Need Good Tips On Headphones, For both recording and outside listening
Jakub Luptovec
Jun 11 2009, 10:30 AM
Learning Tone Guru
My mom just asked me, what will I want for 19th birthday and I thought I might get myself some neat, good sounding and comfortable headphones.

Problem is, I dont have any experience in this field regarding types, specs and brands. Any guess what should I look for?

What I want from them:
1) Good sound - thats obvious I guess:D Ranging from death metal to classical music
2) Comfort - both when sitting, walking or lying on bed, they shouldnt look to awkward as well
I dont know if this exists but...3) Some good cable solution - I need long cable for recording etc.. and shorter cable for casual wearing outside. Does something like this exist?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 11 2009, 03:35 PM
Instructor
Hmm, touch choice mate, if you want to use the for both outside and inside.. I would possibly recommend something from Sehnheiser, AKG or Bose, they are all great.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 11 2009, 08:54 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I'm happy with my AKG 240 studio. Discontinues but stores often still have them in stock. Doesn't feel ther are on your head, very comfortable.

+Quote Post
synfection
Jun 16 2009, 11:54 AM
Learning Roadie
http://www.mymemory.co.uk/DJ-and-Studio-He...D595-Headphones

These are the ones i got. i use them all the time in doors and out smile.gif very good headphones

--------------------
[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"][/font]

Esp Ltd Ec - 400
line 6 Spider III

+Quote Post
midnight
Jun 19 2009, 06:06 AM
GMC:er
I'd like to hear some opinions on this too.

I just bought some Sennheiser HD595's and although they sound very detailed and great for mellow to light rock, they sound a little mellow...dark, for heavy rock and metal. They also sound kind of dark and boomy when played through my GNX4 compared to my other Sennheiser HD 497's.

Anyway, what does everyone use for everyday listening, jamming, whatever?

Jakub, If you are looking for headphones to wear outside, you're probably looking for some good earbuds...the Sennheiser 595's and AKG's mentioned are big for outside the house. My Sennheiser HD497's are ok sized headphones for outdoor use...they're pretty decent, made of light plastic.

Edit: Synfection, I just noticed you have the phones I just bought. They don't sound too layed back and mellow to you listeneing to heavy music? Maybe I just need to get used to them...do you use a headphone amp?

This post has been edited by midnight: Jun 19 2009, 06:10 AM

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jun 19 2009, 06:51 AM
Learning Tone Master
I use AKG 240 for studio and Koss porta-pro for outdoor, if you don't need a "closed" earphone, check out the KOSS, I believe that they are the best sounding portable earphones so far...

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Stephane Lucarel...
Jun 19 2009, 10:51 AM
Instructor
I used AKG 240 too : it's a "standard" in lot of recording studio.
Take a look at Sennheiser & Audio-Technica, they do very good headphones.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gus
Jun 19 2009, 04:58 PM
GMC:er
I absolutely recommend my current headphone solutions:

Casual hearing: Koss porta-pro. It's lightweight and has an amazing sound. And it is way more comfortable than inside ear plugs. I use it every day. Actually, I saw several times professional musicians using it on stage (cause it is so lightweight and good sounding it makes a perfect phone for a ear monitor, even being closed). After 2 years of excessive (not so gently) use I got the chord broken. I bought a new one as soon as I could.

Studio: AKG K271 MKII. I went to the music store to buy a good phone of fairly price, cause I wanted quite practice with my POD X3 live. I tried some cheaper sehnheiser, when the guy from the store said "just check this out", and gave me the AKG K271 MKII. Well it blowed my mind, giving a total new dimension on the sound. I had to spend almost twice I planned in the beginning. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Gus: Jun 19 2009, 05:01 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 19 2009, 11:55 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I have Sennheiser HD465. They are pretty good and comfy.This is a tough choice.Maybe you should go to a store and try different headphones (if they have them plugged in), so you can choose one sound and comfort wise.

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jun 19 2009, 11:56 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:03 PM