3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Foul Language On Forum
Hemlok
Jul 17 2007, 04:03 PM
GMC:er
I don't know if everyone else notices, but quite often I see someone swearing on the forum. They don't say the full word, they remove a letter or two, and most times leave the first letter, and then follow it with *******. I personally am not offended by swearing, but as younger people use the forum, I don't see the need to use these words. There are hundreds of other words to express your feelings.

Just thought I would share this. Feel free to comment and give your opinion on the subject. smile.gif

- Hemlok

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rvddps
Jul 17 2007, 04:14 PM
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Jul 17 2007, 04:03 PM) *
I don't know if everyone else notices, but quite often I see someone swearing on the forum. They don't say the full word, they remove a letter or two, and most times leave the first letter, and then follow it with *******. I personally am not offended by swearing, but as younger people use the forum, I don't see the need to use these words. There are hundreds of other words to express your feelings.

Just thought I would share this. Feel free to comment and give your opinion on the subject. smile.gif

- Hemlok

Yeah, i'm in agreement, there is really no need for swearing on this forum, i rarely ever see flaming of any kind, and usually the discussions are fine. If possible, try to leave swearing out of your posts guys, use other words to get your point across.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
icedern
Jul 17 2007, 04:26 PM
I don't really see a problem with it...
And if they are at least 12..they probably know every word in the book already anyway and probably say them too.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 17 2007, 04:37 PM
what bothers me more, is when they not only cuss, but they also sound like total morons, which is a very common combination..

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Jul 17 2007, 04:41 PM
fkalich i agree with you ... i could care less but i dont see it necessary

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 17 2007, 05:08 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (ibanezkiller @ Jul 17 2007, 11:41 AM) *
fkalich i agree with you ... i could care less but i dont see it necessary

As you all know from the new posting guidelines, starred out swear words are right on the limit of what is regarded as acceptable, I'd rather do without them ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Jul 17 2007, 05:16 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 17 2007, 12:08 PM) *
As you all know from the new posting guidelines, starred out swear words are right on the limit of what is regarded as acceptable, I'd rather do without them ...

agreed

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
Kaneda
Jul 17 2007, 06:32 PM
Other side of the coin
Very much agreed (why is this in uploads?) I don't mind "language" at all (except in the cases fkalich describes). I'm not known for holding back on it in some situations in speech, but I don't see a need to use it when writing (except a single post, in which it was a quote...) smile.gif

This post has been edited by Kaneda: Jul 17 2007, 06:33 PM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 17 2007, 06:53 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Jul 17 2007, 05:03 PM) *

- Hemlok

I think the ability to say what you want without use of bad words is good evidence of a well developed language. And swaering too much is proof of the opposite.

and I'd love to see someone reply to my post with "**** yeah!" laugh.gif

No, but really, I think the masking of bad words with '*' is not a perfect solution. Everyone knows the meaning of it anyway just by counting the number of '*' and reads it the way it was intended.

Maybe harder moderating is a way if we should go for zero tolerance? Not for me, but for the kids. I know they probably use the words anyway but we should set a good example here. And I think we do, this is actually one of the nices forums around. And if a poster knows that he'll get entire sentences removed or the entire post removed I'm sure he or she can find words to exchange **** and **********.

But surely I think we're behaving nicely over here at GMC biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Jul 17 2007, 06:58 PM
I'm not offended by swearing but it's just as easy to get your point across without it.

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 17 2007, 07:08 PM
Lets go fishing!
This is a random topic, I never even noticed any swearing or stars ! laugh.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 17 2007, 07:09 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
GMC Is way nicer than other forums where swearing just gets annoyiong, like say on the UG Forums, which are the most annoying forums ive ever been on.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 17 2007, 07:13 PM
GMC Founder
Thanks guys! I really couldn't agree more - I can't help but loose respect for people who use this kind of language.

In fact - I don't even read a post through if it uses ***** - it's like a big stop sign that sais "this post isn't thoroughly written - not worth spending my time on it".

It isn't until recently we have started to get this - so I really hope the people who use this lanuage get the message.

If you want to impress somebody: practice non stop and then post cool recording. Or post something informative about what you have learned so far - and if you want me to read it be sure to not have one single *** word...

Kris

--------------------

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Jul 17 2007, 07:14 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jul 17 2007, 07:13 PM) *
Thanks guys! I really couldn't agree more - I can't help but loose respect for people who use this kind of language.

In fact - I don't even read a post through if it uses ***** - it's like a big stop sign that sais "this post isn't thoroughly written - not worth spending my time on it".

It isn't until recently we have started to get this - so I really hope the people who use this lanuage get the message.

If you want to impress somebody: practice non stop and then post cool recording. Or post something informative about what you have learned so far - and if you want me to read it be sure to not have one single *** word...

Kris

Well Said!

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 18 2007, 12:46 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
IMO,
Too often people swear too much. Swearing is a form (offensive or not) of communicative expression that is used to intensify meaning. Part of the issue then, to me, is that if used continually, or if generally just 'over-used', it loses that power to 'shock' or intensify and thus any real rationale for being there in language: it becomes an empty signifier. Relatedly, as already mentioned, language is already rich enough that we can intensify meaning without recourse to swearing - swearing tends to demonstrate the person's lack of facility with words and little else. (In RL I edit and review for academic publications and accept swearing if I feel it in some way it 'adds' to the communication rather than is an empty gesture.)

Perhaps, as has already been mentioned, on a forum based on open communication where we are not face to face we know little if anything about the persons with whom we communicate. Thus we cannot know at what point we transgress the margin between a 'shock for effect' and where we alienate them. In the latter case rather than achieving communication all we are likely to do is close off all communication by making the other person/s walk away in disgust. For us users of the board this situation is bad (you don't make a point/win an argument by making the other person leave in disgust). As with Kris I routinely ignore threads (on other boards) that are little other than swearing contests. However for Kris the effect of us swearing is arguably more intolerable - he might lose a customer, lose credibility, get a poor online rating, etc. Not things I think that any of us would want for him and the site

Whilst I wouldn't go so far as to say don't swear (I'm not an advocate of censorship) do think about the effect that you mean to achieve and that which you might achieve. From what I've seen to date Andrew is doing a great job on the moderation.

Apologies btw if this comes across as preaching - it isn't meant to.
Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Slammer
Jul 18 2007, 12:58 AM
GMC is the Nicest Forum I have ever been too... and I've been to quite a Few.

People Rarely fight and Argue and when they do it's usually Resolved quick and with a smile.gif.

Now as far as Swearing go... this is a Guitar Forum and as far as I'm concerned Foul Lanuage shouldn't have any thing to do with talking about guitar.

I know that we don't only talk about guitar here... but even in other discussions/debates I think all of us are old enough and mature enough and Smart enough to be able to talk without Cussing... At least that's what I think.

Now I know that in everyday life, pretty much all of us Cuss and Swear at one point or another.
So for some it's second nature. So it might translate over the keyboard onto the forum inadvertently.

But GMC is the best guitar site IMO.

So I say lets keep it clean and enjoyable for everyone. So we all can have a Safe & friendly atmosphere to hangout at while we're online.

smile.gif

just my opinion.

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Jul 18 2007, 01:00 AM
Interesting subject man.I had a big debate about this awhile back on here,and to be honest there wasent a point in it.Swearing doesnt really bother me unless it's the f word over and over but, i also understand im not the only gmc member and i respect the other's on here.Since i discussed this with other's i no longer use any foul language.I try and not say anything on here that i wouldnt want said around my 2 kids.I feel that swearing has nothing to do with guitar or discussing it so i keep it out of my posts.It doesnt bother me reading it but i just try and keep it simple and clean.Also why waste your time writting something swearing when you know it will be edited?Which it makes since to me that it is removed now. smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 18 2007, 01:01 AM
Question guys. Is "Damn" acceptable by everybody?? Kris? GMCers? I tend to use that a lot, but not because its a habit, but just because I think that is nothing wrong with it. If it bothers people. I would like to know so I dont use it anymore!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Jul 18 2007, 01:14 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 17 2007, 01:53 PM) *
I think the ability to say what you want without use of bad words is good evidence of a well developed language. And swaering too much is proof of the opposite.
and I'd love to see someone reply to my post with "**** yeah!" laugh.gif

No, but really, I think the masking of bad words with '*' is not a perfect solution. Everyone knows the meaning of it anyway just by counting the number of '*' and reads it the way it was intended.

Maybe harder moderating is a way if we should go for zero tolerance? Not for me, but for the kids. I know they probably use the words anyway but we should set a good example here. And I think we do, this is actually one of the nices forums around. And if a poster knows that he'll get entire sentences removed or the entire post removed I'm sure he or she can find words to exchange **** and **********.
But surely I think we're behaving nicely over here at GMC biggrin.gif

Very well put smile.gif

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jul 17 2007, 02:13 PM) *

Kris

I agree with you .I really didnt use but 2or 3 swear words on here and then posted my opinion and had a reply from you.I talked to Andrew about it and apologized along with Gabriel.I even pm'd you and apologized and tryed to dicuss with you but you never responded.Then i noticed a post you made right after mine where all i said was cool man i just asked the question and you posted this man,and you removed it.I didnt understand that and was curious if you just labeled me or decided since i made a mistake to judge me by that forever. sad.gif I enjoy it here and have enjoyed practicing many of your lessons as well.I just dont know if i ever have a question about one of your posts or lessons if you will respond to me because of one post i made.

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 18 2007, 02:01 AM
I could be mistaken but to anyone who think swearing is ok on the forum keep in mind that I do believe it goes against your chances of becoming a senior member and having a free membership.

- John

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:22 PM