Not Satisfied Of My Sound, POD 2.0
Keilnoth
Aug 24 2009, 10:55 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hey guys,

I own a POD 2.0 and I plug my Ibanez RG in it and directly in my computer. I created one or two cool classic sounds with that configuration but when I am trying to get something more Hendrix, or Bluesy, I am completely unable to setup a good configuration on my POD.

Do you guys have some advice on how I should use my POD ? Or perhaps, do you have some advices on what amp, what cab and what effects give what sort of sound ?

For example, I am trying to get tones for those lessons :

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/blues-licks3/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/finger...-solo-beginner/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/blue-note-in-a/

What should I use ? A Marshall, Soldano, Fender ? 1x8, 1x12 or 4x12 cabs ?

Help me get something good out of my POD ! smile.gif

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 16)
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 25 2009, 01:18 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
When trying to emulate a certain artist sound, you should look up which gear he uses...There are online resources with gear lists etc for different guitarists. There you will find which amp he uses, guitar etc and then you should try to use the same on POD to emulate that sound. But that is just a rough guideline, you will have to use your ears to compare two tones (his and yours) in search for something similar. Its really hard to give such advices online as its just a matter of lots and lots of tweaking around smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Aug 25 2009, 02:07 AM
GMC:er
Looks for some presets. There are tons of them that you can download. Then, set up your sound from the presets. It should be easier

+Quote Post
axes
Aug 25 2009, 02:22 AM
I've gone through this a million times with all my multi-effects (and with Pod Farm lately). My advice is pretty simple. Imagine that your POD is a room full of gear. What would you do in a room like this first? You'd probably want to find an amp that sounds like the tone you have in your head. You go to the amp heads, one by one, put them on a cab, and try them out. Once you've found the one you are satisfied with, you try different cabs with it, and eventually find the one that sounds the best with the head. Then you tweak the amp until it sounds real good. Ok, what's the next step? You go to the section in the room where the pedals are held. You would obviously need a reverb and/or a delay if you don't want a completly dry tone, so your next step would be getting those set up. Once it's done, you can get the special stompboxes you would need for your tone (like phaser, flanger, chorus etc.), and then you're done, and you're just to play and enjoy your tone. Okay, I'm sure I've simplified it a little bit, but this is the way you should approach the POD.

About the tones. You've menitoned a blues tone, what usually cries out for a Marshall. I never was really satisified with the Marshall in Line 6's modeling, the modeled Marshalls are usually very fuzzy and don't have that growl that Marshalls have in real life. My experience with Line 6 is that you usually get the best sounds from high-gain amps, where you just have to turn down the gain by a reasonable amount to get a bluesy type of tone and gain. But this doesn't mean you shouldn't try out the Marshalls, or that you shouldn't use them. All in all, your ear is the deciding factor. Go with whatever you like, don't be afraid to do unusal things (I mean, in real life you'd rarely turn a mid bass or high pot all the way down or up, but with a POD, it really can enhance a tone if you turn the mids all the way down or up etc.) and most importantly, be patient. You need time to get to know your stuff well, but this only works if you expend enough time on tweaking it. Good luck, hope I could help smile.gif

This post has been edited by axes: Aug 25 2009, 02:24 AM

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Aug 25 2009, 02:29 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Maybe this will help you get on the right track. wink.gif

Usually I'll download a tone from one of these links and try and tweak it to my taste. Your guitar and the pickups make a difference so you're going to have to play with things and train your ear to guide you with your adjustments with the EQ. I'll give you one hint though, less is more and records better. Also play with the MIC's and the distance they are from the cabinet. This can make a big difference! smile.gif

http://www.instituteofnoise.com/L6/filesearch.asp

http://line6.com/customtone/

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Aug 25 2009, 02:31 AM

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Aug 25 2009, 05:29 AM
i think the sound you are looking for is that warmth you get with a cranked up tube amp,

something that is really heard to get with a POD

keep trying, im sure you will find something

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
iamblackmo
Aug 25 2009, 07:32 AM
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Aug 24 2009, 05:55 PM) *
Hey guys,

I own a POD 2.0 and I plug my Ibanez RG in it and directly in my computer. I created one or two cool classic sounds with that configuration but when I am trying to get something more Hendrix, or Bluesy, I am completely unable to setup a good configuration on my POD.

Do you guys have some advice on how I should use my POD ? Or perhaps, do you have some advices on what amp, what cab and what effects give what sort of sound ?

For example, I am trying to get tones for those lessons :

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/blues-licks3/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/finger...-solo-beginner/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/blue-note-in-a/

What should I use ? A Marshall, Soldano, Fender ? 1x8, 1x12 or 4x12 cabs ?

Help me get something good out of my POD ! smile.gif

Thanks

I only saw the Hendrix portion of your post.

I know my flextone II has a "Fuzz" modeling, which emulates the vintage Fuzz Face and there is nothing more Hendrix than that.

Also, what ever the Fender Bluesman, i think, is on a line 6

QUOTE (iamblackmo @ Aug 25 2009, 02:30 AM) *
I only saw the Hendrix portion of your post.

I know my flextone II has a "Fuzz" modeling, which emulates the vintage Fuzz Face and there is nothing more Hendrix than that.

Also, what ever the Fender Bluesman, i think, is on a line 6

For blues I use a Brit High Gain and ratchet down the gain and use dynamics and my tone pots to control my the grit of the sound. Also, the Plexi and the Blackpanel are fun too but with Line 6 it is all about customizing.

+Quote Post
Staffy
Aug 25 2009, 07:48 AM
Learning Tone Master
I never been able to get any emulator beat the real stuff. They are nice for recording something fast & simple, but nothing beats a Marshall or Fender in a good room (VERY important) on high volume when the push comes to shove.

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 25 2009, 08:45 AM
Lets go fishing!

Im useless with sound shaping (I started a similair thread to this myself). In the end I downloaded some patches of the Racer X forum, they were decent enough for me to use them for practice etc.

Check out youtube for pod tutorials, and hunt around online for patches like I did.

Im not overly impressed with my Line 6 Pod though, I cant wait untill I can afford a real high gain amp smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Aug 25 2009, 08:51 AM
All of the amps work as heads in podfarm. This means the blackface 'lux (fender 64 deluxe model) works as a head but is, by default, attached to a 1x12 cab. Swap that for a 4x12 78 brit celest cab, adjust the room & test mics and you've got a warm tone right out of the box.

For medium gain blues, you just need that plus one of the spring reverbs. So far everything mentioned here comes with podfarm by default, no additional addon packs needed. For the hendrix tone, there's a "facial fuzz" (fuzz face) stomp that's fine but you don't want to go dropping that sucker in front of an amp that's already set to high gain.

Now, before we go blaming our modeling software for our own screwups... did anyone ask about your pickups? The difference in output levels between instruments means that I would adjust gain & volume levels differently for my HSS guitar than I would for my HH guitar.

Also, something in our home causes my humbuckers to hum. I have to turn the noise gate up higher than most other folks would.

This post has been edited by jafomatic: Aug 25 2009, 08:52 AM

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Aug 25 2009, 10:25 AM
Thank you all for your answers.

I absolutely don't use POD Farm though. Only a hardware POD 2.0 plugged in my Creative external box.

Perhaps I need to do a lot more tweaking as you said axes. But yeah, I am not a sound engineer and pretty much a beginner so it takes me a lot of time to get a warm sound. smile.gif

As I said, I don't even know what's the difference between a 1x8 and a 4x12 cab. tongue.gif

I have a Peavey amp but I currently don't use it because I only play guitar through my PC. Perhaps my hardware is bad and I won't be able to get any good sound out of it ?

I would prefer not having to buy any new software or hardware to get my sounds because I don't want to buy something I don't need and I don't know what I need. smile.gif

About my pickup, ah well, not sure what they are. I don't even know if my guitar is lead or not. And absolutely don't know what's the difference between a lead or blues or rock guitar... Ahah! tongue.gif

I don't know what difference between two pickup and cannot mention two different pickup brand...

Well, you see the problem ? Do you have some good address on where I can get some documentation about guitar and sound and guitar sound and amp and cabs ? Or do I need to try them all ? smile.gif

--------------------

My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Aug 25 2009, 11:16 AM
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Aug 25 2009, 04:25 AM) *
As I said, I don't even know what's the difference between a 1x8 and a 4x12 cab. tongue.gif

1x and 4x are the number of speaker cones. the number on the right is the diameter in inches. So compare just the pictures in your mind between a 1x8 (small 15w solidstate combo amp) compared to a big 4x12 extension cabinet driven by a 100w tube amp head.

I have a Peavey amp but I currently don't use it because I only play guitar through my PC. Perhaps my hardware is bad and I won't be able to get any good sound out of it ?

Headphones straight from the pod will answer that smile.gif

I would prefer not having to buy any new software or hardware to get my sounds because I don't want to buy something I don't need and I don't know what I need. smile.gif

I don't think you will need to buy more stuff. Ultimately that choice is up to you. I personally don't think you need to buy more stuff.

About my pickup, ah well, not sure what they are. I don't even know if my guitar is lead or not. And absolutely don't know what's the difference between a lead or blues or rock guitar... Ahah! tongue.gif

I don't know what difference between two pickup and cannot mention two different pickup brand...

Well, you see the problem ? Do you have some good address on where I can get some documentation about guitar and sound and guitar sound and amp and cabs ? Or do I need to try them all ? smile.gif

Just asking for the basics:
- number of coils, H stands for humbucker, and that's 2 coils. S stands for single, and it is one coil.
- which position you chose for the selector switch

The only reason we might care what brand you have is if they're those EMG active pickups that (from what I've read here) may not be the best choice for this type of sound you're looking for. Beyond that, I don't the brand is going to matter nearly as much as where the pickup is mounted in your guitar smile.gif

If I want warmth, I use the neck (or neck+middle) pickup.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Oct 15 2009, 12:17 PM
Here are the details of all my stuff. Please note that I am not a metal shredder or hell. I am probably more in the blues, jazz, rock ballad with nice, clean-but-not-that-clean sound with a little bit of disto/delay/reverb. I am looking more for a deep, overwhelming, warm sound but still with some screaming abilities on lead and solo parts.

On one side :

- Ibanez RG270 with standard pickups
- Create Sound Blaster Platinium Ex with external box
- Logitech Speakers with a Subwoofer
- POD 2.0

The guitar is plugged into my POD 2.0 and the POD 2.0 into the Sound Blaster external box. I am still not really satisfied with the sound. I tried many presets but the sound is still not really warm and heavy.

I could probably upgrade everything from my pickups to my speaker. Where do you think I should start ? What is the worst hardware I currently own ? smile.gif

On the other side, I have this :

- Peavey Bandit 112
- Boss Loop Box RC20 (we don't really care, I know wink.gif)

The sound of the Bandit is pretty good for me. With some presets on the clean and distorded sound, it always sounds good. But I am not really using it as I am playing on my computer and not doing any live on stage or whatever.

I have to try to play with my headphone directly in the POD and with the POD on the amp a little bit more to determine if the POD 2.0 is crappy or not. I am still not really confident with the POD sounds.

When I try software like Guitar Rig 4, it really sounds like sh*t (sorry). So what ? Active speakers ? That's pretty expensive isn't it ? Isn't it too much as I have an amp ?

Changing the pickups, probably not worth it ? Or changing the guitar to something more jazzy or bluesy ? Probably, I bought it 5 years ago without really knowing what I way buying. But I like the Wizard II neck. It's really a nice guitar and I am really comfortable with it.

What do you think about all this ? smile.gif

Thanks guys !

--------------------

+Quote Post
OzRob
Oct 15 2009, 12:35 PM
Keilnoth,

I don't know if POD patches are interchangeable among the different models but maybe some of Glenn DeLaune's sounds could help.

http://www.glenndelaune.com/Patch_download...ownloadArea.htm

If you get the gear buying bug though, check out the Blackstar HT-Dual pedal. It's a booster/OD/Distortion in one box using a single tube to push out a very large range of sounds. Can get some beautiful sounds including those crunchy blues you're looking for....just run it into your POD to add extra depth like delay/reverb/etc.

This post has been edited by OzRob: Oct 15 2009, 01:08 PM

--------------------
------------------------
My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
------------------------

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Oct 15 2009, 10:31 PM
Unfortunately, the POD 2.0 is not really "connected". You cannot plug it through USB and cannot use all those softwares.

I checked the Judge Fredd website tonight and it gave me some nice advices. And the Blackstar HT-Dual seems really nice. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 16 2009, 04:17 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Oct 15 2009, 11:31 PM) *
Unfortunately, the POD 2.0 is not really "connected". You cannot plug it through USB and cannot use all those softwares.

I checked the Judge Fredd website tonight and it gave me some nice advices. And the Blackstar HT-Dual seems really nice. smile.gif

I believe POD 2 can get tones from http://www.customtone.com/

Just choose the POD 2 tones, and transfer them via USB. I used to do that with my pocketpod, which is also POD2 tone compatible.

Edit: Ooops. No it doesn't have USB http://line6.com/pod20/ins_outs.html
How weird, since it's "little brother" pocketPOD has it. I always thought POD2 had it too since I downloaded lots of POD 2 tones from http://www.customtone.com for it. Go figure!

This post has been edited by Fran: Oct 16 2009, 04:21 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Oct 16 2009, 05:15 PM
The POD 2.0 is "where everything started" as they say on their website. It's a pretty old product, ~6 years. smile.gif

But I am using the customtone.com website to find some tones. I must say, they are mostly pretty crappy. But it's a good start to work on.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:51 AM