I’m a Monkey, What tuning is Keith using for this song!
BluesBoy
Jun 13 2019, 07:49 PM
GMC:er
I love Richards’ style, and was wondering what tuning he’s using for the song I’m a Monkey?
Also I have an exercise that uses the slide on the pinky. Do I need to switch up in able to fret the exercise correctly? Can we ever Improv pieces at all? Can we use our own style, or are we supposed to follow the lesson to the letter for learning sake? Not sure if I've got "Monkey Man" properly, but I just use standard tuning, bar my index finger across strings 2-3-4 only and use my middle and ring finger on the second string for the notes "walking up" to the chord. The rest is just another variation on that "suspension" thing going on.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by BluesBoy: Jun 13 2019, 11:36 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 14 2019, 02:00 AM
Here is a video that explains it smile.gif Pretty much just add a capo at the second fret.

QUOTE (BluesBoy @ Jun 13 2019, 02:49 PM) *
I love Richards’ style, and was wondering what tuning he’s using for the song I’m a Monkey?
Also I have an exercise that uses the slide on the pinky. Do I need to switch up in able to fret the exercise correctly? Can we ever Improv pieces at all? Can we use our own style, or are we supposed to follow the lesson to the letter for learning sake? Not sure if I've got "Monkey Man" properly, but I just use standard tuning, bar my index finger across strings 2-3-4 only and use my middle and ring finger on the second string for the notes "walking up" to the chord. The rest is just another variation on that "suspension" thing going on.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 14 2019, 07:38 PM
As Todd mentions, standard w/a capo on the 2nd fret.

The slide part "I think" is in open E tuning.
Keith played both parts on this tune as Brian Jones had just died and Mick Taylor had yet to be recruited.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:19 PM