What Are You Practicing Now?
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 2 2015, 02:19 PM
Instructor
Hey friends! Let's share here the routines, songs or lessons that you are practicing.

I'll give you some suggestions about how to work on it, suggest some more similar stuff, tweaks to your routine, and other students will motivate to start practicing now. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Jim S.
Apr 2 2015, 02:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 2 2015, 09:19 AM) *
Hey friends! Let's share here the routines, songs or lessons that you are practicing.

I'll give you some suggestions about how to work on it, suggest some more similar stuff, tweaks to your routine, and other students will motivate to start practicing now. smile.gif

I'm dedicating this month to hybrid picking and string skipping concepts! Between Dalton Santos and Diego budicins lessons, I'll be a busy guy.

Oh yeah!!!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 2 2015, 11:29 PM
Learning Tone Master
Solo's for Mr. Crowley,Hail to the king and Electric Eye

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 3 2015, 08:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jim S. @ Apr 2 2015, 10:22 AM) *
I'm dedicating this month to hybrid picking and string skipping concepts! Between Dalton Santos and Diego budicins lessons, I'll be a busy guy.

Oh yeah!!!!

Awesome stuff! And how is it going? Do you find it so difficult?

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 2 2015, 07:29 PM) *
Solo's for Mr. Crowley,Hail to the king and Electric Eye

Fantastic ones! how are you learning the solos? by ear?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Apr 3 2015, 09:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 3 2015, 03:34 PM) *
Awesome stuff! And how is it going? Do you find it so difficult?

Well it's going pretty good. The biggest obstacle I find is switching between picking and hybrid. For instance with my last rec. take I could easily play the hybrid parts isolated and at or above goal tempo. But in a live context I can't make that mental jump and I'll just pick the notes.

With Daltons string skipping it feels almost effortless and natural for me but again if I start hybrid picking in the middle of an improv solo then I loose time by a fraction. In my rec. tske I was fully able to do those hybrid parts but lacked enough confidence to pull them off in time.

Here's the thing about me, I am almost at a level where I can employ all the techniques I love but have not mastered them enough to put them on my everyday playing. It's like having a full refrigerator but mommy will only let you have milk. I want a chicken casserole dude.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 3 2015, 10:22 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 3 2015, 08:34 PM) *
Fantastic ones! how are you learning the solos? by ear?

Way to lazy for that. Guitar for the practicing musician had a couple of issues. they are all memorized just building them to speed and geting out all those unwanted noises

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 6 2015, 12:00 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jim S. @ Apr 3 2015, 05:26 PM) *
Well it's going pretty good. The biggest obstacle I find is switching between picking and hybrid. For instance with my last rec. take I could easily play the hybrid parts isolated and at or above goal tempo. But in a live context I can't make that mental jump and I'll just pick the notes.

With Daltons string skipping it feels almost effortless and natural for me but again if I start hybrid picking in the middle of an improv solo then I loose time by a fraction. In my rec. tske I was fully able to do those hybrid parts but lacked enough confidence to pull them off in time.

Here's the thing about me, I am almost at a level where I can employ all the techniques I love but have not mastered them enough to put them on my everyday playing. It's like having a full refrigerator but mommy will only let you have milk. I want a chicken casserole dude.

yeah, I understand what you mean, and the cool thing is that you have your next goal very clear. You can see it, so now it's time to go for it. It's time to mix all your stuff, and I think that this is more related to creating your own music than learning other guitarists stuff. You have the technique, you have the knowledge, now create your own solos /riffs / songs even if you cannot play them at the tempo you want, and then work to master it. It's time to find your own voice on guitar. The most beautiful time. smile.gif

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 3 2015, 06:22 PM) *
Way to lazy for that. Guitar for the practicing musician had a couple of issues. they are all memorized just building them to speed and geting out all those unwanted noises

Great! Let me know when there is a video to see the progress.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Apr 6 2015, 04:39 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 5 2015, 07:00 PM) *
yeah, I understand what you mean, and the cool thing is that you have your next goal very clear. You can see it, so now it's time to go for it. It's time to mix all your stuff, and I think that this is more related to creating your own music than learning other guitarists stuff. You have the technique, you have the knowledge, now create your own solos /riffs / songs even if you cannot play them at the tempo you want, and then work to master it. It's time to find your own voice on guitar. The most beautiful time. smile.gif

Thanks Gab! Your right now is the time to get to writing my tunes! Here is something I came up with on piano first then a little guitar and drums. Very Basic but the feel is there. https://soundcloud.com/division-bridge/grave-rough-idea

After a couple short Chat lessons with Todd I really found some disabilities with my picking. And I will work on that while I write some new Tunes!!!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 6 2015, 02:07 PM
Instructor
Interesting Jim, this is exactly what I was meaning. You need to explore your style by creating your own solos. There is some cool stuff happening here but it off course need some development. Here are some tips based on this:

- Take the stronger phrases, keep them and re-work the parts that you like less.
- Improve the backing track, the drum groove and other instruments. The more shape you give to the track, the more inspiration will come.
- Create a part B for this backing, a progression that could be the chorus for the song to be able to have some melodic variation.
- Use more rhythm variation.
- Use silence element as a part of your phrasing.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Apr 8 2015, 04:14 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Gab,

As you know I work All the Days legato, sweeping.

I work too the Piotr's lesson "Funky Satch", I made a take without intro to begin.

I think the notes are approximately in their place .
I have difficulty concentrating on subtleties such as bends , vibrato.

I made a video 100% speed to show my limit.
I think I have reached the limit of my speed ,
I miss a little bit to play this lesson more freely.

17' to 25' : difficulty
48' to 52' : difficulty

How do I work to improve that ?

I isolate sequences by working slowly.
I work with Backing track 50%,
it's been one month that I work, I feel not advance

Is this the right way ?

Other Question :

How make a better preset guitar Rig ?

My guitar is Ibanez Ergodyne (No Wood - It's composite material unsure.gif )
I upgraded with Dimarzio FRED DP153 and Paf Pro DP151

My Preset Funky Satch

This post has been edited by MisterM: Apr 9 2015, 06:14 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 9 2015, 03:07 PM
Instructor
Hi MisterM! Good job with this great lesson!

How to work on trickier parts? Exactly as you are doing! You have to isolate the licks that are giving you problems and work on them as a loop. You can take them and divide even in smaller blocks for practicing and then connect the different parts. You can use metronome, or slower backings for this. I also think that using related exercises and even creating variations of the licks as your own original exercises help a lot. For example, if the lick that is giving problems is based on alternate picking, you can try to notice what is exactly making it difficult:

- Is it only on one string?
- Does it cross strings?
- Does it use inside or outside picking?
- What kind of picking mechanic does it use? Useful LINK

Once you notice the problem, you can search for exercises and licks that uses similar concepts for working on it.

About you tone, I don't think that there is something wrong with it. You can continue adjusting EQ and quantity of effect but I think that it not bad, and the Guitar Rig set up looks good.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Apr 9 2015, 05:05 PM
Veteran Tone Master
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 9 2015, 02:07 PM) *
Hi MisterM! Good job with this great lesson!

How to work on trickier parts? Exactly as you are doing! You have to isolate the licks that are giving you problems and work on them as a loop. You can take them and divide even in smaller blocks for practicing and then connect the different parts. You can use metronome, or slower backings for this.

Hi Gab and thank you for your interest.
Ok I'm happy to know that I work the good things. I use the métronome and Guitar Rig 50%, it helps a lot

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi)
I also think that using related exercises and even creating variations of the licks as your own original exercises help a lot. For example, if the lick that is giving problems is based on alternate picking, you can try to notice what is exactly making it difficult:

- Is it only on one string?
- Does it cross strings?
- Does it use inside or outside picking?
- What kind of picking mechanic does it use?

Ok, I will analyze the difficulties and work on them

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi)
Useful LINK

Once you notice the problem, you can search for exercises and licks that uses similar concepts for working on it.

I look immediately wink.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi)
About you tone, I don't think that there is something wrong with it. You can continue adjusting EQ and quantity of effect but I think that it not bad, and the Guitar Rig set up looks good.

OK, maybe my fingers prevent the strings to ring properly

Thank Gab for your dynamism.... biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by MisterM: Apr 9 2015, 05:06 PM

+Quote Post
Daeron
Apr 10 2015, 08:35 AM
Learning Chord Basher
Hello,

I'm practicing a few lessons of the Beginner's corner. This serie seems to be very good and I like to make the exercises.

I make this one about pull-offs : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...-23-Pull-Offs/#
This one about hammer-ons : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...r-22-Hammer-On/
This one about string bending : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...r-21-String-Ben
This one to work the barre chords : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...g-Barre-Chords/

About the lesson on string bending, I would have a question. When I see how Bear make the string bending, it is a little bit different than the way I learned it. The way I learned it until now, the index finger is always in contact with the bottom of the neck and the fingers doesn't extend to make the bending : the wrist rotate to make the movement. I don't know if you understand what I mean. I's like to learn it the good way, can you tell me if I'm wrong ?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 10 2015, 01:59 PM
Instructor
Hi Daeron, from what I understand, theorically what you describe should be right. Bear changes the function of his fingers depending on the one that he is using for bending. Sometimes index is used to help major finger bend, while other times it's used to mute the lower string. The main movement when we do bending should be from our wrist so that's why I say that what you say is theoretically correct. However it would be really helpful for me to give specific feedback if you can share a video of you playing the technique, is it possible?

Also, check this video:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Daeron
Apr 10 2015, 07:55 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Hello Gabriel and thank you for your help. Yes, I do the movement with my wrist. But I had a doubt as I can see in Bear's lesson that he doesn't make the bending rotating the wrist but extending his fingers. A few weeks ago, I did it this way but I've been tell that I lost precision and strength, so now I bend the string only by rotation of the wrist.

I'll post a take on this lesson when I'll be ready but I can take a video before to show you, so you can correct me if I make a wrong movement. Thank you again ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 12 2015, 07:09 PM
Instructor
Ok Daeron, nice to know that the comments helped, I'll wait for your take to check it. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Apr 13 2015, 05:11 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab

I work on the lesson "writing a solo - dynamics" suggested by you.

It's pretty Nice and a bit hard but i manage to do it the best as possible.

I'll put a preview soon to have your advices.

Regards

Laurent

This post has been edited by fzalfa: Apr 13 2015, 05:14 PM

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
ChocolateThunda
Apr 13 2015, 02:13 PM
GMC:er
I'm going to dedicate a few months or so to linking the fretboard together.. I want to get into improvising and stuff and atm I can improvise in one position, which is kinda cool, but I wanna unlock more wink.gif

Gonna maybe start with linking position one with position 5 and 2 and take it from there!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 13 2015, 09:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Apr 13 2015, 01:11 AM) *
Hi Gab

I work on the lesson "writing a solo - dynamics" suggested by you.

It's pretty Nice and a bit hard but i manage to do it the best as possible.

I'll put a preview soon to have your advices.

Regards

Laurent

Excellent! Please let me know when you have the preview ready to be checked.

QUOTE (ChocolateThunda @ Apr 13 2015, 10:13 AM) *
I'm going to dedicate a few months or so to linking the fretboard together.. I want to get into improvising and stuff and atm I can improvise in one position, which is kinda cool, but I wanna unlock more wink.gif

Gonna maybe start with linking position one with position 5 and 2 and take it from there!

This is a very important thing to work on. I wonder if you have seen my Improvisation Course: LINK

You can find there the program and replay the videos in which I show how to work on the different topics.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 13 2015, 09:02 PM
GMC Founder
Great thread, it's inspiring to read what others are doing.

For the last month I have been trying to make use of all the licks/techniques I have been practicing over the years in a jam kind of situation. I have found that this is not only good for improving improvising (hard to say btw!) - but its pretty much the only way for me to turn the licks from "tricks" to musical tools.

So I am doing much of what Gab recommended Jim.

I am also trying to make every practice session different - I find that it keeps me more motivated. So I'll try to come up with a new backing for every session, with a different bpm/feel/tonality. This also improves my production/software skills which is kinda needed since I often get stuck when writing songs.

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:28 AM