11 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Rock Ballad Style Collaboration - Video Comments, Emir's first student collaboration
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 30 2009, 04:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey again Emir,

Just got home now, so will listen to your comments again and write my reply meanwhile.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 30 2009, 04:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ztevie @ Jan 30 2009, 02:51 PM) *
I get very impressed to hear someone who played guitar only 1 year,

Yes, Berko is the man smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
berko
Jan 30 2009, 04:32 PM
GMC:er
YESS! Now that all groups are up and rocking (I know it's been up for quite a while...) I just wanted to pop in again to watch some newer vids (mine included when Emir Hot speaks to Mr. berko laugh.gif <--- I liked that).

I'm aware that this is hell lot of a job and that many fellow GMCers in the last group have been paralyzed by excitement for the last 2 days... I hope everyone can make it until their turn wink.gif

So much great takes and great vids from Emir I still can't believe what's happening here in this thread!! IMO this is pure history for GMC and I can imagine that a decade later this whole event will be taught by Mr. Cockburn with his battered JEM in his lap in a GMC history-tutorial. laugh.gif

So keep it up Emir and everyone! I can't wait to see all vids shining and ready cool.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 30 2009, 04:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (enforcer @ Jan 30 2009, 01:31 PM) *
Is it me or am I the one with the worst take so far? laugh.gif

I have just seen you were talking to me in chat window but I was busy here with recording comments. Sorry I missed it.

There is really no the worst take. Every take has something great about itself. I think you are a very good player. Your ideas for music are great. When you have everything perfect (ideas, technique, recording etc...) then I can say PERFECT and still even if everything is perfect there is really no the worst take smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 30 2009, 04:51 PM
Learning Rock Star
Reply to Emir's comments:

Kah-eh-lum-a-mid-ten-dum. Doesn't really mean anything to me, though your not the first one having a hard time pronouncing it - even I wouldn't go as far as to do that myself. It's really Caelum Amittendum, which is latin, a song title meaning "at the loss of heaven" or "the loss of heaven".

I'm not sure I'm that much of an experienced player, I geuss mentally I'm always trying to improve, but technique-wise and even the mental part of playing guitar as well, is lacking for me. I simply don't practice enough (read; I only pick up my guitar to jam a little or try to come up with new riffs/licks/ideas, which have been failing me the last two years - you can read about that somewhere else on the forum, I think.). So my only concentrated hours working with the guitar is usually just with the collaboration and whenever I feel like playing a few licks from lessons (just yesterday I was playing through your alternate picking lesson, but only up to about 50% of the speed...). I also started out with Muris' Extreme Neo Classic, which I knew was way over my head, but got that up to a speed that I felt was a good archivement, but then I haven't returned to it since. That's really one of my problems: discipline, consistency in practicing and practicing concentrated whenever practicing. I have gained much in my 7 months at GMC though. Especially at bending and vibrato. How did those two sound in the take, by the way?

Another thing is, which has actually become an obstruction in my learning process, as I don't take advantage of it. This could even be applied to when I went school as well. I have a very easy time learning new things, which either interest me, seems logical, seem reasonable or could just be more general stuff (of course I can't learn quantum physics in a day, but I think you get my point). Always had an easy time in school - took me half the time to do things the others used much longer at. In my later years, I've just become less disciplined than I once was, which means that I feel that once I've played or practiced something a few times, I'm comfortable at it. At some things I might be, but I often find myself thinking: "what if I had spent 30 minutes more on this instead of just playing some random sweep picking for 3 minutes". Of course I wouldn't gain 10 times as much, but I'm often told that I'm not taking advantage of my talent (in my later years in school I was always told that too), and I can agree upon that, but even though I sometimes regret it, I never have or usually don't feel the need to - except here on the guitar part, where it just seems my discipline escapes me and either my TV, PS3 or other computer stuff seems to shout out to me as well. The latter a stupid excuse, but I want to have time for those fun things too, but often find they then consume the entire day and by bedtime I've only then played 10 minutes guitar.

On to the next thing in the video:
I was very aware of some of the things not being exactly on the spot. I think I need to spend more time on collabs, instead of just 1-1½ hour right before the deadline. The bends in the start of the second part was not meant to be like that, but I had been through 100 takes and just said to myself: "Now you just go for the next one.". I know that's not really a good way to approach these things. This also results in the take not being 100% as I want it to be (which is difficult, but I guess in most times 90% would do).

I have some problems with timing on faster runs, which I've known for ages, and which is one of those technical sides as well. I understand the theory, have the lessons etc. to learn it, I just need to put more effort in it. I geuss that when I don't practice it with a metronome etc. it is still something that will come with time and experience (like through recording takes for collabs etc), but it takes a lot longer, and will also result in more criticism. I don't know why I've chosen that road and I don't know why I ain't changing it, but I geuss it comes down to my lack of practice routine discipline again.

Thanks for the comment on the sound, though I geuss credit should go to Muris - used his settings found at the forum for base and then tweaked it a bit.

I know what you mean about the weak and strong parts, actually. I think it's also an experience problem and maybe even confidence problem. The first part actually sounded a lot different in the beginning, but I kept developing it through the takes I did, ending up with what I did. I geuss if I had started some days before the deadline, I could have developed all the other parts as well. That's easy to say now though. When the calender is incorporated at GMC I'll make constant annoying pop ups telling me to start recording 3 days before the deadline! tongue.gif

About the three hits:
I had no idea they were there! Hahaha. I hear it now though, and I think it may well be the palm of my right hand as I moved it up the neck or something for the tapping.
What I dislike about the tapping is that I don't end it on the first beat of the bar.

Funny thing about the sound though. As I play it hear on my computer, and while recording my guitar sounds loud and clear on the backing track, when together maybe the guitar sound was a little bit lower, but nothing to noticable. I'll give you a screen shot on the ins at my soundcards mixer. They are quite turned up, because otherwise it's waaay to low, even though the volume on my Pandora PX4D is turned all the way up to 10. It is a bit weird, and I don't know if there is any other way to cope with it than what I've done.

When I recorded it in Audacity it did seem low compared to the backing track, but when listening to the take it seemed about on par. Not sure what that is all about. smile.gif

I did feel a little bummed out on the last part being like it was when I sent it in. The first couple of slow notes was really un-interesting to me, but I had no other ideas coming to me at that moment. So I totally see what you're saying on this.

I hope you have the time to reply to this too when you're all done with all the video comments.

Thanks for the criticism and compliments, Emir! It was truly a joy!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 30 2009, 04:59 PM
Instructor
Hi Caelumamittendum smile.gif

You are now in chat so I'll tell you there

-----------------------------------

for Monte:

Sorry I ran out of tape on the camera in the end smile.gif I wanted to say "I hope you'll be back next month" smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Dexxter
Jan 30 2009, 05:02 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Hey Emir... Thanks a lot! I'm so happy right now! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

About tremolo-bar. I mixed the tremolo and bending. The part you meantioned I think was bending and I was aware when I posted the take that those dives wasn't 100% and that I accidentaly touched the tremolo bar when I landed on one note. But the rest went decently good and I didn't have more time, so I left it.

About the fast run. Yeah, I mixed alternate picking and legato, because the fastest stuff is like 30 bpm over my picking speed, but I could somewhat get it with legato. But it still wasn't clean enough, but I will always keep on practicing.

And that dorian note. I mostly just play what I hear in my mind. I think it sounds nice tho. I don't analyze the chord progression notewise at all, just listens to it, so I didn't have any clue that you were playing an F# or anything. But I have learned from others comments that this can be a good thing to do. To keep it more interesting.

And you can be sure that I will be in your collaboration next month and after that also. I think this was the funniest collab to participate in, your comments are so helpful and a really good mentor and as someone else said (sorry, don't remember who) it feels almost as a private lesson with you talking instead of me reading. Keep on doing collabs because I think you are doing a GREAT job. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Dexxter: Jan 30 2009, 05:09 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 30 2009, 05:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dexxter @ Jan 30 2009, 04:02 PM) *
Hey Emir... Thanks a lot! I'm so happy right now! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

About tremolo-bar. I mixed the tremolo and bending. The part you meantioned I think was bending and I was aware when I posted the take that those dives wasn't 100% and that I accidentaly touched the tremolo bar when I landed on one note. But the rest went decently good and I didn't have more time, so I left it.

About the fast run. Yeah, I mixed alternate picking and legato, because the fastest stuff is like 30 bpm over my picking speed, but I could somewhat get it with legato. But it still wasn't clean enough, but I will always keep on practicing.

And that dorian note. I mostly just play what I hear in my mind. I think it sounds nice tho. I don't analyze the chord progression notewise at all, just listens to it, so I didn't have any clue that you were playing an F# or anything. But I have learned from others comments that this can be a good thing to do. To keep it more interesting.

And you can be sure that I will be in your collaboration next month and after that also. I think this was the funniest collab to participate in, your comments are so helpful and a really good mentor and as someone else said (sorry, don't remember who) it feels almost as a private lesson with you talking instead of me reading. Keep on doing collabs because I think you are doing a GREAT job. smile.gif

Thanks Dexxter, I am glad if I could help. About the dorian note, if you like it, just leave it there and it's ok smile.gif I told you that in the video as well. You are a very good player mate

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Dexxter
Jan 30 2009, 05:30 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Jan 30 2009, 05:13 PM) *
Thanks Dexxter, I am glad if I could help. About the dorian note, if you like it, just leave it there and it's ok smile.gif I told you that in the video as well. You are a very good player mate

Yeah, I know you told me that, but I just mentioned it smile.gif
Thanks again! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 30 2009, 06:25 PM
Instructor
OrganisedConfusion is uploaded smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jan 30 2009, 07:00 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Jan 30 2009, 04:59 PM) *
-----------------------------------

for Monte:

Sorry I ran out of tape on the camera in the end smile.gif I wanted to say "I hope you'll be back next month" smile.gif

Hi Emir,
Thank you so much for your comments on my take. They were really helpful and really mean a lot coming from a player of your caliber. You mentioned that my arpeggios seem to use odd groupings and that is very true. In my early days I tried to learn a lot of EVH solos and it seems like he used a lot of quintuplets so that is something that has stuck in my playing. laugh.gif laugh.gif I will really work on my guitar sound for the next collaboration and see if I can't get the buzzing fixed. I have actually been working on my alternate and economy picking quite a bit lately and I am hoping that soon I will have it down to the point where I can actually use it in my playing. I am just much more confident with my sweeps, tapping and legato because I have worked on it so much more. All my guitar heroes in my early years were legato type players so I never really spent a lot of time with alternate picking. Thanks again for all your efforts on this collab. It has helped my playing immensely and been a lot of fun as well. biggrin.gif

Emir,
What do you think of Frank Gambale's style of picking. My ear really seems to be attracted to that sound and I have been working a lot lately out of his "speed picking" book. Contains a bunch of cool licks using economy picking. Thanks agin Emir, much appreciated and I'll definitely be back next month!! biggrin.gif

BTW, lcsdds is a password laugh.gif laugh.gif If I had known how active I would become on this site I would have picked a much cooler screen name!! LCS are my initials (my real name is LaMont) and DDS is what a Dentist gets for his degree when they graduate.

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Jan 30 2009, 07:02 PM

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 30 2009, 07:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Jan 30 2009, 06:00 PM) *
Hi Emir,
Thank you so much for your comments on my take. They were really helpful and really mean a lot coming from a player of your caliber. You mentioned that my arpeggios seem to use odd groupings and that is very true. In my early days I tried to learn a lot of EVH solos and it seems like he used a lot of quintuplets so that is something that has stuck in my playing. laugh.gif laugh.gif I will really work on my guitar sound for the next collaboration and see if I can't get the buzzing fixed. I have actually been working on my alternate and economy picking quite a bit lately and I am hoping that soon I will have it down to the point where I can actually use it in my playing. I am just much more confident with my sweeps, tapping and legato because I have worked on it so much more. All my guitar heroes in my early years were legato type players so I never really spent a lot of time with alternate picking. Thanks again for all your efforts on this collab. It has helped my playing immensely and been a lot of fun as well. biggrin.gif

Emir,
What do you think of Frank Gambale's style of picking. My ear really seems to be attracted to that sound and I have been working a lot lately out of his "speed picking" book. Contains a bunch of cool licks using economy picking. Thanks agin Emir, much appreciated and I'll definitely be back next month!! biggrin.gif

Thanks Monte, you are an awesome player. I know that EVH plays like that smile.gif But still in every of his phrases there is some logical structure that just works the way it is. He is a rock hero.

I have spoken to Gambale personaly a couple of years ago when he had a masterclass in my school. He is just a killer player. His picking is developed to an extremely high level and he is one of the best in the world. I know he uses sweep picking a lot but even he says that it works for some stuff and for some not. Depends what you are going for. If you want to sound more agressive with fast runs then AP just fits better. Learning both is only good for you. Gambale can also alternate pick whatever he thinks of but he can instantly switch from one to another technique any moment he wants. That's the advantage and he uses it when he needs it.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 30 2009, 07:54 PM
Just watched those new comments...
big laugh at lcsdds's two sayings: "sounds like a password" wink.gif and about Yngwie playing arpeggios: "but he's playing it so fast that it doesn't matter" laugh.gif

So many cool tips in all those... and I have to take to myself your comment about recording in small parts... I've recorded mine as a one whole - and just right between second and third part there're some strings sounding where they shouldn't do that already... that's where I could go for a separate record take... smile.gif Will do it next time, for sure.

ahh... by the way... you can pronounce my nick as "utaker" wink.gif or you can call me Piotr, eventually you can go for an English name Peter.

This post has been edited by utak3r: Jan 30 2009, 07:56 PM

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 30 2009, 08:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (utak3r @ Jan 30 2009, 06:54 PM) *
Just watched those new comments...
big laugh at lcsdds's two sayings: "sounds like a password" wink.gif and about Yngwie playing arpeggios: "but he's playing it so fast that it doesn't matter" laugh.gif

So many cool tips in all those... and I have to take to myself your comment about recording in small parts... I've recorded mine as a one whole - and just right between second and third part there're some strings sounding where they shouldn't do that already... that's where I could go for a separate record take... smile.gif Will do it next time, for sure.

ahh... by the way... you can pronounce my nick as "utaker" wink.gif or you can call me Piotr, eventually you can go for an English name Peter.

You are in the 3rd group so it won't be here today. I will do my best to pronounce your name right smile.gif

I am having problems with my camera again. If I don't solve the problem soon I will have to continue tomorrow. Sorry guys if you've been waiting but my camera switches on and off itself every 3-4 minutes. I have been trying to make Sondre's video for 1 hour and can't get my camera to last longer than 4 min. I think the camera got tired of all this smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 30 2009, 08:13 PM
Learning Rock Star
Emir, I have the same problem. Check the battery, maybe it isn´t sticking correctly to the contact. Try to use the cable to reload the battery. I record myself like this.

I can´t wait for my comment anymore! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 30 2009, 08:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Tolek @ Jan 30 2009, 07:13 PM) *
Emir, I have the same problem. Check the battery, maybe it isn´t sticking correctly to the contact. Try to use the cable to reload the battery. I record myself like this.

I can´t wait for my comment anymore! tongue.gif

The power cable is plugged non stop. This is something wring with the camera. I am still fixing it. Sorry for waiting but I think I will continue tomorrow. This is now killing me

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 30 2009, 08:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
Oh. sad.gif No pressure, even if I can´t wait, I can wait. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jan 30 2009, 08:27 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Alright Emir you convinced me if you spoke to Frank Gambale himself. laugh.gif laugh.gif I am DEFINTELY going to get some alternate picking chops this year. Do you know of a reputable store that I can buy some at? Preferably with a money back guarantee if I am not 100% satisfied with them after 30 days!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Thanks again and I can't wait for the next collab to apply all your tips!! My wife is going to learn to hate the initials GMC. laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Jan 30 2009, 07:08 PM) *
Thanks Monte, you are an awesome player. I know that EVH plays like that smile.gif But still in every of his phrases there is some logical structure that just works the way it is. He is a rock hero.

I have spoken to Gambale personaly a couple of years ago when he had a masterclass in my school. He is just a killer player. His picking is developed to an extremely high level and he is one of the best in the world. I know he uses sweep picking a lot but even he says that it works for some stuff and for some not. Depends what you are going for. If you want to sound more agressive with fast runs then AP just fits better. Learning both is only good for you. Gambale can also alternate pick whatever he thinks of but he can instantly switch from one to another technique any moment he wants. That's the advantage and he uses it when he needs it.

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 30 2009, 08:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Jan 30 2009, 07:27 PM) *
My wife is going to learn to hate the initials GMC. laugh.gif laugh.gif

My one already does smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 30 2009, 08:34 PM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Jan 30 2009, 05:35 PM) *
I have just seen you were talking to me in chat window but I was busy here with recording comments. Sorry I missed it.

There is really no the worst take. Every take has something great about itself. I think you are a very good player. Your ideas for music are great. When you have everything perfect (ideas, technique, recording etc...) then I can say PERFECT and still even if everything is perfect there is really no the worst take smile.gif

Sorry man, it was me devastated a little biggrin.gif but this motivates me for sure laugh.gif I'll be better for the next one, I promise that!...

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:35 AM