22 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Phil66's Bootcamp, Glory Awaits!!
Todd Simpson
Jan 31 2017, 10:13 PM
GMC:er
I think you are ready Soldier smile.gif There is always an element of learning as you in these missions. There is plenty more to cover and I'm happy with your progress on this particular technique. So I say ONWARD SOLDIER!!!!

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 31 2017, 02:54 AM) *
Thank you sarge,

I didn't expect to level up yet. To be honest with you, total practice time on this is no more than 30 minutes. If you want me to hold out on taking the badge and try to improve some more I will.

Cheers

Private Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 31 2017, 10:43 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Todd,

I've started on drill 5. I'm away in London from Thursday until Sunday for my wife's 50th birthday so I won't be able to practise then.

I noticed in the video, your pick looks like it isn't far from perpendicular to the strings. I've tried but it feels weird as my pick is pretty much parallel with the strings. Maybe my way hinders me and I need to adapt.

Cheers buddy.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 1 2017, 03:25 AM
Since my pick is very, very, very pointy, I can keep it nearly perpendicular to the string without issue. If the pick is less than very pointy, doing this tends to cause over reach and breaking the plane of the string too far to allow quick recovery. I choke up on the pick so that only the tip is used for the most part. This places my thumb "string adjacent" so that I don't have to shift my hand to hit pinch harmonics. I can pull them off anytime I like.

It's ok to hold the pick in whatever way is comfy, just try to choke up on the pick so that mostly the point sticks out and addresses the string and you don't want to break the plane of the string any more than you have to. Over committing to a single pick strike will cause you to take an extra millisecond to recover for the next strike. This is something we want to avoid for the long term. Eventually, you wont have the millisecond to spare as you run certain licks.

Take your fretting hand off the neck for a bit and focus on getting a comfy grip with your picking hand. Flatten the palm on the saddle/bridge or just above it whether you are muting or not, always be able to grab a mute, even "alternate mute" (e.g. mute every other note) sort of like being able to grab pinch harmonics at any point. If you place the hand well, you are not hit sideways when it's time to mute part of a lick/passage or hit a pinch, etc. it just flows smoothly smile.gif As it should. Some folks never quite get this and you can see on their face that a mute and or pinch is coming up and they change their entire hand position to prep for it. Then change back.

So focus on your pick hand for a bit, till it feels more comfy smile.gif Also, focus on not tensing, tensing kills.

Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 31 2017, 05:43 PM) *
Thanks Todd,

I've started on drill 5. I'm away in London from Thursday until Sunday for my wife's 50th birthday so I won't be able to practise then.

I noticed in the video, your pick looks like it isn't far from perpendicular to the strings. I've tried but it feels weird as my pick is pretty much parallel with the strings. Maybe my way hinders me and I need to adapt.

Cheers buddy.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 19 2017, 08:59 PM
Hello Todd,

Things are settling down a little bit here now, I'm starting to work on drill 5, I can't give it 30 minutes a night though, maybe 10. I just nearly worked up to 300bpm with one note per beat but I lost it at around the 9th fret so had to slow it down again.

Cheers buddy.

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 20 2017, 09:37 PM
Are you using a sharp pick? if not, give one a shot or use a pocket knife and carve a pick to a nice point. It really helps reduce the way picks sometimes hang on a given string so it makes things a lot easier later on as string traverse becomes more and more part of things. Keep at it and I look forward to your vid!

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 19 2017, 03:59 PM) *
Hello Todd,

Things are settling down a little bit here now, I'm starting to work on drill 5, I can't give it 30 minutes a night though, maybe 10. I just nearly worked up to 300bpm with one note per beat but I lost it at around the 9th fret so had to slow it down again.

Cheers buddy.

Phil

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 20 2017, 10:18 PM
Thanks Todd,

I use these, Been Higgins like them too. I think Petrucci's picks are based on them too.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 21 2017, 08:26 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 21 2017, 06:10 AM
Nice!!!

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 20 2017, 05:18 PM) *
Thanks Todd,

I use these, Been Higgins like them too. I think Petrucci's pic ok s are based on them too.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 16 2017, 08:10 PM
Talking to the Boss now, looks like we may be able to work something out so I"ll let you know asap smile.gif

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 18 2017, 06:00 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 14 2018, 11:16 AM
Sorry but what was your post above in relation to?

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 14 2018, 07:23 PM
From way back when I didn't know if I was staying on!

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 14 2018, 06:16 AM) *
Sorry but what was your post above in relation to?

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 14 2018, 08:43 PM
It was out of the blue mate, we hadn't mentioned anything about you not staying on wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 14 2018, 08:43 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 16 2018, 03:09 AM
Kris and I had spoke about it a while back and I'm glad that I"m staying smile.gif Could have just posted by accident. I hope you get to take a stab at this weeks quick licks!! It's a finger twister!

Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 14 2018, 03:43 PM) *
It was out of the blue mate, we hadn't mentioned anything about you not staying on wink.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 18 2018, 01:59 PM
I will mate, just takes me time to get sequences into my fingers rolleyes.gif and I've had the chore of my car insurance to sort out mad.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 20 2018, 09:26 PM
I hear ya. Life can get in the way of important things like GUITAR!!! smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 18 2018, 08:59 AM) *
I will mate, just takes me time to get sequences into my fingers rolleyes.gif and I've had the chore of my car insurance to sort out mad.gif

Cheers

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 19 2018, 04:04 AM
Soldier!!! As Metallica would say "BACK TO THE FRONT!!!" smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 14 2019, 09:11 PM
BootCamp drill 5 take 1 up for critique. It's a bit shakey in parts.

https://youtu.be/pdTfJhgzTjg

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 14 2019, 09:34 PM
You had it going strong until 26 seconds in when your fingers seem to lose the flow and stumble a bit. You recover very nicely! You start strong and end strong which is great. This one is about consistency over a length of ground so I have to send you back to the FRONT to fight again. Don't feel you have to push the speed to the point where you start trippinng over your own fingers as this is counterproductive. Play recorded missions at a speed that is comfortable. Speed is a simple matter of repetition. It's more importan that you synch the right and left hand over an over without a slip. Also, you are barely using any gain at all, which is fine if that's what you want to do, but I'd suggest maybe a pinch more since I can't hear your palm mute very well. With a bit of gain it changes how the strings sound when muted, they sound more metallic.

ONCE MORE IN TO THE BREACH!!
Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 14 2019, 04:11 PM) *
BootCamp drill 5 take 1 up for critique. It's a bit shakey in parts.

https://youtu.be/pdTfJhgzTjg

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 14 2019, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the advice Sarge. I'll do my best. Do you accept accuracy over speed in this boot camp?

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 14 2019, 11:03 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 15 2019, 03:16 AM
Speed is just a byproduct of precision and repetition. It's Precision that always matters most in Bootcamp!

Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 14 2019, 05:05 PM) *
Thanks for the advice Sarge. I'll do my best. Do you accept accuracy over speed in this boot camp?

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 17 2019, 08:54 PM
Take 2 Sarge. I feel I could have gone quicker and didn't push myself enough sad.gif

https://youtu.be/EnLvZUwuj98

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

22 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:48 PM