Recording With Ez Drummer
dcz702
Apr 22 2013, 09:41 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
hey guys i just downloaded EZ drummer and im am practicing some thing at slow tempo buy using ez drummer to keep time.
while i was doing this i thought i would learn the program while im at it.
so ive layed out the drum beat and then recorded my guitar part over it and then replced some of the bars with fills in certain sections of the song.
now i want to use the kit that is on the main screen of EZ drumers plug in to hit the cymblas at certain times and have it record while i do this, but i cant figure out how to get it to record. ive tried recording over the drum track and ive tried making a new track with no luck sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Socky42
Apr 23 2013, 01:30 AM
GMC:er
I don't think you can record the notes with clicking the interface.

Two ways you can go about doing this:

If you hit caps lock in logic, it opens up a keyboard thats mapped to letters on your keyboard then just record with that.

Or double click on a midi region (the green boxes), this opens up the piano roll tab. Hit escape then click on the pencil tool. Then you can click on the grid where you want the note.

Hopefully thats clear enough

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
dcz702
Apr 23 2013, 01:43 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Apr 23 2013, 12:30 AM) *
I don't think you can record the notes with clicking the interface.

Two ways you can go about doing this:

If you hit caps lock in logic, it opens up a keyboard thats mapped to letters on your keyboard then just record with that.

Or double click on a midi region (the green boxes), this opens up the piano roll tab. Hit escape then click on the pencil tool. Then you can click on the grid where you want the note.

Hopefully thats clear enough

yea man i got it cool biggrin.gif i gave up and emailed toontrack but you answered this for me im gonna throw in cymbals right now cool.gif
thanks socky

+Quote Post
dcz702
Apr 23 2013, 03:23 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
so i figured out EZ drummer i dont know why i havent used this before its that easy to use!
im practicing gabs finnish power metal lesson and i orginally layed down a beat to practice it slow and in time. the one thing i like about this site so much is that when i set out to practice and learn something, alot of the times I end up learning what i started and gain new knowledge on something else cool.gif this is gabs lesson slowed down to 125 bpm so i can get it down right, there are some mistakes, still trying to get it down. i had alot of fun using ez drummer and trying to get creative. this is going to really help my with writing. biggrin.gif
didnt mean to buthcher the tune gab laugh.gif just experimenting smile.gif
https://soundcloud.com/zygas702-1/finish-power-metalslow

This post has been edited by dcz702: Apr 23 2013, 03:26 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 23 2013, 08:00 AM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif It's a good step in drum writing. I started out doing this back in 2008 and I haven't stopped ever since.

I strongly encourage you to write drums using the piano roll (the keyboard window) and in order to make things interesting for you - what do you say about a little challenge? smile.gif

Can you pick up a song you like very, very much and emulate the drum track using your newly acquired drum writing skill? It will greatly improve your ability to understand drumming and rhythm and your rhythmic guitar playing will know new heights smile.gif

So, what will the song be?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 23 2013, 08:33 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 23 2013, 08:00 AM) *
Hey mate smile.gif It's a good step in drum writing. I started out doing this back in 2008 and I haven't stopped ever since.

I strongly encourage you to write drums using the piano roll (the keyboard window) and in order to make things interesting for you - what do you say about a little challenge? smile.gif

Can you pick up a song you like very, very much and emulate the drum track using your newly acquired drum writing skill? It will greatly improve your ability to understand drumming and rhythm and your rhythmic guitar playing will know new heights smile.gif

Cosmin

Agree with Comsin. I do it same way. It's much faster than recording from external midi device and trying to solve any quantize or velocity problems. Drawing simple rhtythms is much easier ...ups...sorry...it's EZier smile.gif)) You can always borrow some grooves and fills from the samples. Drawing Your own fills is probably most time consuming smile.gif

+Quote Post
dcz702
Apr 23 2013, 08:44 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 23 2013, 07:00 AM) *

Cosmin

yea i dabbled a bit in the piano roll thats how i added cymbals.How do you use the piano roll to create a entire drum track do you, have to do each beat alone? say like hit the high hat when recording then go back and do a snareand so on.....? im going to try to do what you suggest with playing back a drum track maybe ill find something simple first. smile.gif my practice regimen is starting to get cramped. blink.gif but its fun learning so much. ill will use this post evertime i make practice out of this topic biggrin.gif
can i bookmark posts?

This post has been edited by dcz702: Apr 23 2013, 08:50 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 23 2013, 09:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Apr 23 2013, 07:33 AM) *
Agree with Comsin. I do it same way. It's much faster than recording from external midi device and trying to solve any quantize or velocity problems. Drawing simple rhtythms is much easier ...ups...sorry...it's EZier smile.gif)) You can always borrow some grooves and fills from the samples. Drawing Your own fills is probably most time consuming smile.gif

True - it's time consuming indeed! But it will also spark creativity - I love writing drums and I think I'd love to be able to drum as well - to me, it seems like the supreme energy unleashing biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 23 2013, 10:03 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (dcz702 @ Apr 23 2013, 07:44 AM) *
yea i dabbled a bit in the piano roll thats how i added cymbals.How do you use the piano roll to create a entire drum track do you, have to do each beat alone? say like hit the high hat when recording then go back and do a snareand so on.....? im going to try to do what you suggest with playing back a drum track maybe ill find something simple first. smile.gif my practice regimen is starting to get cramped. blink.gif but its fun learning so much. ill will use this post evertime i make practice out of this topic biggrin.gif
can i bookmark posts?

Hey mate, a video will sort things out biggrin.gif I will talk to you about my experience writing drums, so stay tuned wink.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Apr 23 2013, 12:55 PM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 24 2013, 03:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 23 2013, 09:22 AM) *
True - it's time consuming indeed! But it will also spark creativity - I love writing drums and I think I'd love to be able to drum as well - to me, it seems like the supreme energy unleashing biggrin.gif

Yeah...that would be great to just sit and play even on the electric drums biggrin.gif I found the most common problem is to emulate the humanity of drum player...Sometimes it's nescesarry to move the block a bit out of tempo or as most important...drumes never use 127 velosicty on every note while playing very fast runs biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
dcz702
Apr 24 2013, 06:21 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 23 2013, 09:03 AM) *
Hey mate, a video will sort things out biggrin.gif I will talk to you about my experience writing drums, so stay tuned wink.gif

Thanks cosmin. I messed with it a little bit. I can see this becoming time consuming, but fun. I'm wondering if there is gear like maybe a akai drum pad that works with EZ drummer to use instead of using the keyboard?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 25 2013, 01:16 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of Midi Drums smile.gif IT's really liberating to be able to construct drum parts without actually having to stop what your doing and go recruit and record a drummer. Drummers though often can come up with very spiff beats using easy drummer so collaborating with a drummer using EZ drummer is a good idea but you can certainly do it all and get very good results. For example, the band PERIPHERY used EZ Drummer on their first record release.

Todd

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Apr 22 2013, 10:23 PM) *
so i figured out EZ drummer i dont know why i havent used this before its that easy to use!
im practicing gabs finnish power metal lesson and i orginally layed down a beat to practice it slow and in time. the one thing i like about this site so much is that when i set out to practice and learn something, alot of the times I end up learning what i started and gain new knowledge on something else cool.gif this is gabs lesson slowed down to 125 bpm so i can get it down right, there are some mistakes, still trying to get it down. i had alot of fun using ez drummer and trying to get creative. this is going to really help my with writing. biggrin.gif
didnt mean to buthcher the tune gab laugh.gif just experimenting smile.gif
https://soundcloud.com/zygas702-1/finish-power-metalslow

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 25 2013, 08:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (dcz702 @ Apr 24 2013, 05:21 PM) *
Thanks cosmin. I messed with it a little bit. I can see this becoming time consuming, but fun. I'm wondering if there is gear like maybe a akai drum pad that works with EZ drummer to use instead of using the keyboard?

Ahh, there certainly is wink.gif

I will share with you a thread in which this topic is widely discussed, having various examples and ideas shared:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=47331

+Quote Post
dcz702
Apr 25 2013, 08:07 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 25 2013, 07:29 AM) *
Ahh, there certainly is wink.gif

I will share with you a thread in which this topic is widely discussed, having various examples and ideas shared:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=47331

think im gonna grab this thing soon watched vids, i like it cause i can use sticks and attach a pedal, if anyone has a better suggestion or first hand experiance id love to hear some feedback. ive played drums in the past so i think this would be a good way to maybe gain some skills cause im using sticks and a pedal

This post has been edited by dcz702: Apr 25 2013, 08:07 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 25 2013, 11:43 PM
Those are spiff smile.gif You could also, for about the same money, get a full electronic kit. Here is one I was looking at for my own home studio. It's height adjustable, doesn't take up much room, easy to move, cymbals and pads, and pedals. About $250 online.

http://www.simmonsdrums.net/sdxpress/

It does sorta look like a toy or game controller due to the way it's built, and how small you can adjust it. It was around what I wanted to spend and would fit in a corner easily. I ended up getting an each cheaper set from ION but sold it to a buddy after I got quicker mouse clicking beats in and using a midi keyboard to put them in. I couldn't return it as it was a "no return" item off ebay. Try to get a return policy on whatever you get so in the event you stop using it you can take it back without having to sell it for far less.

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Apr 25 2013, 03:07 PM) *
think im gonna grab this thing soon watched vids, i like it cause i can use sticks and attach a pedal, if anyone has a better suggestion or first hand experiance id love to hear some feedback. ive played drums in the past so i think this would be a good way to maybe gain some skills cause im using sticks and a pedal

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 26 2013, 11:14 AM
Instructor
If you say you have had prior experience as a drummer, I think Todd's idea is a very good one smile.gif I knew about Millenium - as being a good quality budget friendly brand for e-drums. What sort of budget did you have in mind?

+Quote Post
dcz702
Apr 26 2013, 08:54 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 26 2013, 10:14 AM) *
If you say you have had prior experience as a drummer, I think Todd's idea is a very good one smile.gif I knew about Millenium - as being a good quality budget friendly brand for e-drums. What sort of budget did you have in mind?

i think the alesis controller is a perfect solution for me it will fite nicely on the side of my desktop and i will add the kick pedal and hi hat pedal. space is a issue maybe in the future ill go for some real drums. after i move into my house in the next year ill have a whole room for music and ill get some drums cool.gif

This post has been edited by dcz702: Apr 26 2013, 08:55 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 27 2013, 09:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (dcz702 @ Apr 26 2013, 07:54 PM) *
i think the alesis controller is a perfect solution for me it will fite nicely on the side of my desktop and i will add the kick pedal and hi hat pedal. space is a issue maybe in the future ill go for some real drums. after i move into my house in the next year ill have a whole room for music and ill get some drums cool.gif

Well, choose accordingly mate wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 12:05 AM