Fx Loops On Amplifiers, whats the go!!!
slash85
Jan 29 2008, 10:46 AM
GMC:er
gday mates,

2 questions:

i just bought meself the new MARSHALL JVM410 HEAD with a quad box and its got all the fx loop gear on it..............now ive read the manual but i dont understand how u r meant to use the fx loop and how it works.....im assuming u hook all yur pedals together and plug em in to the fx loop section but i really wanna know what the whole point of it is and how u use it properly if anyone can gimme a full run down that'd be absolutely grouse wink.gif

the amp also has resonance and presence controls and im wonderin what these do exactly i have no idea

cheers fellas

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
DEFENDER OF THE FAITH \m/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 29 2008, 11:24 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Congratulations!!! biggrin.gif
I don't know what kind of loop the JVM got but in general it's fit between the pre amp and the power amp section.

It's generaly said that you put effects like chorus, delay (time effects) etc in the loop while dist, Wah etc goes in the input jack.
The modulation effects can then, in the look, act on the pre amp signal without going through the sound altering that the pre amp does - pre amp distortion.

If you've got a serial loop it's placed right between the pre and power amp. The loop signal is part of the signal chain.
As for a parallell loop that comes with a "level"-knob that will determine how much of the loop is implemented to the pre amp signal.
So that's actual a way of deciding yourself how much of the loop should be involved. If you choose to set it to full the entire pre amp signal will be "ruined" wink.gif if you set it low most of the pre amp tone is preserved while a tad of the loop is added. I think this is what you'd want to aim for, to keep as much of the original tone as possible.
If there's a on/off for the loop in your footswitch be sure to use it. Always always always try to use the amps tone, it's simply so much better than pedals.
I suggest you keep it down to a Wah and a delay only. Nothing more. Set the channels so you can use one boosted solo tone so there's no need to add in an EQ pedal.

Presence contol, you could say it's an extension of the Treble. If affects high frequencies. I'm guessingthe resonance would affect the low frequencies. Presence is actually very useful to find your tone.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
slash85
Jan 29 2008, 12:35 PM
GMC:er
cheers for the input mate much appreciated....i will say that the fx loop has a level knob one way is "WET" and the other is "DRY" so maybe this is what yur talking about determining how much of the loop is in the amps signal?

QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 29 2008, 08:24 PM) *
Congratulations!!! biggrin.gif
I don't know what kind of loop the JVM got but in general it's fit between the pre amp and the power amp section.

It's generaly said that you put effects like chorus, delay (time effects) etc in the loop while dist, Wah etc goes in the input jack.
The modulation effects can then, in the look, act on the pre amp signal without going through the sound altering that the pre amp does - pre amp distortion.

If you've got a serial loop it's placed right between the pre and power amp. The loop signal is part of the signal chain.
As for a parallell loop that comes with a "level"-knob that will determine how much of the loop is implemented to the pre amp signal.
So that's actual a way of deciding yourself how much of the loop should be involved. If you choose to set it to full the entire pre amp signal will be "ruined" wink.gif if you set it low most of the pre amp tone is preserved while a tad of the loop is added. I think this is what you'd want to aim for, to keep as much of the original tone as possible.
If there's a on/off for the loop in your footswitch be sure to use it. Always always always try to use the amps tone, it's simply so much better than pedals.
I suggest you keep it down to a Wah and a delay only. Nothing more. Set the channels so you can use one boosted solo tone so there's no need to add in an EQ pedal.

Presence contol, you could say it's an extension of the Treble. If affects high frequencies. I'm guessingthe resonance would affect the low frequencies. Presence is actually very useful to find your tone.

--------------------
DEFENDER OF THE FAITH \m/

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:12 PM