How Play Exactly E.g 8 Notes In A Row
Christophe
Oct 17 2009, 12:28 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hey GMCers,

I wanted to know how you can play for instance 8 notes in a row, I mean at pretty high speed, I've problem with this.
I can't play exactly 8 notes, I can't count and play at the same time ! mad.gif I often play 6 notes or 7 or more than 8 etc...
Please don't tell me I should use a metronome because I still can't play with it (I really don't understand how to play with it !!)
Thanks a lot in advance smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear : ESP LTD MH-401QM ; Zoom G2.1Nu ; Blackstar HT-5 Preamp ; Blackstar HT-112 Speaker;
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 17 2009, 12:34 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hello,

You have to use the metronome. hehe smile.gif But I can assure you that using metronome is actually very easy and may look intimidating at first if you don't know how.

Here is a lesson that will help you with using the metronome:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/how-to-use-a-metronome.htm

For 8th notes you need to play two notes per metronome click basically. You should start VERY slowly where you will be able to count the beats and notes and then gradually increase your speed.
The sooner you start working with the metronome - the better!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Artemus
Oct 17 2009, 12:48 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 17 2009, 12:34 PM) *
The sooner you start working with the metronome - the better!

Absolutely, it's not something to fear or loathe but rather to embrace and cherish. The key is to the grouping of notes though, as Bogdan says, make each click worth two notes for starters. Once you've mastered that you can start grouping together more notes and will develop a natural sense of rhythm.
Together with the metronome you could try accenting the first note of whichever grouping you decide. For example
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 for grouping of two, or
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 for groupings of four

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Oct 17 2009, 12:53 PM
GMC:er
Start with quarter notes, make sure every note you play is exactly on the click.
Once you got that down, go along and try 8th notes, same way, then 16th, then triplets, then 16th triplets, then whatever you want smile.gif

Just start at any desired speed, and make sure you play it cleanly. You don't have to start at 60 bpm quarter notes, you can just set the metronome at 200 bpm if that is your comfertable speed. Play a scale, and use AP/legato/economy picking and you'll be training 3 things at once and improving like a madman !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Skalde
Oct 17 2009, 01:29 PM
Learning Roadie
If you want to play really fast you don't have to count the notes. You will feel when it is right, but to get this feeling you have to practice with the metronome. There is no way to avoid it. If you suffer of metromphobia you can use a simple drum pattern. It makes practising a lot more fun

This post has been edited by Skalde: Oct 17 2009, 01:32 PM

+Quote Post
Christophe
Oct 17 2009, 01:32 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
ok, thanks guys

I saw Kris's lesson about how to use a metronome.

I tried with his slow BPM tracks and I succeeded play quarter notes at 50, 60, 70 BPM, I found it easy I also tryed 8th notes with 50 BPM easy as well, I think my problem is at high speed so I'm gonna try 60 BPM with triplets notes :S
@djohn : I don't know any scale or pattern or whatever you call licks.. ^^' So I'm gonna do just 5-7 5-7 5-7 7-9 7-9 etc..

Thanks for advices smile.gif

NB : Yeah I agree with you Skalde, drums are better for me I think smile.gif

PS : Oh and I wanted to know how do you play a 8th with a dot hmm ? :/

This post has been edited by Christophe: Oct 17 2009, 01:36 PM

--------------------
Gear : ESP LTD MH-401QM ; Zoom G2.1Nu ; Blackstar HT-5 Preamp ; Blackstar HT-112 Speaker;

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Oct 17 2009, 02:45 PM
8th with dots are harder. Dots mean the note duration get enlengthened by a half. So your 8th note gets a 16th added.

You could count them like 16th notes, and only strum a note every three counts.
1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4

The fat numbers represent the metronome beat, where the cursif(?) are where play the next note.
So the notes are played on 1, then on 4, then on 3, then on 2, and again on 1.

But I believe this to be very tricky stuff, and think you should start with 16th, then triplets, and 16th triplets.

Oh and I can give you a scalar pattern to practice ! Here's A minor pentatonic in first position, it's a basic scale beginner guitarist will learn quickly :

e|---------------------5-8-|
B|------------------5-8----|
G|--------------5-7--------|
D|----------5-7------------|
A|------5-7----------------|
E|--5-8--------------------|

This post has been edited by djohnneay: Oct 17 2009, 03:04 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Braer
Oct 17 2009, 11:00 PM
what do you do if you have a chop with 11, 9, 7, or 5 notes?

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 17 2009, 11:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Braer @ Oct 18 2009, 12:00 AM) *
what do you do if you have a chop with 11, 9, 7, or 5 notes?

People use word or sentences with equal number of parts to count those odd groupings.
But be aware, not all of those groupings are planned.
Yngwie Malmsteen per example, you'll find lots of odd grouping in his song tabs
but the truth is that he has no clue what timing he plays,
those are just random runs played by feel and not by calculator. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Oxac
Oct 17 2009, 11:30 PM
@braer. It Depends.

To me, a lick consists of three elements (mostly). Melody, Harmony and Time.

The melody and harmony of the lick can be the same, but depending on the time the lick will differ.

If you have a lick with five notes you can play that in a lot of different ways.

Let's say we have C D E F G acsending as our lick that we're going to loop.

We can play all of them quarter notes, meaning that the first time we start on One, the second time the lick starts on Two, the third time the lick starts on Three, fourth time on Four, Fifth time on One.

We can do it like this with any duration, half notes, 8th notes, triplets etc.

We can play it with half note quintuplets meaning that we'll start on on the First beat of every bar.

We can play it quarter , quarter, triplet, triplet, triplet. Quarter, triplet triplet triplet Quarter. Basically any combo like that.

So it really really depends on how you phrase it.

Half note Quintuplets is hard to count because you have to play five notes in the same time as four.

I advise you not to try quintuplets and harder timing before you've nailed the basics. It's like building the roof on a non existing house.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Braer
Oct 17 2009, 11:34 PM
hhmm, i am practising a malmsteen run atm, should i pratice it without metronome then?

yes, but its really hard to play fast with quarter notes, gotta play like 300bpm, ok maby not that fast...but you get my point

This post has been edited by Braer: Oct 17 2009, 11:34 PM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 17 2009, 11:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Braer @ Oct 18 2009, 12:34 AM) *
hhmm, i am practising a malmsteen run atm, should i pratice it without metronome then?

yes, but its really hard to play fast with quarter notes, gotta play like 300bpm, ok maby not that fast...but you get my point

You can use metronome or drum beat, doesn't matter.
The thing is that you don't have to pay that much attention was it 11, 9 or whatever.
What Yngwie does is that he has fixed spots time wise for first and last note in a run,
that might be first beat in a bar per example.
All note in between are placed like "compressed by accident", not sure how to describe.
I'm not talking about ALL Yngwies runs tho, some ARE planned and have fixed timing
but most of them (in solos) are without fixed timing.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Oct 20 2009, 12:27 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Oct 18 2009, 12:41 AM) *
You can use metronome or drum beat, doesn't matter.
The thing is that you don't have to pay that much attention was it 11, 9 or whatever.
What Yngwie does is that he has fixed spots time wise for first and last note in a run,
that might be first beat in a bar per example.
All note in between are placed like "compressed by accident", not sure how to describe.
I'm not talking about ALL Yngwies runs tho, some ARE planned and have fixed timing
but most of them (in solos) are without fixed timing.

True smile.gif And it still works somehow. Anybody that wants to work on his timing should for sure use a metronom, there is no way of working around it, and speed just takes time and a lot of practice.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 21 2009, 12:16 PM
Instructor
Metronome and/or drum beat is the way to go!
Brake down long run into shorter segments and work your way up. I would encourage you to use the licks you learn in your improvising to extend your vocabulary. Another great thing to do would be to edit those licks and create as much variety from them as possible.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:59 AM