To The Extreme!
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 24 2011, 12:35 PM
GMC Founder
We constantly define things as extreme. First, check out Lian's new lesson, "Diabolic Black Metal", and then post a reply to today's forum topic.

What is your definition of "Extreme"? Can any genre be extreme?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Feb 24 2011, 01:31 PM
GMC:er
Extreme -> Hardcore PunkRock oldSchool the roots of all Thrash >:o

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Feb 24 2011, 02:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 24 2011, 12:35 PM) *
What is your definition of "Extreme"? Can any genre be extreme?

I often think of speed when I hear the word extreme.
Unfortunately there is some times too vast an ocean of noise in some extreme metal bands.
And then there songs just become extremely annoying.

Btw I don't think Lians lesson is annoying

--------------------

+Quote Post
K1R
Feb 24 2011, 02:30 PM
Learning Rock Star
Extremely fast! Extremely brutal smile.gif

--------------------

Guitar Altamira M01D, Samick Royale 3, Musima Lead Star 1
Effects Boss ME-25
Amp Stagg 40 GA DSP
DAW SONAR LE

YouTube | Facebook | Last.fm
“One day you pick up the guitar and you feel like a great master, and the next day you feel like a fool. It’s because we’re different every day, but the guitar is always the same…beautiful.” ~ Tommy Emmanuel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have a whole collection of musical ideas and thoughts that you’ve accumulated through your musical history plus all the musical history of the whole world and it’s all in your subconscious and you draw upon it when you play” ~ Joe Pass

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 24 2011, 03:05 PM
Instructor
Good question and one that will have extreme metal fans arguing for decades to come ! wink.gif

I don't know how I'd define it but I'd probably hand somebody a copy of Satyricon's Rebel Extravaganza album ! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 24 2011, 03:41 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
To me "extreme" (metal) would be something played with loads of harsh distortion and with complicate ultra-fast riffing patterns and complex solos in between. Oh, and Not melodic at all.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 24 2011, 06:27 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Very good question. I think of extreme as something being overdone. Meaning too many notes, very busy drum beat, bass line that is often combined with speed. Also too many sounds, effects etc etc.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Feb 24 2011, 06:32 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Fran @ Feb 24 2011, 02:41 PM) *
To me "extreme" (metal) would be something played with loads of harsh distortion and with complicate ultra-fast riffing patterns and complex solos in between. Oh, and Not melodic at all.

This Day We Fight - Megadeth?

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Feb 25 2011, 03:04 AM
Instructor
This is extreme to me:

also this is extremely technical, at least to me it is:

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 25 2011, 04:14 AM
Learning Roadie
Extreme

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:43 PM