Totally New To Recording
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Aug 26 2007, 08:34 AM
GMC:er
Ok well I really wanna join in on some collabs so I need a little recording setup smile.gif Im on a Dell Diminesion 4100 and my amp has a headphone jack in the front and a Power out jack in the back so I could plug a mixer into there and what not. Equipment wise I think this
this would do the trick.

And then just plug everything where nessecery but is this probably the most effiecent way of going about this ? I mean I just wanna record some stuff I dont wanna be like making records here tongue.gif. Any others recomend anything else ?

- John

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Nick325
Aug 26 2007, 08:40 AM
i would say get a line 6 product smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
exorcyze
Aug 26 2007, 10:34 AM
Anything that allows you to interface should be fine. I personally have the M-Audio FastTrack ( http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackUSB-main.html ) but the PODs should work fine too.

The primary thing is something that hooks up easily ( like mine hooks up via USB ) and then you just need the ASIO drivers, which allow for low latency sound input to the computer ( so you don't get lag between when you play a note and the computer registers it ).

Typically the ASIO drivers will come with whatever interface you get, though you can also get them someplace like this : http://www.asio4all.com/

From there, you just need software like Reaper or Krystal to record / multi-track. =)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Aug 26 2007, 11:46 AM
QUOTE (exorcyze @ Aug 26 2007, 01:34 AM) *
Anything that allows you to interface should be fine. I personally have the M-Audio FastTrack ( http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackUSB-main.html ) but the PODs should work fine too.

The primary thing is something that hooks up easily ( like mine hooks up via USB ) and then you just need the ASIO drivers, which allow for low latency sound input to the computer ( so you don't get lag between when you play a note and the computer registers it ).

Typically the ASIO drivers will come with whatever interface you get, though you can also get them someplace like this : http://www.asio4all.com/

From there, you just need software like Reaper or Krystal to record / multi-track. =)

Hmm 100$ , thats cheaper then any Pod ive seen so far, good find and thanks ! So with that software and the M-audio recording my stuff should be a breeze ?

- Johnnnnn

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Aug 26 2007, 11:56 AM
I have an M-Audio Black Box and record with MAGIX Music Studio Deluxe. It's a 16 track with more extras than I know what to do with. MAGIX

I have the 2005 version of Music Studio.

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 26 2007, 08:39 PM
Moderation Policy Director
I don't think the pocket pod lets you record directly via UISB, you have to feed its output into a soundcard - this is ok, but not as good as a direct USB lonk such as the Guitarport, Toneport, XT and XT Live have. It does have a USB connection, but that lets you edit presets, not record.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Aug 26 2007, 09:33 PM
Instructor
I use a POD XT Live, and I thing is the best tool I ever use. It's very confortable, and sounds very good, almost professional. I like it because you don't need nothing more, only a PC.
The USB cable is the key !!! wink.gif

I don't think the pocket pod lets you record directly via UISB, you have to feed its output into a soundcard - this is ok, but not as good as a direct USB lonk such as the Guitarport, Toneport, XT and XT Live have. It does have a USB connection, but that lets you edit presets, not record.

I agree

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 26 2007, 09:45 PM
QUOTE (Juan M. Valero @ Aug 26 2007, 04:33 PM) *
I use a POD XT Live, and I thing is the best tool

I agree too smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Aug 27 2007, 12:03 AM
QUOTE (Juan M. Valero @ Aug 26 2007, 12:33 PM) *
I use a POD XT Live, and I thing is the best tool I ever use. It's very confortable, and sounds very good, almost professional. I like it because you don't need nothing more, only a PC.
The USB cable is the key !!! wink.gif
I agree

Well im not made of money right now so maybe Ill have to wait a little bit tongue.gif Im getting my ibanez rg prestige soon which will be like 375$ after a discount. And the Pod Xt should cost what, 300$ And I have like 695$ so I need to see how things play out biggrin.gif
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 26 2007, 12:45 PM) *
I agree too smile.gif

It looks like a fine piece of equipment and on top of recording I get tons of different effects ?

- John

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 27 2007, 03:24 AM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Aug 26 2007, 07:03 PM) *
Well im not made of money right now so maybe Ill have to wait a little bit tongue.gif Im getting my ibanez rg prestige soon which will be like 375$ after a discount. And the Pod Xt should cost what, 300$ And I have like 695$ so I need to see how things play out biggrin.gif
It looks like a fine piece of equipment and on top of recording I get tons of different effects ?

- John

Yes indeed!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 27 2007, 03:42 AM
Learning Roadie
Okay, so I'm looking for a decent recording device on a budget. Looking at the guitarport and the toneport.

Which is the way to go, and why? biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Owen
Aug 27 2007, 04:00 AM
Essentially the same thing, but I'd recommend the toneport as you'll get the vocal/bass pre-amp emulation as well and I'm pretty sure when I compared prices last the toneport models were cheaper.

Your basically paying for the software that comes with generally - Gearbox, the other part is just an interface for transfering the basic sound.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 27 2007, 04:03 AM
Learning Roadie
What about this?

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Bjoerne
Aug 27 2007, 04:11 AM
I have to ask something while the topic is up.
I bought a bass a while ago and started to play a bit, i have also got fl studio with addictive drums so i should have enough for making simple songs.

Is it possible to plug in your bass in a line 6 pod or do i have to get some special bass pod? i am VERY poor so something that could combine both guitar/bass would be awesome.
But i also want some effects and amp simulations wich the line6 pods offer so i guess it's not possible to get it that cheap or?

gah sorry long question hope someone can answer ^^

This post has been edited by Bjoerne: Aug 27 2007, 04:11 AM

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 27 2007, 04:14 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Bjoerne @ Aug 26 2007, 03:11 PM) *
I have to ask something while the topic is up.
I bought a bass a while ago and started to play a bit, i have also got fl studio with addictive drums so i should have enough for making simple songs.

Is it possible to plug in your bass in a line 6 pod or do i have to get some special bass pod? i am VERY poor so something that could combine both guitar/bass would be awesome.
But i also want some effects and amp simulations wich the line6 pods offer so i guess it's not possible to get it that cheap or?

gah sorry long question hope someone can answer ^^

According to musicians friend, the one I linked:

The included GearBox software provides a hardware-like, easy-to-navigate interface for dialing up the perfect tone—taken directly from the POD and ready for your guitar, bass, and vocals. Instantly access meticulously crafted models of 23 classic and modern guitar/bass amps, 29 guitar/bass speaker cab models, and 30 stompbox and studio effects, as well as models of 6 studio-standard vocal preamps.

The single 1/4" input accommodates guitar, bass, or microphone signals (adapter required for XLR).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Owen
Aug 27 2007, 04:22 AM
I bought the toneport GX yesterday, it's quite good, the only problem I've had so far is getting the appropriate level of sound from the software and reaper, if you turn the volume up too high in it and play something from a mic or from the guitar into it then it trips something to prevent damage to the system. So far I've tripped it about 20 times and its turned itself off, then you have to take the plug out and put it back in again twice to get it to work as normal.

The general recording is fine, the modelling from the software is decent, although the vocal and bass stuff is a little uninspired and it all sounds the same to me, using the bass I've tripped it a couple of times even when on low levels of volume even.

It's also quite annoying how they dangle the Gold Gearbox software stuff in front of you in the actual program, I didnt buy it the actual thing itself to be reminded of what I'm missing out on.

Overall its good for the price tho but I'm minus decent drum software at present so I cant post any really good samples of how good it would sound with a whole band type setup.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Chris
Aug 27 2007, 04:35 AM
i think iv found the cheapest home recording....
1. take a mini input output cable
2. take a 1/4" to mini converter
3. download kristal cost and virus free...
4. plug converter and cable from headphone jack on amp, to line in on comp
5. record and play....using the Kristal 16 track software...and tune up with effects and editing...
6. Using headphones listen to your recorded self play...and play over whilst recording....
7. finish off and export (large file size)
8 .download Switch for free and convert your 40mb audio files into 4mb MP3s.....

--------------------
Never Stop Rockin'

Axes : PRS SE Singlecut, Fender Squire Stratocaster, Epiphone SG
Amp : Marshall MG Series 30DFX
Pedals : Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95, Behringer OD100

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 27 2007, 04:38 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Chris @ Aug 26 2007, 03:35 PM) *
i think iv found the cheapest home recording....
1. take a mini input output cable
2. take a 1/4" to mini converter
3. download kristal cost and virus free...
4. plug converter and cable from headphone jack on amp, to line in on comp
5. record and play....using the Kristal 16 track software...and tune up with effects and editing...
6. Using headphones listen to your recorded self play...and play over whilst recording....
7. finish off and export (large file size)
8 .download Switch for free and convert your 40mb audio files into 4mb MP3s.....

More or less that's what I've been doing, but I'm not very satisfied with it tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Owen
Aug 27 2007, 04:42 AM
Cheapest, but not necessarily the best, i've been working with that sort of setup for months now and it has its downfalls:

The anologue to digital converters in most sound cards that come with pc's are pretty poor, this means that you lose sound quality sending the signal from amp/effects to the pc.

This is going to sound a bit petty, but its really inconvenient fiddling with wires at the back of your machine all the time.

Also - taking a direct out from a pedal or amp to a pc can just sound plain bad - thats why a normal signal with some form of amp modeling being introduced later works a treat because it has been refined by the software.

I find that the representation of the sound I have coming out my speakers after recording with the toneport is much more representative of what I had been hearing initially when playing than if I had recorded with just a standard sound card.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 27 2007, 04:46 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Owen @ Aug 26 2007, 03:42 PM) *
I find that the representation of the sound I have coming out my speakers after recording with the toneport is much more representative of what I had been hearing initially when playing than if I had recorded with just a standard sound card.

That's what I want to hear biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by JVM: Aug 27 2007, 04:46 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:50 AM