other
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Frederik
Oct 3 2011, 10:19 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
To my liking you should play less, and connect phrases better, to get some flow and feeling. Might be hard, with such a good technique

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Oct 3 2011, 10:35 PM
GMC:er
i agree with frederik, also i would point out. the fact that sometimes, at less to my ears, you land in "unwanted notes" on end of some licks, try to find the strongs notes!

and don't forget "less is more ;D"

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Oct 4 2011, 06:29 AM
Instructor
Good take!

Try limiting yourself to only using 3 notes from the scale and no more!

In this style you should use less gain in the tone.

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
TesttubeMammoth
Oct 4 2011, 08:13 AM
Learning Rock Star
Argh! You're comments! They burn!

Only joking wink.gif - this sort of thing is really usefull to me. I showed this video to Siniesa in chat and he asked me, "Why are you playing a minor scale over a major chord progression?". Good point.

QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Oct 4 2011, 06:29 AM) *
Good take!
Try limiting yourself to only using 3 notes from the scale and no more!
In this style you should use less gain in the tone.

I am interested in this three notes from the scale thing. Why would I do this? Do you have any examples?
Also I was probably using my most high gain yngwie tone so perhaps not the best fitting for blues.

I really appreciate your comments guys, hopefully I can use some of these ideas to improve the next one.

Frankie.

This post has been edited by TesttubeMammoth: Oct 4 2011, 08:14 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Oct 4 2011, 04:15 PM
Instructor
Hey frankie, you are getting there man, i know that is hard to improvise after you push the REC button.
On this kind of blues, you can go from the blues scale, to the minor penta to the major penta, even so, you should focus a bit more on the melody and less on what to play, check how SRV did it, he had an incredible technique but he used to play just a few notes.

For the tone, you should take the gain down a bit, well, that's if you want to sound classic in blues, but there is NO rule for tone or music, so if you dig it and have a concept in your mind, GO FOR IT.

I would like to see more of your improvs, and you want, drop by my video chat, i do them every wednesday at 10pm GMT, we can talk some blues smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
TesttubeMammoth
Oct 4 2011, 08:09 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Oct 4 2011, 04:15 PM) *
Hey frankie, you are getting there man, i know that is hard to improvise after you push the REC button.
On this kind of blues, you can go from the blues scale, to the minor penta to the major penta, even so, you should focus a bit more on the melody and less on what to play, check how SRV did it, he had an incredible technique but he used to play just a few notes.

For the tone, you should take the gain down a bit, well, that's if you want to sound classic in blues, but there is NO rule for tone or music, so if you dig it and have a concept in your mind, GO FOR IT.

I would like to see more of your improvs, and you want, drop by my video chat, i do them every wednesday at 10pm GMT, we can talk some blues smile.gif

Cool thanks, will do!

--------------------

+Quote Post
rhoads
Oct 4 2011, 09:53 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MKzeSnHQ1s...player_embedded

It's on GMC main homepage also. It helped me a lot.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 5 2011, 07:42 PM
Instructor
Well, it sounds good, you seem to use pentatonic scale and know some cool blues licks, you often finish them on nice notes too. I think the tone is OK, but not very bluesy IMHO. But, it is very good! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:19 AM