Bands / Drugs
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 16 2011, 01:05 PM
GMC Founder
Drug addiction has overpowered many bands. Which band has suffered the greatest lose due to drug addiction in your opinion?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 16 2011, 01:56 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 16 2011, 01:05 PM) *
Drug addiction has overpowered many bands. Which band has suffered the greatest lose due to drug addiction in your opinion?

hendrix

I think i'am going to answer hendrix to every question this week laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Jan 16 2011, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
Alice in Chains

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Jan 16 2011, 02:36 PM
GMC Coordinator & Instructor
Pantera... sad.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

Check out my Personal Board

+Quote Post
Bluesberry
Jan 16 2011, 03:11 PM
Learning Roadie
It's not really a matter of comparison, but besides the already mentioned bands I'd say Nirvana.

By the way, what do you people think about drugs and music? If we were to consider a situation where using drugs (alcohol included) hasn't become an addiction, do you believe it can affect the band's music either positively or negatively? By this I mean to close out the option "negatively, because drug addiction is a problem" argument - we all know people can drink without becoming alcoholics etc. Can we draw such lines at all? Many famous musicians and bands (Doors, Pink Floyd, Santana...) have been inspired by drugs - what kind of an effect can it have, or does it affect at all?

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jan 16 2011, 03:34 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I don't like the idea of being inspired by something that puts you in an artificial and temporary state of mind, It doesn't feel honest in a way. Besides the fact that no one can be high and maintain an outward appearance of intelligence, If you honestly need a drug or other substance in order to write music, then your just lazy in my opinion.

Sure, I listen to some music where I know the musicians were on drugs when they wrote music, and to a degree I have less respect for them for that (and in some cases, I plain don't like the music), but I honestly believe they could of written something just as good if they just took the time to do it without drugs. Plus, since it kills a lot of people off, whats the good in the first place? Why make something temporary when it could last so much longer?

I know it has an effect, I unfortunately come from a family where drugs have hurt a lot of people, and in some cases gotten them killed. I can personally vouch that the universe and music would just be better without them.

EDIT

Sorry, It got kind of personal there at the end laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Jan 16 2011, 04:00 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Drugs "helped" in creating much good music that wouldn't be created otherwise. Also I don't think drugs alone can kill anyone. Knifes are much more lethal than drugs, yet people don't stab themselves or each other all the time. Most probably a person that has a "drug problem", had or would have another problem anyway.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jan 16 2011, 04:53 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I'd say Nirvana (if we wanna blame Kurt's death exclusively on drugs...which we shouldn't) and the Doors.
As for what The Uncreator said:
As I can tell by experience now that feelings or emotions (good and bad ones) really burst your creativity to another level. I don't have any experience with drugs at all, but isn't the point of taking them to reach another state of conciousness, just like when you are in love or full of joy or in deep sorrow or anger?
My point is, I think some people can write better music when thy are not "down to earth" emotionally...and if they need drugs to reach another state of conciousness, it's their decision.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be pro-drugs here, as I know how bad they are in most cases, but I wouldn't have less respect for someone who wrote a great song under the influence of drugs.
I hope everyone gets my point, I'm not trying to offend anyone.
Christian

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jan 16 2011, 09:18 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Drugs and alcohol aren't required to write good music, but does that mean drugs and alcohol can't inspire good music? Hardly. Drugs change the way the mind works, and this change in mental functions can produce interesting results that can never be achieved without them. Most of the good music from the 60's was drug fueled, and without those drugs I don't think the music would've been the same.

Now that that has been established, I don't think heavy and/or long term drug use is beneficial in any way. In fact, it almost always proves to have devastating consequences. Just about every single musician that was famous for hard drug/alcohol use has either burnt out or died, with the exception of Kieth Richards biggrin.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jan 16 2011, 09:25 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jan 16 2011, 08:34 AM) *
I don't like the idea of being inspired by something that puts you in an artificial and temporary state of mind, It doesn't feel honest in a way. Besides the fact that no one can be high and maintain an outward appearance of intelligence, If you honestly need a drug or other substance in order to write music, then your just lazy in my opinion.

Sure, I listen to some music where I know the musicians were on drugs when they wrote music, and to a degree I have less respect for them for that (and in some cases, I plain don't like the music), but I honestly believe they could of written something just as good if they just took the time to do it without drugs. Plus, since it kills a lot of people off, whats the good in the first place? Why make something temporary when it could last so much longer?

I know it has an effect, I unfortunately come from a family where drugs have hurt a lot of people, and in some cases gotten them killed. I can personally vouch that the universe and music would just be better without them.

EDIT

Sorry, It got kind of personal there at the end laugh.gif

Very well said, imo wink.gif I don't agree with drugs. It's not good for the body.

+Quote Post
Bluesberry
Jan 16 2011, 10:30 PM
Learning Roadie
To sum something up, my personal opinion is that great music can always be made without any kind of an "artificial high" - though the idea of artificiality is quite interesting here, since our brain produces "drugs" on its own, too. For example, when listening to music or having sex. And on the other hand, even if the emotions were created artificially, they are real emotions and real thoughts nonetheless. Doesn't make them any less meaningful to me.

Drugs can give ideas and new approaches, but that doesn't mean those approaches can't be reached without them. Drugs can help being artistic, but they must never be the only way. That's the wrong way to look at things. "Say know to drug use, say no to drug abuse."

This post has been edited by Kristian Hyvarinen: Jan 16 2011, 10:32 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 16 2011, 11:35 PM
GMC:er
I thought id toss in SUBLIME as a pretty big loss for music in general. Not a band full of great musicians by any stretch, but the lead singer was arguably a great songwriter cut down by his heroin addiction. Oddly enough, he started doing heroin as an "experiment" because his music idols all used heroin. That's maybe the saddest part. A musician thinking they have to use drugs to make great music because their heros used drugs and made great music. The assumption of a causal relationship there is just tragic.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 17 2011, 09:14 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hillel Slovak from RHCP for example. He was so young and talented. sad.gif But so many bands lost their members to drugs. I think drugs come with money and easy access. I don't think they make you any more creative or show you a new way or as so many think - enable you to do anything easier/faster/better then you would normally do.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 18 2011, 12:21 AM
Instructor
It's hard to say really, but all the musicians that used drugs a lot suffered one way or another.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 18 2011, 03:09 PM
Instructor
Yeah, it's sad to see talented musicians ruin it all for drugs.

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Bluesberry
Jan 18 2011, 03:22 PM
Learning Roadie
I too think it is very sad that drugs have been associated strongly with rock based music. All this "live fast, die young" stuff is just so pointless... we've lost many great musicians because of that. Nothing beautiful in it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:13 PM