Android Tablet, Anybody else have an Android Tablet?
Todd Simpson
Jun 5 2011, 10:51 AM
GMC:er
I recently purchased and ANDROID based TABLET device. So far, I"m just not that impressed with ANDROID. Anybody have a Android Tablet or any other tablet device that they like? If I get zero replies on this, I"ll take that as NO smile.gif
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 5 2011, 07:21 PM
Instructor
Well there are two strong OS for mobile platforms today, iOS and Android, and they are based on very different concepts. Android is Google's product, and it is designed to be free, while iOS is developed specifically for Apple's products, and it is heavily controlled by Apple.

Android is much more customizable OS, with ability to adapt to many different configurations of hardware/platforms, while iOS is Apple-only. This will eventually lead to Android becoming dominant OS for mobile platforms (unless Apple expands line of mobile products biggrin.gif ). Having said that, Apple is not a small player, having large percent of the market by just having one mobile phone, and one mobile pad as products.

I guess people who are using Google services will have bigger use of Android, since it integrates Google services very good, and people who are in the Apple section, will - well use iOS and nothing else. biggrin.gif

iOS does provide better experience, and is more elegant for use. It's a constant battle, I don't think there is a win-win situation smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jun 5 2011, 07:22 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
carminemarotta
Jun 5 2011, 08:33 PM
I do not have any tablet but replaced my iPhone3 with HTC Sensation which runs Android and I am enjoying it a lot.

Carmine

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 6 2011, 11:01 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I don't have any tablet, but I'm interested in hearing opinions about the matter, since the galaxy tab is catching my eye lately.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 7 2011, 09:16 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 5 2011, 01:21 PM) *
Well there are two strong OS for mobile platforms today, iOS and Android, and they are based on very different concepts. Android is Google's product, and it is designed to be free, while iOS is developed specifically for Apple's products, and it is heavily controlled by Apple.

Android is much more customizable OS, with ability to adapt to many different configurations of hardware/platforms, while iOS is Apple-only. This will eventually lead to Android becoming dominant OS for mobile platforms (unless Apple expands line of mobile products biggrin.gif ). Having said that, Apple is not a small player, having large percent of the market by just having one mobile phone, and one mobile pad as products.

I guess people who are using Google services will have bigger use of Android, since it integrates Google services very good, and people who are in the Apple section, will - well use iOS and nothing else. biggrin.gif

iOS does provide better experience, and is more elegant for use. It's a constant battle, I don't think there is a win-win situation smile.gif

You pretty much summed it up right there smile.gif As I'm new to android I"m still in the "breaking in" phase. I've had my IOS device for a few years and recently upgraded to an iPhone4 which will spoil you pretty bad in terms of user experience/interface. My android device is running an older compile of android and has a proprietary "shop" for apps which is getting in the way a bit.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 14 2011, 05:26 PM
More on ANDROID TABLET

Being able to browse youtube on the tablet is handy smile.gif However, so far, it won't do "Video Playlists" so it's one video at a time, stop, one more, stop, etc. Not a huge deal, but I"m a big fan of playlists.

The good news is, the video quality is quite good wink.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gary
Jun 15 2011, 06:30 AM
Todd,

Is that a Xoom? I just returned an Ipad and am going to look at the Xoom very close. I have been using Android based phones for awhile.. I currently have a Droid X and I absolutely love it.

For me the biggest draw back to Apple products in there inablity to play Flash videos..(no GMC vids on Ipad). I found many videos on the web did not play on the Ipad and this was the primary reason I decided to return it. I also found the inablility to customize Apple products restrictive, and their overall attitude to be a bit stiffling (having to put in a credit card no. just to turn on the Ipad is a bit much in my view).

There is no doubt the app store for Apple is ahead in content, especially for the tablets, however it should be ahead as they had a huge head start. Adroid development and usage in running at break neck speed and gaining market share everyday.. Android phones are already outselling the Iphone here in the States. With all the different companies using Android / Honeycomb I think Apple has their work cut out for em..trying and stave off competition from multiple companies who are designing some really impressive stuff.

Not much help here and don't want to come off as a cheerleader for Android.. both systems have their plusses and minues and it almost gets down to personal choice. For me life without Flash was frustrating.

Edit.. spelling

Gary

This post has been edited by Gary: Jun 16 2011, 04:51 AM

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 15 2011, 10:48 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (Gary @ Jun 15 2011, 07:30 AM) *
For me life without Flash was frustrating.

I hear you.
I was looking for a something small to read marvel comics online, and the lack of flash made the ipad useless for me in that regard, plus it cost 600€... so I went and bought a netbook for 230€, and voilá!, problem solved... oh well.

Considering getting some android based tablet in the future, though I'm not in a hurry.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jun 16 2011, 12:01 AM
Hey Todd, you said you can't get the playlist to run in youtube, is that via website or the app? Because on my Droid X it runs playlists.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jun 16 2011, 03:21 AM
My XOOM works great. So does my htc evo 4g from last summer. I wouldn't trade them for anything! The batteries last all week in the xoom and two days in the evo; they're connected to everything when I want them to be. The hardware quality is first rate and they're built like tanks.

The are two issues with android as an open system:

1. It's very easy for manufacturers to throw together cheap high-failure hardware.
2. It's very easy for software vendors to throw together cheap untested and incompatible apps.

Everything else about it is great. So far I have stayed away from both of those items above, and it's the most amazing OS I've ever developed on (so far). Very few of the vendors are really taking full advantage of the power these devices have within.

Just stay away from cheap hardware (easy) and poorly written apps (less easy if you're not in the biz, I suspect). Everything I've tried has worked very well right out of the box.

edit: clarified the battery life since I'm speaking of two devices instead of just one.

This post has been edited by jafomatic: Jun 16 2011, 03:42 AM

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 16 2011, 03:36 AM
QUOTE (Gary @ Jun 15 2011, 12:30 AM) *
Todd,

Is that a Zoom? I just returned an Ipad and am going to look at the Zoom very close. I have been using Android based phones for awhile.. I currently have a Droid X and I absolutely love it.

For me the biggest draw back to Apple products in there inablity to play Flash videos..(no GMC vids on Ipad). I found that many videos just did not play on the Ipad and this was the primary reason I decided to return it. I also find the inablility to customize Apple products restrictive, and their overall attitude to be a bit stiffling (having to put in a credit card no. just to turn on the ipad is a bit much in my view).

There is no doubt the app store for Apple is way ahead in content, especially for the tablets, however it should be ahead as they ad a huge head start. Adroid development and usage in running at break neck speed and gaining market share everyday.. already outselling Iphone here in the states. With all the different companies using Android / Honeycomb I think that Apple has their work cut out for em..trying and stave off competition from multiple companies who are designing some really impressive stuff.

Not much help here and don't want to come off as a cheerleader for Android.. both systems have their plusses and minues and it almost gets down to personal choice. For me life without Flash was frustrating.

Gary

This is a CHEEEEAAAAPPPP Coby Kyros. Very "Entry Level" it suffers badly from "Android Lag" and runs a semi proprietary version of Android that won't run some Android apps. I just wanted to try out an android device without going crazy on the price so this seemed "close enough". I still have it. It's just taking a bit to get used to. I can safely say, get a REAL android tablet. NOT the Kyros.

QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jun 15 2011, 06:01 PM) *
Hey Todd, you said you can't get the playlist to run in youtube, is that via website or the app? Because on my Droid X it runs playlists.

I think it's down to the LAME build version of Android that is particular to this unit. The KYROS. Or as I like to call it, KRAPOS. Come to find out, it doesn't run full blown Android and it has it's own mini app store. But it was only about a hundred bux U.S. So you get what you pay for.

QUOTE (Fran @ Jun 6 2011, 05:01 AM) *
I don't have any tablet, but I'm interested in hearing opinions about the matter, since the galaxy tab is catching my eye lately.

The Galaxy and Xoom and such are nice units. They cost about five times what this one does. This was just a "Beater" to give Android a go for curiosity sake.

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jun 16 2011, 03:43 AM
Regarding custom app shops, I wouldn't recommend using those if you can avoid it. The real one lets you queue up installation from any browser and shows your device capabilities if you've configured them properly with a google account.

http://market.android.com

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jun 17 2011, 02:34 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 15 2011, 10:36 PM) *
I think it's down to the LAME build version of Android that is particular to this unit. The KYROS. Or as I like to call it, KRAPOS. Come to find out, it doesn't run full blown Android and it has it's own mini app store. But it was only about a hundred bux U.S. So you get what you pay for.

Still thats a good deal on something to learn off of to see if you would use it or just let it collect dust.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:56 PM