Something Is Holding Me Back, and it's not the Mrs
JD_
Jun 29 2011, 04:37 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi, I am just getting back into guitar after a LONG unfortunate break..... One thing I am finding at the moment is that the caluses on my fingers is holding me back from practising any more than about 90mins per day. I am mainly starting back at lead guitar, as my 'chops' in rythm are decent. I am doing alot of string bending al la Dave Gilmour, I am currently working on Guitar Loves Piano #1 and Pentatonic Workshop....does anyone have any tips or tricks to help?

Thanks huh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 13)
JamesT
Jun 29 2011, 10:08 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Well, I can't say I have any real tricks, but I'm kind of going through the same thing with Hbrid Picking. The fingers on my right hand aren't built up like the fretting fingers, so I have to lay off of the hybrid picking practice after about 40 minutes. I can see that they are starting to toughen up so I think it's a matter of time before I can spend a whole session on fingerpicking if I want. For now, I just switch over to a technique or area of practice after my fingers can't take it anymore. For the left hand/fretting hand, it's probably a different story cause you can't switch to something that doesn't require fretting any strings. tongue.gif I guess on the bright side, it probably won't take long to get your fingers back into shape. ...probably less than a month.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jun 29 2011, 10:23 PM
Instructor
If you get tired quickly, divide the time on 2x45 minutes. Practice the first part,than rest hour, two or three, and continue next 45 minutes !
Next day try 2x60m smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sinisa Cekic: Jun 29 2011, 10:25 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 30 2011, 09:58 AM
Instructor
A lot of people would kill for 90mins a day, that's not bad by anyone's standards ! smile.gif

It is annoying when you want to keep going but your fingers hurt too much.. it's only natural though, especially if you're concentrating on intense bending. (btw, those Gilmour style bends are a great thing to do and I would recommend every guitarist practice stuff like that)

Frustration occurs only when our mind can see/hear what we want to do but our body can't deliver.. our mind is always ahead of our body in anything we want to learn. Try and tell the mind to butt out for a while and let your body catch up wink.gif

Also, how much time are you devoting to bending ? Say your bending for 90 mins and it hurts, are you still able to work on something like legato or something that doesn't require so much finger pressure ?

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Jun 30 2011, 09:59 AM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 30 2011, 03:19 PM
Instructor
Yes, like ben said, bending can be very demanding on the fingers, so it's great that you split those session in more short ones.

For example, it's much more interesting (and it seems that times goes faster this way as well? smile.gif ), if you play 15 minute fragments per are, like:

- chords
- scales AP
- scales legato
- arpeggios fragments AP & EP
- arpeggios sweeps
- theory
- bending
- harmony (songwriting, chordal combinations)
- improvisation

15 minutes to each of these will already get your hands full, and make session very interesting, and easy on the fingers! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jun 30 2011, 03:19 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 30 2011, 03:29 PM
Instructor
Indeed, you should try and listen to your body. If it hurts, stop, rest a bit, or study something else, like Ivan suggested. Frustration often occurs when we get the idea that we devote a lot of time to something and the desired results won't come that easily or at all.

Sometimes, the way we devote time to something, really makes the difference. smile.gif

+Quote Post
JD_
Jun 30 2011, 03:38 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 30 2011, 02:19 PM) *
Yes, like ben said, bending can be very demanding on the fingers, so it's great that you split those session in more short ones.

For example, it's much more interesting (and it seems that times goes faster this way as well? smile.gif ), if you play 15 minute fragments per are, like:

- chords
- scales AP
- scales legato
- arpeggios sweeps
- theory
- bending
- improvisation

15 minutes to each of these will already get your hands full, and make session very interesting, and easy on the fingers! smile.gif

Thanks to everyone that responded, This GMC is awesome. in the 24 hrs since i have posted this i have tried the following.....I bought a bottle of methlayted spirits... I keep the cap of the bottle filled with the spirit and dip my fingers in it every time I walk past the kitchen. I have found it has already toughened the skin of the fingers....I heard Eric Clapton used to do the same.

Much like your responses I have split my time, insted of attempting a 90min practice with nothing but lead/bending prac i have attempted different excercises that don't require as much pressure from my fingers. The Dave Gilmour refernce was to the "Quick Licks Dave Gilmour" DVD i have purchased.....I smashed out the first 12 bars in one night and couldn't do anything with my fingers for 24hrs....

Even though motivation is high I guess everyone has to know a limit. I am currentlu working on GMC Guitar Loves Piano #1 and have finished it but before i upload it i want it perfect so I will keep going with that as it doesn't require much finger pressure as alot of bending does.

With the 90mins a day, i strive for 2hrs....I have recently had a Son, who is almost 3 months old, so I practise thru headphones from midnight till about 130 - 2am....where there is a will there is a way...By the time my son is 10yrs old...Daddy will be able to whale on the guitar hahaha Thanks for eveyones help on this issue laugh.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 30 2011, 02:29 PM) *
Indeed, you should try and listen to your body. If it hurts, stop, rest a bit, or study something else, like Ivan suggested. Frustration often occurs when we get the idea that we devote a lot of time to something and the desired results won't come that easily or at all.

Sometimes, the way we devote time to something, really makes the difference. smile.gif

Thankyou, and I will do. Let me ask you though, a seasoned player....do your fingers still hurt after years of constant playing? Mine hurt because I am only just getting back into it. I have heard though, that, Stevie Ray Vaughn had ruined his fingers from years of 1+1/2 step bends on small guage strings..... Thoughts?

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 30 2011, 08:58 AM) *
A lot of people would kill for 90mins a day, that's not bad by anyone's standards ! smile.gif

It is annoying when you want to keep going but your fingers hurt too much.. it's only natural though, especially if you're concentrating on intense bending. (btw, those Gilmour style bends are a great thing to do and I would recommend every guitarist practice stuff like that)

Frustration occurs only when our mind can see/hear what we want to do but our body can't deliver.. our mind is always ahead of our body in anything we want to learn. Try and tell the mind to butt out for a while and let your body catch up wink.gif

Also, how much time are you devoting to bending ? Say your bending for 90 mins and it hurts, are you still able to work on something like legato or something that doesn't require so much finger pressure ?

Thanks tongue.gif

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jun 30 2011, 03:45 PM
GMC:er
Aside from all the other good advice, it's better if you prevent your fingers from hurting to begin with. Based on what you've described, it sounds like you are:

1. A little protective of your allotted time to play
2. Driving towards, for the moment, just this one specific goal
3. Possibly bending from the fingers rather than the wrist
4. Not warming up because of items 1 and 2 sad.gif

Answer? Warm up first. No bending for the first 10 minutes of playtime, 15 minutes if you're over thirty five years of age, 20 minutes if you're over forty years of age. Practice at stupidly-low-tempo some scales or those obnoxious finger independence exercises. Just for 10 minutes! VERY LOW TEMPO.

After you're warmed you can bend all you want, and you will gain strength instead of risking permanent harm to your joints.

If you're still struggling, see item #3 above: don't bend with your fingers, bend with your wrist.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 30 2011, 03:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Jun 30 2011, 02:38 PM) *
Thanks to everyone that responded, This GMC is awesome. in the 24 hrs since i have posted this i have tried the following.....I bought a bottle of methlayted spirits... I keep the cap of the bottle filled with the spirit and dip my fingers in it every time I walk past the kitchen. I have found it has already toughened the skin of the fingers....I heard Eric Clapton used to do the same.

Much like your responses I have split my time, insted of attempting a 90min practice with nothing but lead/bending prac i have attempted different excercises that don't require as much pressure from my fingers. The Dave Gilmour refernce was to the "Quick Licks Dave Gilmour" DVD i have purchased.....I smashed out the first 12 bars in one night and couldn't do anything with my fingers for 24hrs....

Even though motivation is high I guess everyone has to know a limit. I am currentlu working on GMC Guitar Loves Piano #1 and have finished it but before i upload it i want it perfect so I will keep going with that as it doesn't require much finger pressure as alot of bending does.

With the 90mins a day, i strive for 2hrs....I have recently had a Son, who is almost 3 months old, so I practise thru headphones from midnight till about 130 - 2am....where there is a will there is a way...By the time my son is 10yrs old...Daddy will be able to whale on the guitar hahaha Thanks for eveyones help on this issue laugh.gif

Thankyou, and I will do. Let me ask you though, a seasoned player....do your fingers still hurt after years of constant playing? Mine hurt because I am only just getting back into it. I have heard though, that, Stevie Ray Vaughn had ruined his fingers from years of 1+1/2 step bends on small guage strings..... Thoughts?

Thanks tongue.gif

I sometimes feel pain - though, not too much, if I don't get to warm up properly, before playing on the baritone guitar for instance. otherwise, no pain at all.

+Quote Post
JD_
Jun 30 2011, 04:05 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Jun 30 2011, 02:45 PM) *
Aside from all the other good advice, it's better if you prevent your fingers from hurting to begin with. Based on what you've described, it sounds like you are:

1. A little protective of your allotted time to play
2. Driving towards, for the moment, just this one specific goal
3. Possibly bending from the fingers rather than the wrist
4. Not warming up because of items 1 and 2 sad.gif

Answer? Warm up first. No bending for the first 10 minutes of playtime, 15 minutes if you're over thirty five years of age, 20 minutes if you're over forty years of age. Practice at stupidly-low-tempo some scales or those obnoxious finger independence exercises. Just for 10 minutes! VERY LOW TEMPO.

After you're warmed you can bend all you want, and you will gain strength instead of risking permanent harm to your joints.

If you're still struggling, see item #3 above: don't bend with your fingers, bend with your wrist.

Thanks for the comment.....I would have to say that I am very determined and focused on a goal and that's a good thing. But ifrom what u have said it may be a little too soon to start 1and a half step bends even though my ear and ability can do it, because of my absence from guitar my finger strength can not for a long period of time. I am definatly bending from the fingers...I have never heard of ppl bending from the wrist....but perhaps some ppl do it. I guess th issue is that my motivation and Drive are too much for my finger tips to provide. I know what I want to be able to do on the guitar and I also know how to get there, my eagerness is wanting something my fingertips cant provide....but everyday they get stronger....
Thanks alot mate, Cheers smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 30 2011, 02:50 PM) *
I sometimes feel pain - though, not too much, if I don't get to warm up properly, before playing on the baritone guitar for instance. otherwise, no pain at all.

What sort of excercises do you do for warm up? And by the way I have the Nuno Bettencourt lesson you have made Bookmarked and I am workin towards it....Thanks!

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 30 2011, 04:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Jun 30 2011, 03:05 PM) *
Thanks for the comment.....I would have to say that I am very determined and focused on a goal and that's a good thing. But ifrom what u have said it may be a little too soon to start 1and a half step bends even though my ear and ability can do it, because of my absence from guitar my finger strength can not for a long period of time. I am definatly bending from the fingers...I have never heard of ppl bending from the wrist....but perhaps some ppl do it. I guess th issue is that my motivation and Drive are too much for my finger tips to provide. I know what I want to be able to do on the guitar and I also know how to get there, my eagerness is wanting something my fingertips cant provide....but everyday they get stronger....
Thanks alot mate, Cheers smile.gif

What sort of excercises do you do for warm up? And by the way I have the Nuno Bettencourt lesson you have made Bookmarked and I am workin towards it....Thanks!

Haha biggrin.gif great to hear that smile.gif well, a good warm-up exercise that does real wonders, would be this one:

https://www.youtube.com/user/gmcguitar#p/u/5/wCdOlzHIo60

it doesn't even require a guitar biggrin.gif

check it out smile.gif

+Quote Post
JD_
Jun 30 2011, 04:25 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 30 2011, 03:13 PM) *
Haha biggrin.gif great to hear that smile.gif well, a good warm-up exercise that does real wonders, would be this one:

check it out smile.gif

Awesome, Thanks alot. Before I found GMC i came across an amazing man called Rob Chappers....he has a warm up idea on this link....
https://www.youtube.com/user/RobChappers#p/...h/0/6H353MZ6dtI

sorry to post away from GMC.... haha

tongue.gif

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
JD_
Jun 30 2011, 05:54 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 30 2011, 02:19 PM) *

- chords
- scales AP
- scales legato
- arpeggios sweeps
- theory
- bending
- improvisation

BTW....Thankyou for always responding..... laugh.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 30 2011, 03:13 PM) *

check it out smile.gif

Thanks for always replying to my msg's....

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 14 2011, 07:45 AM
Instructor
Glad to help mate, if you need help, you know where to look smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:09 PM